Should I use the short or long plates for AM4? (Noctua 15 chromax black + 3950x + 570z build) + fan cable on Define R6

Windows95

Yo quick question. What are the correct plates to use in this case? it comes with one that is longer than the other, 2 sets. So im confused.

Another question would be: The Fraktal Define R6 comes with a panel where you plug all of the fans. So then, there is a cable, and this cable I assume controls all of the fans connected in this pannel thingy:

a11_081719.jpg

See on the left. So my question is: Where do I plug this pannel at? I've got this (mine is the non wifi version but I guess its the same):

Screenshot-2020-02-28-Gigabyte-X570-Aoru

So, I assume the PUMP ones I will not be using since that sounds like its made for AIO. Then, we got CPU_FAN, that is obviously for the Noctua 15. So I plug it all in SYS_FAN1 I guess, and this controls the entire R6 fan hub on the image at the left side? I just don't get it. Where is SYS_FAN3 btw? Also im confused because the Noctua 15 has 2 fans, and there is only one CPU_FAN thing to plug a cable in.

Also: All those F_ things are for the frontal stuff that you can use on your case right?

In my case, I would I like to use the blue led of the R6 as a disk activity led, instead of a constant on led that does nothing. My questio is, where is this locate? can't see it there.

thanks

1 minute ago, Windows95 said:

Yo quick question. What are the correct plates to use in this case? it comes with one that is longer than the other, 2 sets. So im confused.

You need this:

image.png.bfbd14a8e393c24668979fbf1d28b1cd.png

3 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

Another question would be: The Fraktal Define R6 comes with a panel where you plug all of the fans. So then, there is a cable, and this cable I assume controls all of the fans connected in this pannel thingy:

See on the left. So my question is: Where do I plug this pannel at? I've got this (mine is the non wifi version but I guess its the same):

This page of the Define R6 page should explain it all:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.24887b0e8ce43b9d4be6f4e049fb03be.png

And you plug it into CPU_FAN on your motherboard, top edge, from the middle it's a bit to the right:

Spoiler

image.png.e662c9cc308e47d3ef23907a5556ab3b.png

Of course it also needs SATA power, which comes from your PSU.

6 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

So, I assume the PUMP ones I will not be using since that sounds like its made for AIO. Then, we got CPU_FAN, that is obviously for the Noctua 15. So I plug it all in SYS_FAN1 I guess, and this controls the entire R6 fan hub on the image at the left side? I just don't get it. Where is SYS_FAN3 btw? Also im confused because the Noctua 15 has 2 fans, and there is only one CPU_FAN thing to plug a cable in.

Either plug all your fans into your motherboard, or plug them all into the fan controller (as described above).

If you want to connect them to your motherboard:

- Noctua comes with a splitter so you can use both fans on one header, but your motherboard actually has two fan headers (one to the left to the CPU_FAN header, which I circled in the above picture)

- the other fan positions are along the sides. I placed a blue rectangle around those in the picture (not sure  why the skipped 3 and 5)

10 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

Also: All those F_ things are for the frontal stuff that you can use on your case right?

In my case, I would I like to use the blue led of the R6 as a disk activity led, instead of a constant on led that does nothing. My questio is, where is this locate? can't see it there.

Those are for the on/off switch, reset switch, HDD activity LED. There is also front audio.

F_Panel are in the bottom right (see the orange rectangle) and the front panel audio is in the bottom left (green rectangle).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

24 minutes ago, minibois said:

You need this:

image.png.bfbd14a8e393c24668979fbf1d28b1cd.png

This page of the Define R6 page should explain it all:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.24887b0e8ce43b9d4be6f4e049fb03be.png

And you plug it into CPU_FAN on your motherboard, top edge, from the middle it's a bit to the right:

Hide contents

image.png.e662c9cc308e47d3ef23907a5556ab3b.png

Of course it also needs SATA power, which comes from your PSU.

Either plug all your fans into your motherboard, or plug them all into the fan controller (as described above).

If you want to connect them to your motherboard:

- Noctua comes with a splitter so you can use both fans on one header, but your motherboard actually has two fan headers (one to the left to the CPU_FAN header, which I circled in the above picture)

- the other fan positions are along the sides. I placed a blue rectangle around those in the picture (not sure  why the skipped 3 and 5)

Those are for the on/off switch, reset switch, HDD activity LED. There is also front audio.

F_Panel are in the bottom right (see the orange rectangle) and the front panel audio is in the bottom left (green rectangle).

But all the fans are 4 pin fans... afaik PWM fans are 4 pin. So I've got x3 SW3 120mm 4 pin fans and then at the rear x1 SW3 140mm 4pin fan. So there aren't enough slots, there is only 3... what then?

The R6 stock fans are 3 pins.. so this means they always go at fixed 1000 rpm? I thought you could control these too. But as far as I know, only if they are 4 pin you can control them.

2 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

But all the fans are 4 pin fans... afaik PWM fans are 4 pin. So I've got x3 SW3 120mm 4 pin fans and then at the rear x1 SW3 140mm 4pin fan. So there aren't enough slots, there is only 3... what then?

You have SYS_FAN 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6. 5 and 6 are labeled as PUMP too, but it's either PUMP or FAN.

image.thumb.png.1252a54e2d359262e46934e1077d777f.png

So that's place for 5 system fans and 2 CPU fans (and again, the cooler comes with a splitter, so you really only need 1 for the CPU).

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, minibois said:

You have SYS_FAN 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6. 5 and 6 are labeled as PUMP too, but it's either PUMP or FAN.

image.thumb.png.1252a54e2d359262e46934e1077d777f.png

So that's place for 5 system fans and 2 CPU fans (and again, the cooler comes with a splitter, so you really only need 1 for the CPU).

I see, but can I mix connecting directly to the mobo and also to the fan hub on the R6? Like, connecting x3 SW3 120mm on the R6 hub, and the rear I put it in SYS_FAN 1, this is to have better cable management since I could hide the 3 120mm's cables better since they plug at the back, and also plug the CPU fan cable in there on the R6 hub, so I only 1 cable (rear 140mm) connected directly to the motherboard

And also, still not clear to me why R6 stock are 3 pin fans. Does this mean you cant control the speed? I may not even bother doing the comapration test, I think R6 stock fans are clearly a worse product compared to SW3, not worth the time to even compare, at least not today, I may do ti another day if im bored.

1 hour ago, Windows95 said:

I see, but can I mix connecting directly to the mobo and also to the fan hub on the R6? Like, connecting x3 SW3 120mm on the R6 hub, and the rear I put it in SYS_FAN 1, this is to have better cable management since I could hide the 3 120mm's cables better since they plug at the back, and also plug the CPU fan cable in there on the R6 hub, so I only 1 cable (rear 140mm) connected directly to the motherboard

And also, still not clear to me why R6 stock are 3 pin fans. Does this mean you cant control the speed? I may not even bother doing the comapration test, I think R6 stock fans are clearly a worse product compared to SW3, not worth the time to even compare, at least not today, I may do ti another day if im bored.

anyone knows this? last thing i want is to power up and find out some fan is not turning

1 minute ago, Windows95 said:

anyone knows this? last thing i want is to power up and find out some fan is not turning

The way you said it is probably the neatest option. So the 3 front fans to the fan hub and the rear fan to SYS FAN 1.

3 hours ago, lee32uk said:

The way you said it is probably the neatest option. So the 3 front fans to the fan hub and the rear fan to SYS FAN 1.

But then, I place the actual CPU fan cable into the CPU_OPT?

So to sum it up:

FANS.png

Is this OK? I just want to be sure things are going to work specially on the PWM side and react to the curves properly. Im just not sure about this.

Since I would have 3 case fans connected in a hub that then goes into "CPU_FAN", is the MOBO going to understand that those are 3 separate case fans and not just follow the curve set for the actual CPU fan? and does it make a difference from CPU_OPT and CPU_FAN too? I mean in the fan control settings.

At least from what I can see here, CPU_FAN and CPU_OTP are separated and have its own curve settings:

smartfan5-software.jpg

BUT, if im putting all 3 case fans inside the R6 hub... then how do I control that separately? wouldn't it just follow the same curve as CPU_FAN since its all connected there? This seems kinda dodgy. I mean, I guess I want the same settings for all the frontal fans anyway, but just asking, since it will be a bit confusing in the menu, as I would be changing 3 case fans in a setting that says "CPU_FAN" and changing actual CPU fan in "CPU_OPT" as it stands. And what about readings of rpm? If I use a software like speedfan, how is it going to know the speed for the 3 case fans connected in the hub? im not sure about this at all.

5 hours ago, Windows95 said:

yea you can do that

5 hours ago, Windows95 said:

3 pin can be controlled, you just have to set the fan control to DC mode, instead of PWM. 

PWM has more granular control, while DC mode means it's more like 'steps' instead of a smooth curve

3 hours ago, Windows95 said:

But then, I place the actual CPU fan cable into the CPU_OPT?

So to sum it up:

FANS.png

Is this OK? I just want to be sure things are going to work specially on the PWM side and react to the curves properly. Im just not sure about this.

Since I would have 3 case fans connected in a hub that then goes into "CPU_FAN", is the MOBO going to understand that those are 3 separate case fans and not just follow the curve set for the actual CPU fan? and does it make a difference from CPU_OPT and CPU_FAN too? I mean in the fan control settings.

At least from what I can see here, CPU_FAN and CPU_OTP are separated and have its own curve settings:

smartfan5-software.jpg

BUT, if im putting all 3 case fans inside the R6 hub... then how do I control that separately? wouldn't it just follow the same curve as CPU_FAN since its all connected there? This seems kinda dodgy. I mean, I guess I want the same settings for all the frontal fans anyway, but just asking, since it will be a bit confusing in the menu, as I would be changing 3 case fans in a setting that says "CPU_FAN" and changing actual CPU fan in "CPU_OPT" as it stands. And what about readings of rpm? If I use a software like speedfan, how is it going to know the speed for the 3 case fans connected in the hub? im not sure about this at all.

I would connect the Noctua cooler directly to the cpu fan header as you won't be able to connect it to the fan hub if you have 3 x 4 pin case fans.

I would then connect the fan hub to a normal fan header. There is Sys Fan 2 and Sys Fan 4 next to the 24 pin ATX connector. So you can use either of those.

The motherboard will control them automatically as they are all PWM.

17 hours ago, lee32uk said:

I would connect the Noctua cooler directly to the cpu fan header as you won't be able to connect it to the fan hub if you have 3 x 4 pin case fans.

I would then connect the fan hub to a normal fan header. There is Sys Fan 2 and Sys Fan 4 next to the 24 pin ATX connector. So you can use either of those.

The motherboard will control them automatically as they are all PWM.

yeah, my point is that PWM follows a curve you can customize, so if I put it all in the hub, the entire hub is controlled with the same curve and you cant do individual curves

i thought that the hub would only work on the CPU_FAN one because the tell you to put it there