Headphones with good sound stage under $200?

protektive

I'm trying to find the best headphones under 200 for my needs. I mainly listen to Indie Rock (lots of acoustics and vocals) and trance (a lot of vocals). I want headphones with good soundstage at least, I don't really care for bass. The headphones can be IEM/closed or open. I'd prefer very comfortable headphones though.

hd558's or 598's are most likely just what youre looking for they have large soundstage, are great with acoustics, dont really have bass (atleast hd598's dunno about 558's) and are really comfortable. 

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

I'm trying to find the best headphones under 200 for my needs. I mainly listen to Indie Rock (lots of acoustics and vocals) and trance (a lot of vocals). I want headphones with good soundstage at least, I don't really care for bass. The headphones can be IEM/closed or open. I'd prefer very comfortable headphones though.

DT880 or DT990. 

What's the difference between the 558's and the 598's other than the color.

That's it?? idk, if it's just that then i would go for the 558 but i like the color in the 598's. They're sexy like noctua fans lol.

That's it?? idk, if it's just that then i would go for the 558 but i like the color in the 598's. They're sexy like noctua fans lol.

The sound is slightly different.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

If you've owned or wore both of them. Which is one is more comfortable? or is there no difference?

If you've owned or wore both of them. Which is one is more comfortable? or is there no difference?

Comfort wise, they are pretty much the same.   Both have velour ear pads, and are exactly the same size and shape.

The measurements where with in margin of error from each other. 

The measurements where with in margin of error from each other. 

So pretty much the same sound, and is just if you like the noctua look or not. :P

So pretty much the same sound, and is just if you like the noctua look or not. :P

With disregard to price, I agree. 

But I'm not one to buy a headphone off looks, (Slides 1540's back into box, nothing to see there) 

@protektive

I would also mention that the HD 518 have exactly the same speakers that the 558 and 598 have, the fabric on the earpads is not as nice as velour, but is not sandpaper either, the sound is a bit more bass heavy because they have a more closed grid but overall I think they sound good. 

With disregard to price, I agree. 
But I'm not one to buy a headphone off looks, (Slides 1540's back into box, nothing to see there) 

Of course, looks is not why I got my MDR-1R.

@protektive

I would also mention that the HD 518 have exactly the same speakers that the 558 and 598 have, the fabric on the earpads is not as nice as velour, but is not sandpaper either, the sound is a bit more bass heavy because they have a more closed grid but overall I think they sound good. 

I feel like tossing out my opinion that I liked the HD518's more then the rest of the 500 series....

I feel like tossing out my opinion that I liked the HD518's more then the rest of the 500 series....

You dirty bass head you.

You dirty bass head you.

Makes me wish I didn't sell them Studios...

hd558's or 598's are most likely just what youre looking for they have large soundstage, are great with acoustics, dont really have bass (atleast hd598's dunno about 558's) and are really comfortable. 

I am using the 598s right now to listen to some music. The are very awesome for the price. I am allso having HD 800.

The 800s are the ultimate Headphone for me as an (hobby) audio engenier but the are not ceap (1k$). He 598s are the perfect mix betwen $ and sound

Those should be perfect for you (as they are for my listening to Metal) They have a very open stage and are VERY transparent. The only negative point about them is the bass wich is a little bit to weak. But this is perfect for us "guitar music guys". For Rap/House guys I realy would not suggest them. But go buy them!