Windows Tv

Electron3412

I just had a great idea installing windows on to the storage device on a smart TV. Then of course try to game on it. 

1 minute ago, Electron3412 said:

I just had a great idea installing windows on to the storage device on a smart TV. Then of course try to game on it. 

I would have to guess those devices in a smart TV probably work on something like an ARM CPU. So it's probably more viable to install Android on it and run Steam Link on it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

no what i mean is installing windows on the ssd in the tv i have opened a smart tv and they it has a ssd in it 

You could just tape an Intel NUC behind a TV.... Or a laptop really.

The hardware in smart TVs simply isn't made to run Windows. Like minibois said, you'd have more luck with Android... But even there, I don't expect the experience to be that good.

What you're proposing is akin to installing Windows on a Playstation just because it has a hard drive... yeah no... The rest of the hardware needs to be compatible too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

10 hours ago, Electron3412 said:

no what i mean is installing windows on the ssd in the tv i have opened a smart tv and they it has a ssd in it 

You might want to just get a new SSD first, because if you destroy the one in the TV, it's going to be unusable.

21 hours ago, minibois said:

I would have to guess those devices in a smart TV probably work on something like an ARM CPU. So it's probably more viable to install Android on it and run Steam Link on it.

21 hours ago, TetraSky said:

You could just tape an Intel NUC behind a TV.... Or a laptop really.

The hardware in smart TVs simply isn't made to run Windows. Like minibois said, you'd have more luck with Android... But even there, I don't expect the experience to be that good.

What you're proposing is akin to installing Windows on a Playstation just because it has a hard drive... yeah no... The rest of the hardware needs to be compatible too.

Some TVs run a custom Version of android which runs fine

Please excuse my spelling

19 minutes ago, DarthEoin said:

Some TVs run a custom Version of android which runs fine

Not sure what you're arguing here. Neither minibois nor I said it couldn't run Android.

Ability to run Android =/= Ability to run Windows.

Also, the custom versions of Android found in these TVs have all the drivers and firmwares required for the TV's hardware built-in.

If OP were to use any other version of Android and try to install it on the TV, it wouldn't work.(or at least, not be 100% operational, many features will be disabled)

But the point isn't that. We've basically said they'd have more luck with Android...

Which is true, because like you've also mentioned, some TVs run a custom version of Android already... But there's no chance at all for Windows to run on those TVs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I know you could do that. But i think it would be cooler to put windows on the tv

Tv's Use the ARM instruction set, the same that your phone uses. Windows is built on x86-64, The CPU on the TV would have no idea how to even read the OS. and that is not the only problem. A smart TV is  highly integrated system, even if you managed to get the CPU on the smart TV to understand the os, there are no drivers to handle stuff dike display output, audio, and networking. These are propitiatory drivers that are designed to work with ONLY the tv's OS and they won't work for windows. And, lastly, there is likely security measures that basically prevent the TV from accepting any os besides whatever was installed by the manufacturer. Fun fact, the last two reasons are also why you can't install windows on an XBOX. 

There is a version  of windows in development that runs on ARM CPUS. but it is underdeveloped and unusable for gaming. And to use it on the tv, you'll have to at very least code a new machine layer from scratch, and reverse engineer all the drivers. It'll just be easier by just using a external PC and plug it into that. 

This video is for the XBOX, but a lot of what he talks about (not all, but most) would also apply to the TV.

4 hours ago, Electron3412 said:

I know you could do that. But i think it would be cooler to put windows on the tv

The question isn't whether its cool or not. Its about is it possible or not. And that would be no. You would need to have Windows Mobile or Windows RT. Those are only Windows systems you can install on ARM. Current.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

26 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

The question isn't whether its cool or not. Its about is it possible or not. And that would be no. You would need to have Windows Mobile or Windows RT. Those are only Windows systems you can install on ARM. Current.

Regular Windows 10 has supported ARM since 1709, there are a bunch of notebooks and other devices being released that run it. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

6 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Regular Windows 10 has supported ARM since 1709, there are a bunch of notebooks and other devices being released that run it. 

Well then, no issues then. Not.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Well then, no issues then. Not.

I know, just figured I'd throw it out there.

It would be technically possible I guess if someone was willing to write drivers like they do with the W10 Raspberry Pi builds.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20