We bought a $20 SSD…

1 hour ago, ArduinoBen said:

Anyone know what's the reason the drives slowed down over time during the benchmark?

Can I guarantee you I know the exact reason? No. But a couple good guesses are filling the Dram cache and/or heat from the excessive stress testing causing the drives to slowdown to preserve lifespan.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I watched this last night and enjoyed it.

Useful information.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fattydoves get an increase in sales lol.

The power of online video. ?

Some of the stuff in this video was pretty ridiculous. And I don't mean funny, I just mean ignorant. Like saying that DRAM-less SSD's perform perform worse than hard drives. That's just nonsense.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

13 hours ago, ArduinoBen said:

Anyone know what's the reason the drives slowed down over time during the benchmark?

In addition to the DRAM cache, the TLC (triple layer cell thingy) also affects it. A trick in the driver/controller is to use it as SLC (single layer cell thingy). With TLC you take 3x the time to store/read/erase etc. As it's got 3 bits per cell. A SLC can be quicker, as you only have to store/read/erase 1 cell at a time. So the controller reserves a set amount (like 10% or so) of the SSD chip as blank space (if you have not filled the drive). It then writes only 1 bit per 3 cell TLC thing... so saves 1/3 the time. When you use up the 10% cache, it then slows down because it either has to erase that 1 bit cache and try to refill it with 3 bits (and move all the single bits back!!!) or it starts using the normal 3 bit writes on the rest of the drive. It can get even worse if it's got to erase bits on old blocks, as an SDD needs to "erase" deleted files to blank out the SSD cells. But an old spinning HDD can just write over in one go, taking no extra time. You don't normally notice this slow down with an SSD on a PC, as it can erase the deleted blocks/files whenever you are not using it. But in benchmarking or on a 100% use server, it of cause runs out of time to erase the blocks, and never gets a lunch break or pee break to do stuff it needs to. ;)

6 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Some of the stuff in this video was pretty ridiculous. And I don't mean funny, I just mean ignorant. Like saying that DRAM-less SSD's perform perform worse than hard drives. That's just nonsense.

Proof? They do in certain workloads.

6 hours ago, Intergalacticbits said:

I watched this last night and enjoyed it.

Useful information.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fattydoves get an increase in sales lol.

The power of online video. ?

Fattydove is probably just a rebadged standard-ssd made in China, maybe it's equal to Zheino.

6 hours ago, TechyBen said:

I'm talking about the thing almost everyone uses an SSD for: a boot drive.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 3/13/2020 at 12:01 PM, TechyBen said:

Okay, but it’s not so cut and dry. LTT continues to perpetuate the myth that DRAM-less SSD aren’t suitable for OS workloads. They are more than capable and always have been. TechQuickie (LTT) claim that DRAM-less SSDs can “slow” and “stutter” under OS workloads is absolutely false. Their claim that DRAM-less SSDs can perform worse than hard disks under OS workloads is also false. OS workloads rely heavily on random performance. Even DRAM-less 2D “planar” TLC SSDs from years past handily outperform any hard disk. Hard disks still aren’t capable of above 1 MB/s for random performance. The cheapest SSD on the market will always provide instant random access at 30+ MB/s. This is more than adequate for OS workloads. 

On 3/13/2020 at 6:42 PM, JoostinOnline said:

I'm talking about the thing almost everyone uses an SSD for: a boot drive.

DRAM-less SSDs are fine for budget builds. The newer SN drives from WD use a DRAM-less design and give more expensive drives a run for their money. The HP EX900 (DRAM-less HMB design) is a solid drive that we’ve used for years at our utility company. 

On 3/12/2020 at 1:59 PM, GabenJr said:

SSD pricing has steadily been coming down, but they’re still too expensive for some – Except for this one. What could you possibly get for $20?

Buy a Fattydove Racing SSD:
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/eXqMO

Buy a Crucial MX500:
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/M8AnMBh
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/dsIvsK

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Finally, Linus is incorrect in his statement that the Fatty Dove SSD doesn’t use “single-level cell caching technology”. It absolutely does. Every SSD utilizing 3D TLC NAND relies on SLC caching, also known as pseudo SLC or pSLC. 3D TLC (especially older 32-layer NAND from Micron) is incredibly slow. The move from MLC to TLC forced manufacturers to develop a pSLC caching strategy. The controller treats the TLC NAND as SLC; that is it programs the TLC NAND as 1-bit per cell instead of 3. The result is multitudes faster access and throughput and significantly higher endurance. There are several different strategies that manufacturers take to control the caching strategy, including dynamic and static caches, compression, and deferring writes. 

It’s important to note that no user data passes through the DRAM cache. DRAM is simply used for logical block addressing. For OS workloads, DRAM is unnecessary because the small amount of SRAM included on the controller is more than sufficient for the LBA map, something LTT has failed to mention time after time. In addition, Anandtech and other outlets have consistently found that OS workloads NEVER exceed a queue depth of one (QD 1). DRAM-less SSDs can suffer performance wise in any anything above QD 1, and since OS operations don’t exceed this, you will experience no noticeable performance degradation. 

The name still cracks me up every time I see it. FATTYDOVE RACING XD

Offtopic: what PC case is this? @GabenJr, anyone?

spacer.png

So would this be good to download a steam game on so it can run a little faster?

15 hours ago, groovyo said:

Offtopic: what PC case is this? @GabenJr, anyone?

spacer.png

@groovyo

Looks like one of the Corsair Carbide SPEC cases.

Slightly offtopic: what desktop environment and theme is that Linux machine running? It looks really good.

1 hour ago, asurapl said:

Slightly offtopic: what desktop environment and theme is that Linux machine running? It looks really good.

Manjaro KDE Plasma but I'm not sure what colour scheme that is. Looks better than the default Breath2.

Would cooling help performance?
20$ or 35$ to void the guarantee is really no issue...

Or is temperature no issue here?

So where can I get me a Fattydove to shove into some old Lenovo Laptops? Amazon says out of stock on these cheap-o's. I like how when they cracked it open it was only really half there; sort of like the rest of the marketing mystery. Linus should slap some single board computer passive cooling options on that thing and see if it performs better.

what linux distro your using in this episode?

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2020 at 7:59 PM, GabenJr said:

SSD pricing has steadily been coming down, but they’re still too expensive for some – Except for this one. What could you possibly get for $20?

Buy a Fattydove Racing SSD:
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/eXqMO

Buy a Crucial MX500:
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/M8AnMBh
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/dsIvsK

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

It isn'y avaiable anymore :-(

• 3 months later...

@GabenJr would you be able to post the write/read and file copy scripts used in the video?

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

• 2 years later...

Yo guys a few weeks ago I bought an SSD, by a company called Biwintech. I am not sure if it has DRAM or not. It is called the Biwintech SX500. Please tell me if you can find out 🙂