Is Zelda: Breath of the Wild worth buying?

GamerBlake

Hey everyone!

So as everyone knows the coronavirus has resulted in quarantines and “social distancing” so I’ve decided to buy a new game for my Switch (to play while under quarantine/isolation) and I’m wondering if Zelda: BOTW is worth the $50 Amazon is asking? Nintendo is asking $60 for a digital copy but that doesn’t make sense to me so I’d rather pay $10 less with the additional benefit of getting a physical copy I can resell in the future.

If anyone has played this game can you please share your thoughts? Would you buy it again knowing what you know now?

I know everyone likes different things so I’m just asking for some input on other people’s experience with the game. If a lot of people say they like it then I definitely want to give it a shot but I won’t blame anyone if I don’t like it.

Thanks!

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

Yes, it's a great game. I would buy it again if whatever situation brought me to it.

If you're looking for more open world rpg options, witcher 3 just got ported to switch.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Yes, it's a great game. I would buy it again if whatever situation brought me to it.

If you're looking for more open world rpg options, witcher 3 just got ported to switch.

I actually already have Witcher 3 on Switch and PC. 😆 

But here are the Switch games I have: Witcher 3, Pokémon Shield, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Super Smash Bro’s Ultimate, 

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

BOTW is an amazing game if you're into massive open worlds that encourage fucking about and exploring. The story isn't super amazing but that was never the point of this game, and they made the (wise) choice to chop the story up to avoid getting in the way of player freedom. The final boss is visually impressive, but if you collect all the abilities and higher level gear then you can utterly destroy it in 30 seconds or less by abusing the game's systems, so it's not impressive challenge wise. Those are the two main drawbacks, mostly cons inherent to the design of the game. Speaking of that player freedom I mentioned, if you do want a challenge, you can go 1v1 Calamity Ganon in your underpants with a soup ladle after completing the beginner shrines (4 of them, in a big open area that doubles as the tutorial). The game won't stop you. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Obviously everyone is gonna have their own preferences (despite all the praise Im about to lay down, Wind Waker is still my favorite!) but just to set the record straight, BotW is an absolute masterpiece of a videogame. The visuals and how they connect to the art style as a whole are absolutely fantastic. The music and especially sound design are literally as good as it gets. Nintendo's sound design game is often way ahead of any other company and and BotW is a great example of this. The best part of the game is the open world aspect and freedom of gameplay. They spent years perfecting everything they could and delayed the game several times to make sure they achieve their expected level of quality. BotW firmly belongs on any "must play" list for the Switch.

My only main complaint is that there are times when you will get under 30 FPS. It's not a super annoying problem for the most part, but it can break the immersion at times. I actually think the best way to play it is to emulate it on the Cemu emulator if you have a strong enough computer. It's nice to play on the switch for convenience and authenticity, but honestly nothing beats a smooth 144 FPS at 1440p or higher with custom graphics packs to enhance the colors of the game if you wish. There's a channel called BsoD_Gaming that has comprehensive setup guides for all major releases of the emulator. Definitely need a strong computer for the full experience though.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

37 minutes ago, Railgun said:

Obviously everyone is gonna have their own preferences (despite all the praise Im about to lay down, Wind Waker is still my favorite!) but just to set the record straight, BotW is an absolute masterpiece of a videogame. The visuals and how they connect to the art style as a whole are absolutely fantastic. The music and especially sound design are literally as good as it gets. Nintendo's sound design game is often way ahead of any other company and and BotW is a great example of this. The best part of the game is the open world aspect and freedom of gameplay. They spent years perfecting everything they could and delayed the game several times to make sure they achieve their expected level of quality. BotW firmly belongs on any "must play" list for the Switch.

My only main complaint is that there are times when you will get under 30 FPS. It's not a super annoying problem for the most part, but it can break the immersion at times. I actually think the best way to play it is to emulate it on the Cemu emulator if you have a strong enough computer. It's nice to play on the switch for convenience and authenticity, but honestly nothing beats a smooth 144 FPS at 1440p or higher with custom graphics packs to enhance the colors of the game if you wish. There's a channel called BsoD_Gaming that has comprehensive setup guides for all major releases of the emulator. Definitely need a strong computer for the full experience though.

Cool! I’ll check it out then. I’m not too familiar with emulators but I know my computer is powerful enough to run basically anything. It’s got a 2080 Ti , 8700K, Samsung NVMe SSD and 32GB of 3200mhz DDR4 ram. 😆 Full specs are in my signature.

1 minute ago, GamerBlake said:

Cool! I’ll check it out then. I’m not too familiar with emulators but I know my computer is powerful enough to run basically anything. It’s got a 2080 Ti , 8700K, Samsung NVMe SSD and 32GB of 3200mhz DDR4 ram. 😆 Full specs are in my signature.

Yeah your computer is better than mine so you should be good to go. Have fun with your quarantine! I know I'm enjoying mine lol. Plenty of time to work on projects :)

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

• 3 weeks later...

Its a pretty fun game, I got through a lot and started shrine farming, but after a while, the game kinda dropped off for me.

I already beat the bosses and got most shrines, so by that time I've already explored basically everything.

Aside from that, it's still an awesome game and totally worth getting, I completely recommend it.

I'm CatPat, and yes, the t's do vary.

1 minute ago, CatPat said:

Its a pretty fun game, I got through a lot and started shrine farming, but after a while, the game kinda dropped off for me.

I already beat the bosses and got most shrines, so by that time I've already explored basically everything.

Aside from that, it's still an awesome game and totally worth getting, I completely recommend it.

I actually already got it 😆. So far I’ve got my paraglider and done like 7 shrines.

HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAA

only 7?

1 hour ago, CatPat said:

HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAA

only 7?

Yeah 😆 I’ve only got like 2 hours of play time into it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 8:56 AM, GamerBlake said:

Yeah 😆 I’ve only got like 2 hours of play time into it.

That will quickly turn into 200. I just finished my quarantine task of getting all 900 korok seeds. Gold poop trophy is my reward. 

18 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

That will quickly turn into 200. I just finished my quarantine task of getting all 900 korok seeds. Gold poop trophy is my reward. 

It’s actually not as good as I was expecting based on everyone’s reaction to it following release.

I feel like there’s no real sense of direction so I have trouble knowing what to do next.

For now I’m just looking for shrines and running to them, completing them, and looking for the next. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

4 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

It’s actually not as good as I was expecting based on everyone’s reaction to it following release.

I feel like there’s no real sense of direction so I have trouble knowing what to do next.

For now I’m just looking for shrines and running to them, completing them, and looking for the next. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I hate to say it, but thats basically it. It's all about exploration and uncovering the map. Some like that, others need a more definitive goal. 

On 4/22/2020 at 3:07 PM, Blue4130 said:

I just finished my quarantine task of getting all 900 korok seeds.

good job bro

Breath of the Wild is fun.  But in a world where Witcher 3 exists, there is no way this game is a 97, as Metacritic scores it.  The world is big but mostly empty.  Quests aren't all that plentiful and are highly repetitive.  The story is just ok.  Is it worth buying? Absolutely.  Is it going to blow your mind? Nope.

On 4/22/2020 at 10:15 PM, Blue4130 said:

I hate to say it, but thats basically it. It's all about exploration and uncovering the map. Some like that, others need a more definitive goal. 

Yep, it is not a bad game if you like doing such, but in my opinion, it just felt lacking for a Zelda game.  Especially the dungeons, those felt so shallow compare to previous Zelda games.  The physic with the abilities I did find interesting and some of the shrine puzzles where pretty good.  :I  Just the main dungeons where way to short to me.  I kinda wish the devs expanded on some of the dungeon concepts as I found some very interesting, just short.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU