Motherboard USB Header broke

Hi

I cleaned my PC not too long ago and i unplugged all the cables to do it. And when i unplugged the USB Header one of the top pins broke. I know that one of them is missing by default. But one actually came out.

It fall on my floor and i couldn't find it because it was too small. Now my USB in the front of my PC case is not working because of that. Is there any way to fix this? I suppose i need to take it to a store so they can fix it (if they can).

But i wanted to ask if there's any way to fix it even?

Annotation 2020-03-25 223502.png

you could find a usb 3.0 replacement header and solder it on ooooooooorrrr you could buy a usb expansion card for your pci-ex slot and use that instead and hopefully the USB cord is long enough to reach the card

No sir ,

That issue can only be solved by Getting a Brand New Motherboard.

No repair shop can do Board Level repairs unless it’s the Manufacturer themselves.

when did you buy the Motherboard itself?

I guess you can also try to use it without that pin

A girl who loves to love.

@Peteboii I agree with @TylerDurden!. Find a replacement USB 3.0 IDC header at Molex or TE, and take your board to almost any certified electrician or experienced welder. They can desolder the old part safely, and then resoldering the new one is quick and easy.

The two pins on one end are the Vbus pins, basically they give power to that usb connector.

The USB header is for two separate usb connectors, one line for each usb connector.

Someone CAN solder a new pin there, or even a new header, it's a standard 2x10 pin 0.1" header nothing fancy or special.

It would cost money though.

If it's indeed the Vbus pin that broke, a quick hack you could do is to get a tiny length of solid core wire, strip the insulation, make a couple twists around the existing Vbus pin and then shape it to be like that broken pin. Could also be soldered... Or, can be a longer length,a few cm, allowing you to insert the other end of the solid core wire into the connector, before you insert the connector into the header.

Image result for usb 3 pinout

17 minutes ago, Aimi said:

I guess you can also try to use it without that pin

I tried. I have it plugged it like that now and it doesn't work.

24 minutes ago, Alienware 15 R2 said:

No sir ,

That issue can only be solved by Getting a Brand New Motherboard.

No repair shop can do Board Level repairs unless it’s the Manufacturer themselves.

when did you buy the Motherboard itself?

I bought it around december last year.

If ASUS won't replace the motherboard, then I don't think it's worth the trouble trying to repair it or finding someone to. The most convenient fix for the time being would be a PCIE USB 3.1 card, which would take place of that header. If you have spare USB 3 or 3.1 ports on the back of your motherboard you could try getting an adapter cable with a header on the end and run that into your case, but it would look a bit jank.

Screenshot_219.png

Screenshot_220.png

42 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The two pins on one end are the Vbus pins, basically they give power to that usb connector.

The USB header is for two separate usb connectors, one line for each usb connector.

Someone CAN solder a new pin there, or even a new header, it's a standard 2x10 pin 0.1" header nothing fancy or special.

If it's indeed the Vbus pin that broke, a quick hack you could do is to get a tiny length of solid core wire, strip the insulation, make a couple twists around the existing Vbus pin and then shape it to be like that broken pin. Could also be soldered... Or, can be a longer length,a few cm, allowing you to insert the other end of the solid core wire into the connector, before you insert the connector into the header.

Listen to this guy.  He knows his sh*t.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

• 1 year later...
On 3/25/2020 at 11:14 PM, mariushm said:

Hi Mariushm, 

I have the ROG
CROSSHAIR VIII DARK Hero X570 and the Vbus (PIN 1) pin is broken. The issue is that the USB header is a 90 degree piece and I can't (to my knowledge) simply desolder the faulty pin and replace it with a new one. if I want to replace the header would it be possible with a simple solder? Because I would need to desolder the 19 pin almost at the same time to avoid the solder to cool down and be unable to remove the faulty header. 

I'm tempted to try your quick fix with the wire twisted around the remaining pin but if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated. 

Best regards

Screenshot_20211228-092549__01.jpg

Screenshot_20211228-080558__01.jpg

You can just add solder to all the pins on the back, basically flood the back of the connector with solder ... make two lines of solder covering the two rows of pins, then you can alternate between heating up one row of solder and then the other while slowly lifting the connector (you could use a small screwdriver as a crowbar)