Why is my download so fast?

aCatchyUserName

So, I'm building my first desktop, and here is what it is.

Gigabyte X299 Designare EX

I7-7800x

16GB Ripjaw V

7x Nvme 512gb (software raid0)

My ISP is charter @ supposedly 100Mb/s

So, after I deleted my old raid0 to add another drive to my array, I set it up, and I'm getting around 11GB/s read, and 3.5GB/s write. I went to re-download Forza Horizon 4, which was deleted because it was on the old array, and my download speed was, seemingly, impossibly fast. I didn't time it, but it was under 10 minutes to download 75GB, and it was reporting a 1.2 Gb/s speed. What's going on here??? I mean I'm not complaining, but I am confused.

Screenshot_20200306-070632.jpg

Either your ISP has been hitting the peace pipe a little to hard, OR something went funky with what plan you are on. Check your bill, and see if you got switched to something different

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

1 minute ago, GrockleTD said:

Either your ISP has been hitting the peace pipe a little to hard, OR something went funky with what plan you are on. Check your bill, and see if you got switched to something different

Highly unlikely. 1.2Gb/s - should they use 10Gbit already, or even faster?

I think it's a simple reason to it. @aCatchyUserName When did you download the game the last time, and was it on the very machine?

That confuses me less than the theoretical limits of my WiFi card. 

Screenshot_20200306-105353.jpg

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

Well, for one his modem could simply be unable to do 10Gb. But what I was meaning was that for my experience, I pay for 70Mbpsl but usually get 100.

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

I think it's a simple reason to it. @aCatchyUserName When did you download the game the last time, and was it on the very machine?

Yes, but I specifically downloaded to my software raid0 array, then deleted the array, rebuilt it with the extra drive, then started the download.

A lot of resources are compressed and data rates can include the 'actual content of the game' versus 'the compressed volume of data you actually downloaded'.

You can view in task manager the real data rate traversing your NIC during the download or if you have a fancy router take a look at the live data rate for that stream.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

1 minute ago, aCatchyUserName said:

Yes, but I specifically downloaded to my software raid0 array, then deleted the array, rebuilt it with the extra drive, then started the download.

When did you clear your temporary-files the last time?

Just now, beersykins said:

A lot of resources are compressed and data rates can include the 'actual content of the game' versus 'the compressed volume of data you actually downloaded'.

So it's decompressing as it downloads? 

1 minute ago, beersykins said:

By factor 100? 

Just now, Sir0Tek said:

When did you clear your temporary-files the last time?

I haven't. The windows install is just a few days old.

Chill out guys, it's not 10gbit, it's "just" 1gbit.

With 75gbyte in 600sec you are looking at 128mbyte/s, which is gigabit. 

However that's still 10x faster than you ordered and slightly faster than your NIC but that might be faster in 5ghz or whatever. 

Also, I hate you for getting more than you ordered (by literally orders of magnitude) while I get 50% less than I pay for :(

Edit: BTW, who told you a raid0 of 7 drives was a good idea? I hope you don't save any important data in that array. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

If you were already logged in into your microsoft store account it sometimes downloads them anyway without asking for it.

Last week I had a laptop that had 33GB of games from the store, even tho none of the games it downloaded were installed. It basically downloads them and caches them in case you need it one day.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, aCatchyUserName said:

I haven't. The windows install is just a few days old.

Did you download Forza4 with the newly installed windows, then re-arranged the raid-array, then downloaded Forza4 again?

Does anyone in your house already have the game installed on a PC (or possibly even an Xbox One)? Windows 10 has the ability to pull files from a local source if one is available, it does it seemlessly and AFAIK doesn't even tell you its doing it. IIRC it works with Windows Store apps and Windows Updates, if you click the "About Faster Downloads" link it will tell you all the info.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Chill out guys, it's not 10gbit, it's "just" 1gbit.

With 75gbyte in 600sec you are looking at 128mbyte/s, which is gigabit. 

However that's still 10x faster than you ordered and slightly faster than your NIC but that might be faster in 5ghz or whatever. 

Also, I hate you for getting more than you ordered (by literally orders of magnitude) while I get 50% less than I pay for :(

600 seconds going full throttle on gigabit... That's hard to reach for intranet. 

Did you download Forza4 with the newly installed windows, then re-arranged the raid-array, then downloaded Forza4 again?

Yes, my array is not yet bootable, and is just a windows software array... I didn't do my research, and found out that I need Intel nvme drives for VROC. I have been reconfiguring while learning. 

If anybody wants 512GB nvme drives, I want to eventually get all intel... $50/each

I have 7. 4x Toshiba, 2x Samsung, 1x liteon.

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Does anyone in your house already have the game installed on a PC (or possibly even an Xbox One)? Windows 10 has the ability to pull files from a local source if one is available, it does it seemlessly and AFAIK doesn't even tell you its doing it. IIRC it works with Windows Store apps and Windows Updates, if you click the "About Faster Downloads" link it will tell you all the info.

There is an Xbox one with it installed, but I see so many limitations to reach that speed. The wifi upload speed on the Xbox (which was powered off at the time), the router speed, my Intel wifi limits, etc.

1 minute ago, aCatchyUserName said:

Yes, my array is not yet bootable, and is just a windows software array... I didn't do my research, and found out that I need Intel nvme drives for VROC. I have been reconfiguring while learning. 

If anybody wants 512GB nvme drives, I want to eventually get all intel... $50/each

I have 7. 4x Toshiba, 2x Samsung, 1x liteon.

I bet that shipping costs will spoil the total...

But you did redownload the game on the very windows install used for the 1st download, without clearing the temporary-files in the meantime?

Just now, Sir0Tek said:

But you did redownload the game on the very windows install used for the 1st download, without clearing the temporary-files in the meantime?

Yes. Would it store 75GB in temp files?

Just now, Sir0Tek said:

Dude, he rebuilt the RAID array and added an extra drive. The old data, including the Cache, is 100% gone.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

16 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

By factor 100? 

Mathematically that's obviously not a factor of 100.

Per others there may be some cached resources and similar.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Dude, he rebuilt the RAID array and added an extra drive. The old data, including the Cache, is 100% gone.

That's EXACTLY why I'm confused.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Try reading it again.