I think I have a dead or stuck pixel

ToxicGhost98

Now I don't know what causes this, and I have only had this monitor for two months, so I'm not sure if  I got a dead or stuck pixel on the top right corner of my AOC monitor, but I have used JscreenFix to get rid of it, 10 minutes later nothing changed, and if I put my cursor over the colored pixels to fix it, I can see the bad pixel over the cursor. Is this supposed to happen or what?

2 minutes ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

I can see the bad pixel over the cursor. Is this supposed to happen or what?

No, this is not supposed to happen.

RMA the monitor.

What color is the dead/stuck pixel? How many is it?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

RMA the monitor.

It looks grey/black, and it is one. Will it spread?

19 minutes ago, minibois said:

RMA the monitor.

Almost all manufacturers will refuse RMA if its only a single stuck/dead pixel, ESPECIALLY if its in a corner.

You need to check the manual/warranty card where it should specify their stuck/dead pixel policy.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Almost all manufacturers will refuse RMA if its only a single stuck/dead pixel, ESPECIALLY if its in a corner.

Well AOC accepts RMA for even one I read it online.

9 minutes ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

Well AOC accepts RMA for even one I read it online.

Nice.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

So does anyone have an easy way on how to tell if a pixel is either dead or stuck? Also is there a way to prevent them from even showing up in the first place?

18 minutes ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

So does anyone have an easy way on how to tell if a pixel is either dead or stuck?

If the pixel is grey, or black, it could be dead or stuck. If it's a color, then it's stuck.

18 minutes ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

Also is there a way to prevent them from even showing up in the first place?

Yes, purchase a monitor that doesn't have any manufacturing defects, or try to RMA this one.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

39 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You need to check the manual/warranty card where it should specify their stuck/dead pixel policy.

Depends on what class of monitor it is.

With class 1 it would be replaced, but with class 2+ you're right.

But part of the RMA process is getting in contact with the company who produced the product (or the store), which will of course inquire about the amount of dead/stuck pixels.

It's not up to me to assume how the manufacturer will handle this, especially when I don't even know what monitor we're talking about.

24 minutes ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

So does anyone have an easy way on how to tell if a pixel is either dead or stuck? Also is there a way to prevent them from even showing up in the first place?

dead = black

stuck = anything else (blue, red, green, or a combo of these; white, purple, brown)

A dead or stuck pixel is a manufacturing defect, where one or multiple of the subpixels (because every pixel on your monitor is 3 LEDs) do not behave as they should. There is nothing you can do about it. You either have dead pixels, or you don't.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Update: Idk if it’s just me but I feel like it’s starting to slowly disappear. Can that even happen? This time I let Jscreenfix run for 30 minutes. I also tried to use my hand to kinda put a little pressure to get it out, and it kinda moved up to the top right corner even closer.

1 hour ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

Update: Idk if it’s just me but I feel like it’s starting to slowly disappear. Can that even happen? This time I let Jscreenfix run for 30 minutes. I also tried to use my hand to kinda put a little pressure to get it out, and it kinda moved up to the top right corner even closer.

Massaging can be risky, as you can end up breaking other pixels or doing more severe damage.  If you end up leaving pressure damage then that could be a huge problem trying to get it replaced under warranty.

Yes, sometimes they will recover slowly over a long period of time by simply exercising the pixel as Jscreenfix attempts to do, but there's no guarantees it would be a permanent fix.  Then again, there are no guarantees a brand new screen wouldn't develop the same problem either, its just one of those things.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Massaging can be risky, as you can end up breaking other pixels or doing more severe damage.  If you end up leaving pressure damage then that could be a huge problem trying to get it replaced under warranty.

Yes, sometimes they will recover slowly over a long period of time by simply exercising the pixel as Jscreenfix attempts to do, but there's no guarantees it would be a permanent fix.  Then again, there are no guarantees a brand new screen wouldn't develop the same problem either, its just one of those things.

I see, thanks for the info!

12 hours ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

I see, thanks for the info!

That said, I never used to have pixel issues.  My current monitor and one of my laptops is the first time I've ever had dead/stuck pixels.

The laptop makes sense, its been knocking around in transit, but the monitor is disappointing.  It doesn't even look like stuck pixels, looks like a dirty mark but I think that's because its stuck sub-pixels on a 4K monitor, so they are so small you can't see them individually.

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That said, I never used to have pixel issues.  My current monitor and one of my laptops is the first time I've ever had dead/stuck pixels.

The laptop makes sense, its been knocking around in transit, but the monitor is disappointing.  It doesn't even look like stuck pixels, looks like a dirty mark but I think that's because its stuck sub-pixels on a 4K monitor, so they are so small you can't see them individually.

I don't get it what exactly causes this? I have a desktop like does this happen naturally? Because I only had it for like 2 months.

27 minutes ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

I don't get it what exactly causes this? I have a desktop like does this happen naturally? Because I only had it for like 2 months.

Depends on the quality of the panel, it's very common in lower end panels and there are many causes. Nothing you can do to really prevent it. A lot of cheaper monitors will have them on arrival or develop them over time, nicer high quality expensive monitors from well known manufacturers that use high quality panels don't get them as often, and almost never arrive with them unless something in transit caused them because they usually check for it in Q.A. before sending it out. AOC is one of the monitor manufacturers I would consider in the mid range of products, not a huge fan myself but they definitely aren't the worst. You have three real options with the monitor: 1. Deal with it, hope it goes away and doesn't get worse. 2. RMA it and wait a couple weeks to get a replacement, that may or may not have or develop the same issue. 3. See if you can still return it or try to sell it and get a new monitor from a different manufacturer.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

6 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Depends on the quality of the panel, it's very common in lower end panels and there are many causes. Nothing you can do to really prevent it. A lot of cheaper monitors will have them on arrival or develop them over time, nicer high quality expensive monitors from well known manufacturers that use high quality panels don't get them as often, and almost never arrive with them unless something in transit caused them because they usually check for it in Q.A. before sending it out. AOC is one of the monitor manufacturers I would consider in the mid range of products, not a huge fan myself but they definitely aren't the worst. You have three real options with the monitor: 1. Deal with it, hope it goes away and doesn't get worse. 2. RMA it and wait a couple weeks to get a replacement, that may or may not have or develop the same issue. 3. See if you can still return it or try to sell it and get a new monitor from a different manufacturer.

You're right but I honestly don't even know if it is a dead pixel. It looks kinda white sometimes like it's not dark black all the time. I also used MSI afterburner and increased the PC power limiter slightly and the fan speed. Did that have anything to do with it?

On 3/22/2020 at 8:40 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

I really don’t know if it’s dead. It doesn’t look that black. Sometimes it’s grey and it can be slightly looking transparent when I put the cursor over it. I feel like it didn’t dissapear at all. I feel like it was my imagination the whole time. But when I record it through my camera phone using a color tester, I can slightly see color over it.

2 hours ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

I really don’t know if it’s dead. It doesn’t look that black. Sometimes it’s grey and it can be slightly looking transparent when I put the cursor over it. I feel like it didn’t dissapear at all. I feel like it was my imagination the whole time. But when I record it through my camera phone using a color tester, I can slightly see color over it.

They aren't always dead, they can just be faulty where it comes and goes, or a sub-pixel (one specific colour component of a pixel).

45 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

They aren't always dead, they can just be faulty where it comes and goes, or a sub-pixel (one specific colour component of a pixel).

Here’s what it looks like from up close camera. See it? It doesn’t look like a pixel up close

0463C0B7-38F7-4CAA-A88E-E5DB4EEDCE81.png

It actually might not be a dead pixel. I think it is dust. It's inside the monitor screen so how do I clean it out?