Beyerdynamic DT-990 / 880 /770

madman1876
Go to solution Solved by EmoRarity,

i know but the 990's are calling out to me and wont stop.

Then go for it. 

It is completely personal preference. Some are bassier some with more treble etc.. Watch some reviews and see which you like the sound of best.

hello

None. They're different, but "best" is a matter of preference.

Since its only 3 here, do you mind listing the advantages each has 

Loves PC Games :D

Since its only 3 here, do you mind listing the advantages each has

The frequency response of the 770 and 990 is mostly similar. However, since the 770 is closed and the 990 is open, the bass is punchier in the 770. There's no way to describe what an open headphone sounds like other than "airy"

The 880 is semiopen. It has a flatter frequency response, and arguably the advantages of both open and closed headphones, but you'll lose some of the "fun" from the others.

The frequency response of the 770 and 990 is mostly similar. However, since the 770 is closed and the 990 is open, the bass is punchier in the 770. There's no way to describe what an open headphone sounds like other than "airy"

The 880 is semiopen. It has a flatter frequency response, and arguably the advantages of both open and closed headphones, but you'll lose some of the "fun" from the others.

For a noob like me this doesn't really make it any easier to decide.

For a noob like me this doesn't really make it any easier to decide.

What will you be using them for mostly (gaming, music, movies)?

What kind of environment will you be listening in (quiet, loud siblings, etc)?

What previous headphones/sets did you really like and what did you like about them?

1. What will you be using them for mostly (gaming, music, movies)?

2. What kind of environment will you be listening in (quiet, loud siblings, etc)?

3. What previous headphones/sets did you really like and what did you like about them?

1. All three with emphasis on gaming and music

2. It's a relatively quite place

3. some $5 - $10 useless headset

is there a difference in comfort with the 3 headphones?

1. All three with emphasis on gaming and music

2. It's a relatively quite place

3. some $5 - $10 useless headset

is there a difference in comfort with the 3 headphones?

My experience with the DT-880's so far:

1. I play competitive CS:GO and they're excellent for gaming. I also listen to tons of music and it sounds fantastic, just not as bass heavy if you're looking for that.

2. The 880's are semi-open and you can somewhat hear what's going on if people are close to you.

3. You'll probably enjoy the experience no matter what. I come from gaming headsets and these are a great new experience.

4. They are super comfortable, i'm able to game non-stop without my ears becoming really hot and my head hurting.

CPU: Intel i5 4670k @ 4.4Ghz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black | GPU: Asus Strix 1080 Ti | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | PSU: Seasonic 80+ Platinum 1000W | Display: ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q Cooling: Corsair H100i GT | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Red | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Audio: Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium with O2 DAC/AMP

1. I play competitive CS:GO and they're excellent for gaming. I also listen to tons of music and it sounds fantastic, just not as bass heavy if you're looking for that.

2. The 880's are semi-open and you can somewhat hear what's going on if people are close to you.

3. You'll probably enjoy the experience no matter what. I come from gaming headsets and these are a great new experience.

4. They are super comfortable, i'm able to game non-stop without my ears becoming really hot and my head hurting.

What amp do you use and could an fiio e10 help the 880's in the bass department?

What amp do you use and could an fiio e10 help the 880's in the bass department?

My soundcard powers them fine so I won't need to invest in an amp. The E10 is perfect for it though.

It won't help the bass, but you can use EQ's to adjust it a bit.

CPU: Intel i5 4670k @ 4.4Ghz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black | GPU: Asus Strix 1080 Ti | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | PSU: Seasonic 80+ Platinum 1000W | Display: ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q Cooling: Corsair H100i GT | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Red | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Audio: Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium with O2 DAC/AMP

My soundcard powers them fine so I won't need to invest in an amp. The E10 is perfect for it though.

It won't help the bass, but you can use EQ's to adjust it a bit.

are you using onboard?

are you using onboard?

Nope, I have a USB soundcard from my old gaming headset which powers my dt880s just fine.

How much more does the dt990 leak sound than the 880's?

How much sound does the dt 880 leak and how is the isolation?

How much more does the dt990 leak sound than the 880's?

How much sound does the dt 880 leak and how is the isolation?

Unless you are a fan of blistering volumes, don't worry about it. As for isolation, outside noise will still be there, but muffled to a degree. 

Unless you are a fan of blistering volumes, don't worry about it. As for isolation, outside noise will still be there, but muffled to a degree. 

What about monitoring an acoustic guitar in real-time would it bee too much of a bother?

What about monitoring an acoustic guitar in real-time would it bee too much of a bother?

Well technically the DT880 would work just fine for that. 

But technically a headphone like the 7506, DT770M or HD380 are all built for that purpose.

Well technically the DT880 would work just fine for that. 

But technically a headphone like the 7506, DT770M or HD380 are all built for that purpose.

I had a feeling i would get a response like that but am really liking the  dt 990. " I smell compromise in the air. " 

I had a feeling i would get a response like that but am really liking the  dt 990. " I smell compromise in the air. " 

Honestly, just go for it. And if it doesn't work out, just get 7506's upon a later date. 

Honestly, just go for it. And if it doesn't work out, just get 7506's upon a later date. 

Thats kinda my idea, am gonna try em out and if the leakage is a bother while recording then am pretty sure duct tape can do the job.   xD  

Thats kinda my idea, am gonna try em out and if the leakage is a bother while recording then am pretty sure duct tape can do the job.   xD  

Or HD380, which would do just fine, but would suck for games as its closed.