an odd trend (am i wrong) ?

maybe its always been like this

after searching for an affordable mirrorless APS camera i noticed that they use the same sensors as the higher end models  even DLSR

the only difference are that the lower end models are gimped or have more features for an insane amount of money  (ie less features contrast AF vs phase etc)

here is an example

the Sony Nex 3N retails for $300 with kit lens  its bigger brother the 5N retails for about $700 with kit lens

now that a 2x+ increase  in price

you would expect a huge difference here right .....

lets take a look

the internals are pretty much identical

same APS sensor

and everything else is software gimped

another example would be the samsung cameras

the Nx1000 NX1100 NX2000 are almost 100% identical aside from the software being gimped

this reminds me  alot of the panasonic GF1 which had a limitation of 720p and a firmware hacked allowed it to take 1080p video a 20Mbps 

correct me if im wrong here

the only biggest change i found from cheap and expensive camera with the same sensor is better Auto focus and that pretty much it everything else is gimped

they increase the price a lot by just adding features that seem cheap to add like a tilt for the lcd 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

So flashing your camera with firmware should be a very possible thing then? Like with phones, and everything else that is software gimped?

I mean, could I just take a Sony Nex 3N and flash it with the firmware of the 5N and have a 5N?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

There's other differences. I think the 5n might be a better metal, and it has a tiltable LCD screen. I think the screen is also of better quality and higher resolution.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

So flashing your camera with firmware should be a very possible thing then? Like with phones, and everything else that is software gimped?

I mean, could I just take a Sony Nex 3N and flash it with the firmware of the 5N and have a 5N?

depends on weather they have locked it 

it has been done on many other cameras from different companies

there is a community that is trying to do this on sony nex cameras

http://www.nex-hack.info/

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

There's other differences. I think the 5n might be a better metal, and it has a tiltable LCD screen. I think the screen is also of better quality and higher resolution.

the 3N has tilt too

yeah but still does that justify a 2x increase in price

this is what im talking about

small things like that should have a 100$+ increase not a 400$+

the 3N has tilt too

yeah but still does that justify a 2x increase in price

this is what im talking about

small things like that should have a 100$+ increase not a 400$+

Ok, so there's WiFi/NFC, the 5 has a touch screen, much higher resolution, it's lighter, has a smaller body. Of course there's all of the firmware differences, but as you said that's just firmware.

I think that's quite a difference in kit, and makes a pretty good reason for it costing more.

One interesting thing of note is the 3 has a built in flash, the 5 doesn't. Which I think is a huge selling point alone.

Retail pricing has the 5n at $250 more than the 3n. You can find deals, of course, but that's what Sony has priced them at. Not $400.

What interests me is the 5N and 6 are the same price.

Just get a DSLR. 

I got rid of my DSLR. Too bulky for my use.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I got rid of my DSLR. Too bulky for my use.

Fair enough.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Ok, so there's WiFi/NFC, the 5 has a touch screen, much higher resolution, it's lighter, has a smaller body. Of course there's all of the firmware differences, but as you said that's just firmware.

I think that's quite a difference in kit, and makes a pretty good reason for it costing more.

One interesting thing of note is the 3 has a built in flash, the 5 doesn't. Which I think is a huge selling point alone.

Retail pricing has the 5n at $250 more than the 3n. You can find deals, of course, but that's what Sony has priced them at. Not $400.

What interests me is the 5N and 6 are the same price.

where did u find it at 250 more ? its 700 on amazon

just found out the nex6 costs 560 on amazon

i think something is wrong over there

where did u find it at 250 more ? its 700 on amazon

just found out the nex6 costs 560 on amazon

i think something is wrong over there

Straight from the Sony Store...so I'd say it's pretty accurate :)

Amazon isn't a good judge of msrp pricing.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

You'll find a lot of similar hardware across different brands as well. Nikon and Sony kind of have this partnership going on, Nikon will make some of Sony's lenses and Sony will make some Nikon sensors etc.

Its kind of like mobile phones, I think Samsung and LG make some of the Retina displays for Apple, it's weird as they are competitors but it seems to work out.

All cameras have a processor that is rarely used to its full potential, basically for longevity, so it will be limited by firmware. The differences in those processors can be the limiting factor even though the sensors are the same.

Better processors can also make for better image processing, like better noise control. A couple of years ago I had a Canon 7d and my friend had a T2i, the same sensors, but were worlds apart in noise control especially in video.