Is it legal

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

"Reloaded" and "Repacked" mean they are cracked or use key generator. So those would be illegal or rather pirated versions. The actual laws varies between countries, so calling something legal/illegal is not easy.

If those games can be found somewhere, like GOG.com for example, then using pirated copies is against copyright laws. If not, then the abandonware becomes a thing. Still, actually paying for them is better if only to calm your nerves about being thief.

Hey guys 

There are games it's kinda old, that I can't find on steam or any other stores like amazing Spiderman games and TMNT 2003 etc  I can only find the free reloaded or repacked versions my q is is it legal to download this versions

Just now, No name 2 said:

Hey guys 

There are games it's kinda old, that I can't find on steam or any other stores like amazing Spiderman games and TMNT 2003 etc  I can only find the free reloaded or repacked versions my q is is it legal to download this versions

Depends on your local laws on piracy, wouldn't it?

But in most countries it would not be seen as legal, but the publishers probably wouldn't go after you either. But that is not a great argument on why you should do something 'because you probably wouldn't get caught'.

It's probably best to purchase the game off eBay or something.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

Depends on your local laws on piracy, wouldn't it?

But in most countries it would not be seen as legal, but the publishers probably wouldn't go after you either. But that is not a great argument on why you should do something 'because you probably wouldn't get caught'.

It's probably best to purchase the game off eBay or something.

My country doesn't consider it a crime actually there are people download this repacks versions and sell it on CD but I just respect my faith so I want to know am I trespassing on the publisher's rights  by downloading these versions or no

What you're describing is abandonware: software that has stopped being supported and is generally ignored by its publisher or the publisher's succeeding entity. Abandonware is a gray area. The publisher may still hold the copyrights and trademarks for the game, and even if they're ignoring it today, they may start enforcing those copyrights tomorrow. That's why most abandonware sites are full of '90s publishers like Sierra or NovaLogic rather than late '90s EA or UbiSoft titles, for example.

I'm putting my own personal views on abandonware down here just in case the mods think this treads too close to piracy. Remove this part, guys. :)

My theory on abandonware is as follows: if the game is no longer supported by the publisher and is not being sold by the publisher anywhere, online or even in stores as part of a shareware pack, and it hasn't had a patch issued in at least five years, then it's fair game. "Publisher" can also mean the successor, i.e., old vintage-1990s Sim games that were sold by Maxis originally, now being offered by EA. Steam has kind of changed the playing field given how easy and inexpensive it is for a publisher to leave '90s games up for sale indefinitely. If there's no other realistic way to get the game that compensates the publisher or successor for their work in creating it, then I have no issues downloading it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

"Reloaded" and "Repacked" mean they are cracked or use key generator. So those would be illegal or rather pirated versions. The actual laws varies between countries, so calling something legal/illegal is not easy.

If those games can be found somewhere, like GOG.com for example, then using pirated copies is against copyright laws. If not, then the abandonware becomes a thing. Still, actually paying for them is better if only to calm your nerves about being thief.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv