[Unofficial LTT] NZXT H440 Owners Club

On 1/7/2017 at 5:14 PM, HadesLV said:

I am intending to buy the NZXT H440 by the time I receive my next paycheck and as I was looking at it in the internet shop I am intending to buy it from, a question arose. I know that the case has a nice fan hub, which was one of the selling points for me in fact, as I was previously looking at cases with inbuilt fan controllers, but decided that a fan hub would be fine as well, especially in such a nice case. But on the page of the internet shop in the description, it says this about the fan hub: "Integrated PWM fan control hub allows for motherboard based fan control." Now this confused me quite a bit, because from what I had read before then is that the fan hub just connects with a molex cable and is on at 100% at all times. So is this just a mistake on the part of the shop(entirely possibly an intentional mistake) or has NZXT made a change to the fan hub that wasn't there previously, to make it connect to the motherboard for software based control? Or did I just misunderstand the way the hub works in the first place? I am guessing it is just a mistake, but I wanted to clarify, maybe with someone who has bought the case very recently in case it really is some kind of recent change.

The Fan hub is nice but I do not remember everything about it and I can not tell if it was ever updated. 

I will be honest, I would not recommend it unless you really have to. The side panel is on very tight, and it will press against those fan headers. If you will plan your build, get a motherboard that has enough fan ports and PWM extensions if you need. 

Hey guys,

I've bought the NZXT h440 Razer edition and I love it, however the fan hub is leaving me confused. I've connected it to the PSU and all the fans are at full speed, wich I believe is normal. But I want them to lower their speed at low system usage, so I tried to connect my CPU cooler to the fan hub using the included cable and then connect the hub to the CPU cooler slot on the mobo. I did this in two different ways, the first time I left the PSU connector connected to the hub, and all the fans were still spinning at full speed, the second time I unplugged the PSU and none of the fans were spinning.
So I went on forums and tried this: Connecting all the fans to hub except the CPU cooler and connecting the hub to the system fan slot of the mobo and none of them were running, then I plugged the PSU connector and the same thing happenned, they all went full speed.
So basically my question is: Can you control the fan speed of the case using the hub?

Sorry for long post and thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Alarihk said:

Hey guys,

I've bought the NZXT h440 Razer edition and I love it, however the fan hub is leaving me confused. I've connected it to the PSU and all the fans are at full speed, wich I believe is normal. But I want them to lower their speed at low system usage, so I tried to connect my CPU cooler to the fan hub using the included cable and then connect the hub to the CPU cooler slot on the mobo. I did this in two different ways, the first time I left the PSU connector connected to the hub, and all the fans were still spinning at full speed, the second time I unplugged the PSU and none of the fans were spinning.
So I went on forums and tried this: Connecting all the fans to hub except the CPU cooler and connecting the hub to the system fan slot of the mobo and none of them were running, then I plugged the PSU connector and the same thing happenned, they all went full speed.
So basically my question is: Can you control the fan speed of the case using the hub?

Have you tried controlling through software? ie: CAM?

4 hours ago, zainbrain said:

Have you tried controlling through software? ie: CAM?

Okay I've downloaded CAM, I'm going to try this, but before I start do you have any configuration suggestion, In the hub connections I mean, in order for me to not try hundreds of configurations and reboot?

Thanks for your response

@Alarihk Unfortunately I don't have any config suggestions, since I myself am just about to begin the build process using the h440. What I can say, is that my case came with the built in hub as well as the Grid+v2. The way I plan on hooking up my 6 front intake fans, 2 top exhaust fans, and 1 rear exhaust fan is using fan cable splitters to only use 4 pwm ports off the Grid+v2.

16 hours ago, Alarihk said:

no

use either a grid v2 or the headers on your board

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

5 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

no

use either a grid v2 or the headers on your board

Okay thanks to both of you, what a shame that the razer edition doesn't come with a grid with that price premium.

I'll connect them to the mobo headers and later buy a grid.

On 2/11/2017 at 0:36 AM, airdeano said:

possible? clearance issues of the VRM H'Sinks/RAM and tubing from the CPU could get fouled pretty easy.

a simple 360x60 should be able to cool a CPU/GPU with voltage overclocking.

i agree without doubt but its too late now Money is gonez 

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

So this is my crazy build. Wanted to just how much I could fit in this case. This is my second build with a H440, first one was a black and red one.

Build list..

H440

MSI Godlike Carbon x99

5820k CPU @4.4ghz 

Dual EVGA 1080 GTX's 

16 gigs of Corsair White LED

Dual XSPC EX360's

XSPC Photon 170 D5 

6xML120 Corsair fans (dead silent with my fan curve)

XSPC Raystorm cpu cooler

EK 1080 GPU blocks and back plates

primochill tubing and fittings

Few pictures of the build let me know what you think. 

IMG_20170102_131628.jpg

IMG_20170102_131718.jpg

IMG_20170212_143847.jpg

IMG_20170212_195327.jpg

IMG_20170212_200132.jpg

IMG_20170217_163102.jpg

IMG_20170218_210014.jpg

Here is my NZXT H440 Build

i7 7700K 4.6ghz

Z270 Sabertooth TUF Mark 1

48GB of HyperX Fury RAM

GTX Titan X Pascal

3TB HDD

512GB 960 Pro SSD 

1000W EVGA P2

EK Custom loop

Not finished yet, still need to fit glass side panel, fit pump cover & finish of 64GB RAM.

I'll take more pics when it's finished hopefully next week.

Let me know what you think

fhf.png

Gaming Rig:  Case: Modified  NZXT H440 Black/Red | Storage: 512GB Samsung 960 Pro SSD & 3TB WD Black HDD | CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K | Motherboard: Z270 Sabertooth TUF Mark 1 | PSU: 1000W EVGA P2 | Graphics Card: GTX Titan X Pascal | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz | Cooling: X3 RES, CoolStream XE 360 Rad, Gold EK Supremacy EVO, D5 PWM EK Pump, Ice Dragon Nano Fluid 2Litre | Fans: 6x Corsair SP120 PWM Fans 1x Corsair AF 140 | Cables: CableMod Black/Red Braided cable kit | Case Mods: Tempered Glass front panel & Tempered Glass Side Panel (Finished) 

Setup: Monitors: Ben XR3501 2x Acer GN246HLBbid 24 | Keyboard: K70 & K95 Vengeace RGB Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Razer Deathadder & Corsair Scimitar RGB | TV: 43" LG 4K Smart TV, 50" Samsung 4K 

Laptop: ASUS ZenBook UX310UA-FB097T

Racing Cockpit Setup  GT Omega Pro with TV stand | 52 inch Bush Smart TV | Fanatec CS v2.5 | Fanatec CSL Elite LC | Fanatec P1 & Formula Rim | Corsair Strafe Blue MX RGB

Racing Cockpit PC: Case: Unknown cheap case from Amazon (modified to fit GTX 1080 & Cooler) | Storage: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro | CPU: i7 7700k | Motherboard: MSI Z170 | PSU: 750W EVGA Gold | Graphics Card: GTX 1080 | RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB 2400mhz | Cooling: Hydro 100i | Fans: 4x Corsair SP120 PWN fans | Cables: Standard PSU Cables | Case Mods: Making room for GTX 1080 & Cooler.

• 4 weeks later...

ok so here are my thoughts, i can use a piece of plexi to stand the front bezel off from the case, then i can use a HUE+ strip to light that plexi to make a super sexy and thematic case to go with my strix MoBo and graphics card, however i don't have a case in front of me so i was wondering if the clips that hold the bezel on can be removed and then stood off the same thickness as the plexi. im open to suggestions.

38 minutes ago, Wstephens55 said:

ok so here are my thoughts, i can use a piece of plexi to stand the front bezel off from the case, then i can use a HUE+ strip to light that plexi to make a super sexy and thematic case to go with my strix MoBo and graphics card, however i don't have a case in front of me so i was wondering if the clips that hold the bezel on can be removed and then stood off the same thickness as the plexi. im open to suggestions.

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

the front cover uses 6 pegs that spring-lock into holes in the chassis. hacking those off and transplanting them onto the plexi will be a serious challenge as they will prolly break off on the first front panel removal.you might be able to replace them with velcro or a suitable replacement made of metal or a socket solution.

NZXT_H440_0029.JPG

613834GlhLL._SY355_PIbundle-4,TopRight,0

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2017 at 5:45 PM, Makeroflostsouls said:

IMG_20170218_210014.jpg

I really want to see more pictures of this. especially that top right corner. 

Hi Guys,

First time here :D So i jus gotten the H440 Case and i love IT BUT i have an issue with the Fan Controller :( i can't seem to set the fan speeds on the Bios however i did manage to control the fans on the AIO but not the front case fans and exhaust fans ? Do any of you guys use the Fan Controller on the case or do you use the MB fan headers ?

Thanks in advance for any support!

Jimmy 

No build log, sorry..

NZXT H440 Silent with 4 stock fans

MSI Z270 Tomahawk

7700K @ 5GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 AIO

16GB 3200 Corsair Dominator red LED

GTX 1080 MSI Aero OC

Intel 160GB SSD for Windows

Samsung 500GB for games

WD Red 3TB 

WD Red 2TB

Corsair 650w psu 

Pretty happy with the case, has it for close to a year now. It does lack a bit in airflow though. 

Guys, you're the only ones who can help. The Internet and reddit are useless.

I want to buy H440 and nobody can answer these questions for me:

1. The case has 3pin fans. Can you connect them to the motherboard and control the speeds? (In new motherboards for am4) I don't like when my fans run at 100% all the time

2. How is the temperature with ryzen's stock cooler?

3. If someone had silent base 600, do you know how it compares silence-wise?

At least one of these questions answered and I'm happy as a mooncat!

3 minutes ago, knightfury said:

Guys, you're the only ones who can help. The Internet and reddit are useless.

I want to buy H440 and nobody can answer these questions for me:

1. The case has 3pin fans. Can you connect them to the motherboard and control the speeds? (In new motherboards for am4) I don't like when my fans run at 100% all the time

2. How is the temperature with ryzen's stock cooler?

3. If someone had silent base 600, do you know how it compares silence-wise?

At least one of these questions answered and I'm happy as a mooncat!

1. on the older h440 v1, there is a 3-pin fan hub that has reduced voltage from the PSU. otherwise, yes, you can run them from a motherboard and the UEFI fan controls.
  2. many have overclocks on a spire/wraith coolers. for extra comfort an aftermarket HSF/AIO would be best.
  3. the 600 is prolly quieter (no window), but does run a bit warmer internally.

26 minutes ago, airdeano said:

1. on the older h440 v1, there is a 3-pin fan hub that has reduced voltage from the PSU. otherwise, yes, you can run them from a motherboard and the UEFI fan controls.
  2. many have overclocks on a spire/wraith coolers. for extra comfort an aftermarket HSF/AIO would be best.
  3. the 600 is prolly quieter (no window), but does run a bit warmer internally.

1. So I can connect all the stock fans to a motherboard? Does each of them connect to their own header and I can control each of them separately? Do I need a 3pin to 4pin adapter? Or do I utilize the hub?

2. Cool, thanks

3. Strange, silentpcreview got results that were contrary to what you're saying. Silent base was cooler, but h440 was quieter

6 hours ago, knightfury said:

1. So I can connect all the stock fans to a motherboard? Does each of them connect to their own header and I can control each of them separately? Do I need a 3pin to 4pin adapter? Or do I utilize the hub?

2. Cool, thanks

3. Strange, silentpcreview got results that were contrary to what you're saying. Silent base was cooler, but h440 was quieter

1. yes, you can hook them all up on the motherboard. amount is determined to the motherboard manufacturer. yes, they can be controlled separately, with no adapters needed. the hub is for non-motherboard use.
  2. anytime
  3. in stock trim, that could be said, but most users will upgrade their fans and find the heat issue to be null. a window cannot be quiet over insulated side panels.

17 minutes ago, airdeano said:
  1. yes, you can hook them all up on the motherboard. amount is determined to the motherboard manufacturer. yes, they can be controlled separately, with no adapters needed. the hub is for non-motherboard use.
  2. anytime
  3. in stock trim, that could be said, but most users will upgrade their fans and find the heat issue to be null. a window cannot be quiet over insulated side panels.

1. Could you please explain how can a 3pin fan be controlled if it lacks the fourth pin needed for control?

7 minutes ago, knightfury said:

1. Could you please explain how can a 3pin fan be controlled if it lacks the fourth pin needed for control?

4th pin is for PWM control, not DC mode control. the motherboard should have DC mode to control voltage. only need two pins (power/ground) the third is just a tach signal showing it is in use.

9 hours ago, airdeano said:

4th pin is for PWM control, not DC mode control. the motherboard should have DC mode to control voltage. only need two pins (power/ground) the third is just a tach signal showing it is in use.

So I'll be able to control the fans through Speedfan? And slow them down according to temperature?

and the ultimate question:

if my pc would be at idle and I'd be sleeping 2 meters away from it, would I be able to hear it/stock fans?

15 hours ago, knightfury said:

and the ultimate question:

if my pc would be at idle and I'd be sleeping 2 meters away from it, would I be able to hear it/stock fans?

with fans at 100%, sure. at 5volts it'll be quiet.

• 1 month later...

Finally got my build done in this case :D 

image.jpg

"Hyper Demon" Build: 

Case: NZXT H440 Hyper Beast.  CPU: AMD R9 3900x (cooled by a KrakeX62).  GPU: AMD XFX RX 6900XT Merc 319 Black.  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 32GB ram @3600mhz.  Mobo: Asus Crosshair VI hero. PSU: Corsair RM850x.  Boot drive: Samsung 960 evo 500gb nvme ssd.  Game storage: Samsung 860 evo 1TB SATA SSD.  Bulk storage: WD Black 2TB.