Wow, thought she was smarter.

Edward78
4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It cheap in terms of return, and it is compared to other federal programs.  Success is always variable by area with that stuff. 

there's been no conclusive study showing that its beneficial. There is no consensus of it being good or bad.

5 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

It wasnt killed.

Im not sure why you keep saying it was. Its been around since the 60s where it was a summer school program and then in the 90s was expanded further.

I literally cant find anything saying it was killed at any point outside of you saying it lol.

This is what I remember.  I was in college in the 80’s the GOP killing head start was all over the news.  Claimed it was “waste”.  What was weird was compared in price to other programs they were promoting it was minuscule. 1/20th the cost of other programs.  It was the 80’s though.  A long time ago.  Bush Sr. or Clinton.  Not sure which.  In between there was Bush jr. and Obama.  Either might have reinstated it.  I’m betting on Busch jr.  he railed about being “the education president” though it became very clear very quickly that such a monicker applied only to early childhood and elementary.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

there's been no conclusive study showing that its beneficial. There is no consensus of it being good or bad.

Ah.  According to whom?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  According to whom?  

According to all the studies done over the decades.

The studies failed to produce an academic or political consensus about the program's effects.

There was no political consensus on global warming or a host of other things either.  Red in the generally doesn’t like either concept.  I recall someone stating once to me that the biggest predictor of whether or not a child does well in school is wheter or not the parents in question cared about it or not.  Iirc how many books there were in the home was another one which points to it being fairly old.

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There was no political consensus on global warming or a host of other things either.  Red in the generally doesn’t like either concept.  I recall someone stating once to me that the biggest predictor of whether or not a child does well in school is wheter or not the parents in question cared about it or not.  Iirc how many books there were in the home was another one which points to it being fairly old.

Your comparison of global warming to head start makes zero sense.

And whoever told you that has no idea what they are talking about...it also makes zero sense.

Just now, comander said:

What I heard was the biggest predictor of educational success was attendance rate. 

Even if you're lazy, showing up is half the battle. 

The issue in many studies is that many variables are correlated. Parents caring is likely correlated with attendance rate for example. 

Not all studies include at variables and many that include correlated variables end up with each variable taking half of the credit (or if regularization or factor analysis is used then one variable might drop from the model outright)

Home issues, attendance, and race are the biggest factors.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, comander said:

Race is an overloaded variable as it correlates strongly with culture and socioeconomic status (both of which correlate with home issues). Partialing those factors out also has its own issues. 

Race is usually separated to investigate self-fulfilling prophecy [and culture]. Home issues usually tackle interpersonal issues with family and the neighborhood. At least when it comes to sociology. If we're talking about psych, the metrics change quite a bit. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

6 hours ago, comander said:

What I heard was the biggest predictor of educational success was attendance rate. 

Even if you're lazy, showing up is half the battle. 

The issue in many studies is that many variables are correlated. Parents caring is likely correlated with attendance rate for example. 

Not all studies include at variables and many that include correlated variables end up with each variable taking half of the credit (or if regularization or factor analysis is used then one variable might drop from the model outright)

There is a Carnegie library everywhere aspect to the internet.  There are a lot of bad things, but it does have that.

6 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Your comparison of global warming to head start makes zero sense.

And whoever told you that has no idea what they are talking about...it also makes zero sense.

To you.  
you brought up political consensus.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

To you.  
you brought up political consensus.

I also brought up academic consensus.

You said head start was killed (it wasnt)

You said it is cheap (its not)

And you said it was beneficial (theres no consensus on it being beneficial. Theres tons of studies over over the past 60 years that shows that).

Just now, RonnieOP said:

I also brought up academic consensus.

You said head start was killed (it wasnt)

You said it is cheap (its not)

And you said it was beneficial (theres no consensus on it being beneficial. Theres tons of studies over over the past 60 years that shows that).

Academic consensus is much like political consensus for similar reasons.  I replied to the political one though.

13 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

The vast majority can do it with hard work. And the majority do. Sure we can find outliers. but those are exceptions not the rule.

Like I said theres literally nothing special about me. Average IQ, no special skills growing up, no direction in life, poor a shit, drug addict parents, horrible grades in school, did multiple stints in jail from 18-20 and was in prison at age 21, and had a child when i was 15 years old.

If my dumbass can prosper by virtue of nothing but hard work and sacrifice, then just about anyone can.

You dont have to be a top earner to prosper. You dont have to have the nicest things, live in the nicest home, etc. It doesnt take much to live comfortably in the US.

Real Mean IncomesMedical_Bills_Are_the_Biggest_Cause_of_US_Bankruptcies__Study

col3

dam if it doesnt cost much to live today then most people living in 1970 must have gold pianos. and can you afford to get sick in the US?

She just really made me mad when she tore this young woman up for accepting help from her parents to start a Business. 2 Shark Tanks ago (I think)..

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

13 minutes ago, Edward78 said:

She just really made me mad when she tore this young woman up for accepting help from her parents to start a Business. 2 Shark Tanks ago (I think)..

What was the context? Was the business a stupid business? Was there real and good potential for profit?

Sometimes the hosts on shows like Dragons Den and Shark Tank are brutally honest, to the degree where it's hurtful to hear, but sometimes necessary to hear.

For example, if I borrow my elderly mother's retirement fund on a business idea that is stupid and destined to fail, I should get torn into for doing that.

I'd need more context before I could inherently blame her for doing what you've described.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Real Mean IncomesMedical_Bills_Are_the_Biggest_Cause_of_US_Bankruptcies__Study

col3

dam if it doesnt cost much to live today then most people living in 1970 must have gold pianos. and can you afford to get sick in the US?

How does this prove that its hard to live in the US?

Cost of living in the us has gone up....as has it in most countries. 

16 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

How does this prove that its hard to live in the US?

Cost of living in the us has gone up....as has it in most countries. 

sure it can be hard in other countries also but this does show that its not easy to live in the US as money gets you less and less and one thing that is unique to the US is one major medical issue and you can be reset to square 1 and go bankrupt

29 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

sure it can be hard in other countries also but this does show that its not easy to live in the US as money gets you less and less and one thing that is unique to the US is one major medical issue and you can be reset to square 1 and go bankrupt

For the majority of people its easy to live in the US.

Even the graphs you showed proves that. The numbers are nothing compared to the total population.

One medical issue and you could be reset....yes "could" being the keyword. Most people have health insurance.

Is its going to be easy if your 40 with 3 kids working at burger king? No. But where would that be easy?

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

What was the context? Was the business a stupid business? Was there real and good potential for profit?

Sometimes the hosts on shows like Dragons Den and Shark Tank are brutally honest, to the degree where it's hurtful to hear, but sometimes necessary to hear.

For example, if I borrow my elderly mother's retirement fund on a business idea that is stupid and destined to fail, I should get torn into for doing that.

I'd need more context before I could inherently blame her for doing what you've described.

I do wish I could find a vid.,  I think it was 2 weeks ago,.

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

17 minutes ago, Edward78 said:

I do wish I could find a vid.,  I think it was 2 weeks ago,.

If you happen to come across a clip, feel free to post it.

A lot of successful business people come across as assholes - sometimes they are. But sometimes they're just seeing something and understanding a greater context due to their skills, knowledge, and experience.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 3/2/2020 at 5:29 PM, nick name said:

It's also nice that we use commas here with numbers.  Why the fack do parts of the world use a period to denote 400,000.00?  When did that become a thing?  If anything -- omit the punctuation so folks know that the period doesn't determine the separation between the dollar and the cent. 

That has to be one of the most ignorant posts I've read in this forum. They never "started" using period - writing 400,000.00 instead of 400.000,00 is a convention difference between languages that has always been there, and pretty much like the imperial units system, "400,000.00" is pretty much an English thing, so in French, German, Spanish, it's always been "400.000,00".

Therefore, for those using the "400.000,00" notation, "omitting punctuation" won't make anything clearer, on the contrary. Just like for those writing "400,000.00" omitting punctuation so "the rest of the world doesn't think the comma separates the dollar and the cent" would not make any sense.

What's next, a post asking "where did parts of the world stop speaking English"? 9_9

9 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That has to be one of the most ignorant posts I've read in this forum. They never "started" using period - writing 400,000.00 instead of 400.000,00 is a convention difference between languages that has always been there, and pretty much like the imperial units system, "400,000.00" is pretty much an English thing, so in French, German, Spanish, it's always been "400.000,00".

Therefore, for those using the "400.000,00" notation, "omitting punctuation" won't make anything clearer, on the contrary. Just like for those writing "400,000.00" omitting punctuation so "the rest of the world doesn't think the comma separates the dollar and the cent" would not make any sense.

What's next, a post asking "where did parts of the world stop speaking English"? 9_9

One of the most ignorant?!?  I like to think I have written FAR more ignorant posts ;D

..ok.  Maybe not THAT much more...

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You're right.  I was ignorant to the fact as I wasn't taught it when learning German and Spanish in school.  Never saw it in Mexico, Korea or Japan.  So if you think my asking about it rises to the level of the most ignorant post you've read on this forum then you need to read more posts on this forum.  

Now if you can't understand the world operates on the US Dollar

and that it isn't ridiculous to expect when, writing about the US Dollar certain conventions remain true to their origin

then your feigned outrage is one of the most ignorant posts I've read on this forum.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

15 hours ago, comander said:

I usually assess things from the lens of a statistician first and an economist second. 

Statisticians generally only care about having most relevant information content at a low collection cost. If you collect 10000 data points with 90 variables, you do hold it or k-folds and 30 variables describe the underlying data well without overfitting too much then you're off to the races. Bonus points for removing variable labels. 

Those not trained in stats usually start from a qualitative theory, toss those handful of variables in, see if p < .05 and then publish. If it's not then fiddle with variables a bit until you get it. No regularization, no efforts to ensure that they're building a robust model, relatively little concern for how well the data is fitted. etc. Probably a good part of why many (most?) Social science studies seem to not reproduce. 

Economics tends to be somewhere between the two in terms of model building, though a bit closer to social sciences, other than the guy who dabbles in quantitative finance, since macro economics has sparse data (you use what you get) and micro tends to have very very expensive hypotheses. 

I usually care little for stats unless it's relevant to medicine. I'm doing minors on socio and psych and I'd prefer to learn the why and how of fixing issues. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler