The BEST Wireless Gaming Headset (and the worst...)

ColinLTT
36 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

So I ended up sending them back, and going back to my lovely G930's.

Can imagine, if they're anything close to the G935 these are the best sounding headset I've ever had (and I have a bunch of headsets and earbuds, Bose, Sony). Would be easy to be disappointed after that...

18 minutes ago, Endymion-fr said:

Difficulties to read the title ? "BEST Wireless"

Most wireless headsets also have an input for those times where you want to use them with something else than a PC. Some can also mix the sound coming from the cable and from the wireless connection.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 minutes ago, Endymion-fr said:

Difficulties to read the title ? "BEST Wireless"

🙄🙄🙄

I actually love my Cloud Flights, they are a bit bass-less for sure, but for gaming this was never a priority in my opinion. Looking forward to try those equalizer settings.

quick question: why are there to profiles for the flights?

When using the equalizerAPO software do I just open it and configure it and leave it open or can i close the software and it will still work?

My long-standing complaint is that I can't have  PeaceEqualizer APO installed at the same time as Logitech's G software (G933). When I do, the Center Channel and other surround channels disapear and I'm missing a bunch of sounds in games. I need the 3rd party equaliser because there's no l/r balance control

Wow, first "meh" review of the arctis 7 ive seen in a while.

I can say, with an EQ i am very happy with them. Also, have gotten nothing but compliments from long time online friends who had to listen to me through my corsair void pro's prior. The issue with headband tension hasnt really been one with me, and i have a fairly large head.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

The Astro A50's would sound much better if you turned up the bandwidth. They, for all I know, could still not sound as good of others, but you are bottle necking them by limiting their bandwidth. When I adjusted the settings and turned up the bandwidth from your screenshot, the sound becomes much fuller and light details in a song surface. 

Note that the EQ for Cloud Alpha is good for MUSIC ONLY. I tried it using in game and it sounded so muffled like it was coming from a tin can. The headset was made for gaming and it's good for gaming. The environment the EQ was made for, I am 99% sure is not games were you actually need to hear stuff clear with lower bass (the reason I hate anything Razer related) and not distorted with BIG BOOMS like we're on D-Day.

Thanks for the initiative, at least I found a good program to tweak the EQ a little :) 

Is it just me or the EqualizerAPO settings for the HyperX Cloud Flight just make it quieter?

Ryzen 7 5800X - Noctua NH-D15S - 32GB 3000MHz - MSI Ventus 3X RTX 3070 Ti - 500GB 970 Evo - 1TB Sabrent Rocket - 1TB + 4TB WD Blue - NZXT S340 Elite

Acer XV252QF 390hz - 2x BenQ GL2450 - Corsair K68 MX Red - Vaxee Zygen NP-01S - Gamesense Radar Pad - Sennheiser HD 560S - Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

For the Astro A50's, the sound profile you have there is extremely muffled. I suggest trying the ZaliaS Astro A50 gen 4 sound profiles, in particular the Pure Audio or Arcturus one, they are far superior and really make the A50's far better than what you had. Attatched is the Arcturus profile which leans more towards the highs, definitely give that a go though.  

image.png

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Is it just me or the EqualizerAPO settings for the HyperX Cloud Flight just make it quieter?

i think so bro

I've tested the Arctis 7 and the bass response isn't good from my experience. The Cloud Flights sound much better imo but there is one big flaw with them after getting 3 replacements. Background hissing/white noise when you turn then on. It doesn't matter if it's connected to the receiver or not, there is an audible hissing/white noise when either soft music is playing or nothing at all. Either I got a bad batch of 3 replacements or it's just a defect during the design process for the Cloud Flights.

But I think it's a defect considering there's quite a lot of posts about this issue on HyperX's subreddit.

Hey Colin, thank you for providing all these EQs. I have a different HyperX Cloud model (wired), but afaik all the cheap HyperX headphones use the same drivers, so I believe these same EQs should work identically, or nearly identically? I'm about to try it anyways, so I guess we'll see if it sounds better, at least!

38 minutes ago, sfks said:

Hey Colin, thank you for providing all these EQs. I have a different HyperX Cloud model (wired), but afaik all the cheap HyperX headphones use the same drivers, so I believe these same EQs should work identically, or nearly identically? I'm about to try it anyways, so I guess we'll see if it sounds better, at least!

Hmm, I looked up the spec sheets for the HyperX Cloud Flights vs. the other HyperX headphones. They appear to be similar but non-identical drivers, and the non-wireless models have slightly better frequency response. I don't know very much about sound engineering, is anyone able to tell me if the same EQ settings should apply equally well to all of these HyperX models, or possibly even link a professional review of the HyperX Cloud or Cloud X that includes 15-band EQ settings? Thank you in advance!

HyperX Cloud Flights:
Driver: Dynamic, 50mm with neodymium magnets
Frequency response (wireless mode): 20Hz–20,000Hz
Impedance: 32Ω

HyperX Cloud:
Driver: Dynamic, 53mm with neodymium magnets
Frequency response: 15Hz–20,000Hz
Impedance: 60Ω

HyperX Cloud X:
(my headphones, used with HyperX USB soundcard dongle)
Driver: Dynamic, 53mm with neodymium magnets
Frequency response: 15Hz–20,000Hz
Impedance: 41Ω

two gamer household with hyperx models and we just downloaded and used the settings you guys worked out on APO. 

I think it noticeably smooths and evens the sound, and honestly I'm really grateful we saw this so we could get a more well rounded sound out of our headsets. Appreciate you sharing this info so much, I made this account to say so. 

14 hours ago, Dunny said:

I found the reason that default gain option is -6db on top of the software ui, you should change the default "gain" option to 0db or higher.

I liked that this video had Closed Captions. Pretty useful for me as I'm in a noisy environment.

Also, it was mentioned that there was an upcoming video about game streaming services. Unless there is going to be another, I assume it was a mistake in timing.

Can you upload numerical digits for the hyperx cloud flight as looking at the pictures the best I can is guess what the numbers are. Thank you

On 3/23/2020 at 3:54 PM, ColinLTT said:

A great starting place is to hop over to rtings.com and find your headset - Here's the profile for the V2 - https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-3-1/graph#499/3161

Used this to tune my Logitech G35. Yes I'm still using a 11 year old headset. It sounds good, not great, but good. Thanks for the link!

I like to play games and eat cookies.

I also build and sell gaming computers.

I bought a Arctis 7 2019 a few weeks ago and love it. The G935 was also in my consideration and now I'm curious how they sound with them getting praised so high but I don't regret my Arctis purchase at all thanks to the dual-channel mix they feature, the retractable mic and the aluminum frame instead of a plastic one. I agree the clamping-force was initially kinda hurting my ears but after a few weeks of wearing it's super comfy now.

One thing the review missed though, it comes with a full DTS X v2 Spatial Audio license that make a huge difference to how they can sound in games as far as positional audio goes.

To make use of that disable! DTS X v2 in Steelseries Engine and download a app called DTS Unbound from the Windows 10 Store. Normally a license for the app costs money but it will detect the Arctis 7 when they are set as the Default Audio Device and the app will unlock activating DTS X v2 on a Windows level which to me, made positional audio sound amazing. In CoD Warzone I suddenly could pinpoint directions even above and below me really accurate.

And the best thing, unlike the Steelseries Engine implementation, letting Windows handle it doesn't affect music!

Another negative though, since the Line-In and Line-Out connections on the base-dongle are recessed you basically can't fit normal 3.5mm cables in there :/

My fav G935 EQ (found somewhere on the web)

Screenshot_5.jpg

6 hours ago, Skyyblaze said:

I bought a Arctis 7 2019 a few weeks ago and love it. The G935 was also in my consideration and now I'm curious how they sound with them getting praised so high but I don't regret my Arctis purchase at all thanks to the dual-channel mix they feature, the retractable mic and the aluminum frame instead of a plastic one. I agree the clamping-force was initially kinda hurting my ears but after a few weeks of wearing it's super comfy now.

One thing the review missed though, it comes with a full DTS X v2 Spatial Audio license that make a huge difference to how they can sound in games as far as positional audio goes.

To make use of that disable! DTS X v2 in Steelseries Engine and download a app called DTS Unbound from the Windows 10 Store. Normally a license for the app costs money but it will detect the Arctis 7 when they are set as the Default Audio Device and the app will unlock activating DTS X v2 on a Windows level which to me, made positional audio sound amazing. In CoD Warzone I suddenly could pinpoint directions even above and below me really accurate.

And the best thing, unlike the Steelseries Engine implementation, letting Windows handle it doesn't affect music!

Another negative though, since the Line-In and Line-Out connections on the base-dongle are recessed you basically can't fit normal 3.5mm cables in there :/

Thank you soooo much! I just tried this and it does sound amazing. 

I would generally agree with the G935s based on the price. That is why I got my Astro A50s after scouring for deals and ended up getting them for about half the price. I still love them though!

I did try those settings for the A50s, but it sounded a bit muffled. I would rather use the Astro EQ that came with it over that. I also punched in the EQ settings from dinocoblue's posting and that sounds a lot nicer

26 minutes ago, AlexGS said:

Thank you soooo much! I just tried this and it does sound amazing. 

No problem! :) Just be aware that if you use another input source as default inbetween, like speakers, you have to re-run DTS Unbound once every boot to verify the license or the Arctis will default to Windows Sonic.