Not as fast as it used to be: Pixel 5/5a may be using mid-range processors

williamcll

Recent information taken from the google camera apps where codenames for Qualcomm's mid-range phone processors are being referred to Google's upcoming smartphones.

According to a teardown of the Google Camera app on a pre-release version of the Pixel 4a obtained by 9to5Google, next year's Pixel phones may not be true-blue flagships, eschewing the Snapdragon 865 in favor of a Snapdragon 765G, the top-end of Qualcomm's midrange lineup. The teardown revealed two files called "photo_pixel_2020_midrange_config" and "photo_pixel_2020_config." These are seemingly references to the Pixel 4a and Pixel 5 series, since Google's naming convention for the Pixel 3a and Pixel 4 was previously "photo_pixel_2019_midrange_config" and "photo_pixel_2019_config." The device codenames corresponding to the "photo_pixel_2020_config" — by all accounts, Google's nomenclature for the 2020 'flagships' — are Bramble and Redfin, as per 9to5Google's breakdown. These codenames are also backed up by an investigation by @Cstark_27 on Twitter.

Where things get really interesting, though, is the fact that we've seen these codenames before. Back in January, the same codenames were discovered in the AOSP source code, with both Redfin and Bramble sporting a Snapdragon 765G. At the time, it wasn't clear if Google was just planning on releasing more midrange phones like the Pixel 4a in 2020 or if these were simply codenames for internal prototypes. The reality, according to this latest report, is perhaps far stranger, and it looks like the company may entirely forego flagship offerings this year, with both the Pixel 5 and the Pixel 5 XL launching as midrange phones. Both phones will support 5G, however, thanks to the integrated 5G modem in the Snapdragon 765G. If this is, indeed, true, it would undoubtedly be a significant departure from the company's direction so far. At the same time, since the biggest draw of the Pixel line is Google's software, it's certainly possible for the company to pull off many of the same camera tricks that it's achieved on the Pixel series with a less expensive but still very capable processor. It was, after all, able to do just that with the Pixel 3a. How much these phones would, then, cost and what the change would mean for the future of any Pixel 5a remains to be seen.

Source: https://9to5google.com/2020/03/13/pixel-5-not-flagship-specs-google-camera-app/

Thoughts: Unless they also bring the price of the pixel down there really isn't much reason to get a stock phone unless you need to do development work, at the same time I also don't expect most pixel users to push their phone processing to the max either.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

Thoughts: Unless they also bring the price of the pixel down there really isn't much reason to get a stock phone unless you need to do development work, at the same time I also don't expect most pixel users to push their phone processing to the max either.

I game a lot on my pixel and do appreciate the processing power. I really wish they went with the rumored Pixel 4a design and then spec it up. Bring back the jack, the fingerprint sensor, and the hole punch design looks great. If I could have that plus some 16:9 I would buy instantly.

I suspect that this may be due to the significant price hike on the Snapdragon 865, the only real question I'd have is if Google follows suite with a price hike of their own despite mid-range specifications.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

On 3/15/2020 at 7:16 PM, Inkz said:

I game a lot on my pixel and do appreciate the processing power. I really wish they went with the rumored Pixel 4a design and then spec it up. Bring back the jack, the fingerprint sensor, and the hole punch design looks great. If I could have that plus some 16:9 I would buy instantly.

Soooo, a 6P mk2? Loved my 6P back in the day. :D 

I miss the days of cheaper google phones, I was hyped for the pixel til I saw the price tag.

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

urgh, pixel phone

Probably the one line of devices i'll never buy and never ever advice to anyone, not even my worst enemies

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

urgh, pixel phone

Probably the one line of devices i'll never buy and never ever advice to anyone, not even my worst enemies

Care to expand on that thought a bit?

I wholeheartedly welcome more mid-range phones. No fucking way I'm going to pay 1000€ for a fricking phone.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, Founders said:

Care to expand on that thought a bit?

questionable hardware quality on all 4 pixel lines released so far

• microphone issues on the first
  • screen quality and awful image retention on the second
  • battery issues and memory management issues on the third and fourth

All pixel have be prone to slow down and lag over time. One might say it happens to every phone "nothing that a factory reset can't fix", but pixels seemed to be affected more frequently and harder

Expectation of it being the most "optimised" android device because google made it, but reality: not one has prove to be more fluid than any of the other devices available for way cheaper 

Since we are talking about price: way overpriced compared to the rest of the market

And finally, thought this is just me, hard focus on the one thing in a phone i don't give 2 flying Fs about: camera. F that.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

27 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

The display issue was only on the P2XL. Also, a lot of people want a good camera. Just because you don't, that doesn't mean nobody wants one.

And that's why when i get asked for advice, i never mention the camera.

1 minute ago, Kaloob said:

If the person you are recommending a phone to wants a good camera, you should probably point them in the direction of a good camreaphone like the pixel line.

no.

i tell them to just get an iPhone even if it's been ages since i  last used one. At least with that one they won't come back to me complaining about the weird issues they're having with their phone.

55 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

questionable hardware quality on all 4 pixel lines released so far

• microphone issues on the first
  • screen quality and awful image retention on the second
  • battery issues and memory management issues on the third and fourth

All pixel have be prone to slow down and lag over time. One might say it happens to every phone "nothing that a factory reset can't fix", but pixels seemed to be affected more frequently and harder

Expectation of it being the most "optimised" android device because google made it, but reality: not one has prove to be more fluid than any of the other devices available for way cheaper 

Since we are talking about price: way overpriced compared to the rest of the market

And finally, thought this is just me, hard focus on the one thing in a phone i don't give 2 flying Fs about: camera. F that.

I realize Google is a huge company with seemingly endless resources to play with but I think it's important to remember they've been producing their own phones less than 4 years at this point. While Pixel's haven't been perfect, no phone is really, they've been doing some interesting things with their lineup. I'd argue that the 3a was probably the best mid range phone of 2019. I certainly think they lost their way quite a bit with the Pixel 4, price and features were completely off the mark. We pretty much know what the 4a will offer at this point but until it gets in more hands and Google reveals pricing we won't know if that's a decent successor to the 3a.   

23 minutes ago, Founders said:

I realize Google is a huge company with seemingly endless resources to play with but I think it's important to remember they've been producing their own phones less than 4 years at this point. While Pixel's haven't been perfect, no phone is really, they've been doing some interesting things with their lineup. I'd argue that the 3a was probably the best mid range phone of 2019. I certainly think they lost their way quite a bit with the Pixel 4, price and features were completely off the mark. We pretty much know what the 4a will offer at this point but until it gets in more hands and Google reveals pricing we won't know if that's a decent successor to the 3a.   

4 years? make it 10, Nexus was a thing, they had their issues too, but at least back then, up till the Nexus 6, the price reflected what you'd get.

best midrage of 2019 i'd give that to the poco F1

Ofc they are, I was planning to upgrade my 3 XL to a 5 XL when it released. Google have done this purely to give me the middle finger.

In case anybody doesn't realise, that's intended as a joke. The fact I feel the need to clarify that saddens me deeply.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 3/16/2020 at 4:49 PM, PLME888 said:

Soooo, a 6P mk2? Loved my 6P back in the day. :D 

I used to have the 6P, if I could l could get that thing with updated specs I would probably instantly buy it.