LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

25 minutes ago, monster1612 said:

the reason that you see fold-anon enabled is that it's enabled by default when running F@H after a certain timeframe (at least on Linux). there's a 5 minute grace period where it's paused during setup so you can enter your folding name and passkey (and team!), but it'll fold anonymously after that time's elapsed if you haven't. thankfully (or maybe not, depending on how badly you want attribution), disabling the setting will prevent it from downloading any WUs if you don't have your folding name (and maybe other stuff?) configured. :)

So once I've entered my name and team that fold-anon is voided automatically or I need to remove it?

Just now, LFreeman said:

Nope

Interesting...

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, jctappel67 said:

🤷‍♂️

So now I just pay for spot instances with AWS. 

Just threw my Macbook Pro 15,s GPU into it..

Adds about 120k PPD. every little bit helps

I don't think the cpu (i7-8850H) would keep up with temps, so i might just not fold on the cpu

But i might try it anyway, to see where it stabilizes.

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Once you factor in TCO they really aren't. And before you have a go at me and my army of team green I had a vega 64 before these 

What's TCO? Google says it's an orthopedist in Minnesota lol. At least in benchmarks my Vega56 runs scores parallel to 1080ti's but cost a lot less in the used market than a 1080ti.

14 minutes ago, Full_Metal_Jacob said:

Whats the largest amount of credits you guys have received from a WU?

My GPU is working on a 98K one right now.

the highest I've gotten was for 83,258, scanning through my logs.

1 minute ago, marknd59 said:

Project 14541 by any chance ?

Many different ones. Have tried removing GPU slot and re adding it many times.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

What's TCO? Google says it's an orthopedist in Minnesota lol. At least in benchmarks my Vega56 runs scores parallel to 1080ti's but cost a lot less in the used market than a 1080ti.

Total cost of ownership,

So cost to buy and cost of power over its lifetime. If you have AC the slight increase in AC power usage would also go towards TCO.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Aaannnd system 3 is online. Folding, that is. Just a measly Core2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz and "an excessive" 🙄 1GB of RAM, but every little bit helps, right? It doesn't have a GPU, at all! so it got a 24hr CPU WU instantly.

System 2 isn't much better, but just: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 with 16GB RAM, again no usably GPU (GeForce 210). System 1 is an AMD A8-3870 APU with 32GB RAM and you guessed it: no GPU of note (another GeForce 210).

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

So once I've entered my name and team that fold-anon is voided automatically or I need to remove it?

If it's not entered during that initial 5 minutes (drawing from my experience from when I set up F@H on my Linux dual-boot), it doesn't seem like it automatically removes that flag. I removed it just to be safe after entering my passkey and whatnot, but I think you could safely leave it there without any issues.

3 minutes ago, ConceptOW said:

So now I just pay for spot instances with AWS. 

What EC2 instance types are you using for that?

F@H    EOC

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

Total cost of ownership,

So cost to buy and cost of power over its lifetime. If you have AC the slight increase in AC power usage would also go towards TCO.

Ah, maybe. I'm pulling 170-190W folding with the GPU, what's a 1080ti pull when folding? In 3D use it's closer to 250-270W though, so there I could see a 1080/1080ti being more efficient. I do really like the very steady frame times which seem to be a benefit of having the memory stacked and directly next to the GPU die.

1 minute ago, LFreeman said:

Nope

What voltages and what memory does the card have? Most RX580 are stable at 1.1 to 1.05 volts at stock clocks with memory voltage depending on which memory it has. GPUZ should be able to get that information. Are you using Radeon settings to work with it? Try Overdriventool instead, it tends to be much more stable and actually apply settings properly more of the time. What's the fan curve? Is the VRM getting too hot? Is your power delivery good/clean?

3 minutes ago, monster1612 said:

If it's not entered during that initial 5 minutes (drawing from my experience from when I set up F@H on my Linux dual-boot), it doesn't seem like it automatically removes that flag. I removed it just to be safe after entering my passkey and whatnot, but I think you could safely leave it there without any issues.

Thanks. I need to set the flag to download the next WU at 98% completion anyway to try to keep it working consistently so I'll just take that out when I'm in there.

Just now, Bitter said:

Thanks. I need to set the flag to download the next WU at 98% completion anyway to try to keep it working consistently so I'll just take that out when I'm in there.

I've put mine down to 95% now due to the slow DLs

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

so i replaced om my gaming rig my ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Compound Paste with my Noctua NT-H2 3.5g, Pro-Grade Thermal Compound Paste incl. 3 Cleaning Wipes (3.5g) the CPU temps went down 10-15 F but now my power usage has gone up from 477 watts to 486 lol WTF...I know its the CPU is boosting more as its got more head room but really!!!!!!! im resting at 4067-4100MHz where before it was around 3850-3900MHz...now to shutdown my server for a few mins to replace its paste... as everything has the MX4 crap...

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I've put mine down to 95% now due to the slow DLs

I'll risk it at 98% since my machines aren't super fast.

Just now, monster1612 said:

You can indeed. My config.xml file has both my username and passkey as well as an instance of the aforementioned user-anon.

For Linux users: when you install the fahclient package and it requests the passkey and what not, just enter the defaults, but on the question whether it should start at boot times, answer no. Then, from a working instance of the fahclient, copy the file /etc/fahclient/config.xml over to the new machine and start the client with

/etc/init.d/FAHClient start

It should start w/o errors and begins folding under your name and passkey, and for team LTT of course ;)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

14 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

What EC2 instance types are you using for that?

g4dn.xlarge about 16 cents/hr. It gives about 900k ppd. Not a lot but, don't wanna drain my bank account too fast