S20 Ultra camera issue - Manual Focus in Pro mode

Dodam

I just got my S20 Ultra in the mail and noticed an issue while playing with the camera.

In Pro mode (which is the only way to shoot RAW) with manual focus, the entire scene goes out of focus when the focus is set to infinity, and there's no way to get distant objects to focus in MF. Autofocus does focus just fine in Pro mode though. Here's a comparison shot:

Spoiler

pjimage.thumb.jpg.4305336ba7a1a690ce7d95c38a184d21.jpg

The top images are from the regular camera mode, the middle images are from Pro mode with AF, and the last images are from Pro mode with MF.

A Korean YouTuber noted this in a video about a month ago and tested 10 different units - apparently about half of them had this issue.

Do other owners have this issue as well, and does anyone know if Samsung is aware of / working on this issue?

It's definitely a software issue, so I assume it'll be fixed shortly, especially if it affects a large number of units.

HOWEVER there are never any guarantees.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Oh, I did some further testing and it looks like mine's one of the ones that can actually focus correctly as long as I don't move the MF slider all the way. Infinite focal length is actually at something like 2 bars below the maximum, so the slider is "too long" and just isn't calibrated properly.

Here's a GIF of what happens when it's the other way around and slider is too short though, from a Korean blog - the farthest his phone could focus to in MF was something like 20m, even though AF worked fine (the picture before the one linked is a comparison)https://m.blog.naver.com/gamja321/221837995268?view=img_6

I guess they just forgot to calibrate the MF sliders on their $1,400 phone where one of the main selling points is the camera.

6 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

It's definitely a software issue, so I assume it'll be fixed shortly, especially if it affects a large number of units.

HOWEVER there are never any guarantees.

Is Samsung they aren't renown for software speediness or just having good software at all really. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?