Post moderation notification

Levent

In the current report system when a post gets reported its up to whoever is dealing with the report to let the user know that post is moderated. For example wkdpaul dm's when he moves or deletes posts however it is only him that does that (the only one that I know of)

It would be nice to have a system that provides a feedback to user on reason behind moderation. I dont think this would put that much extra effort on moderation team. I also think there should be a way to dispute the moderation in that system.

Anyways just my 2cents, a lot of moderation happens here daily and none of them can be questioned or disputed plus its always good to know when your post is removed, moved or edited.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Anyways just my 2cents, a lot of moderation happens here daily and none of them can be questioned or disputed plus its always good to know when your post is removed, moved or edited.

This isn't true. It's even said in Community Standards. If you have issue with moderation, you can PM admins about it. Or PM some moderator. Issues will then be brought into attention of whole team.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

This isn't true. It's even said in Community Standards. If you have issue with moderation, you can PM admins about it. Or PM some moderator. Issues will then be brought into attention of whole team.

It is a cumbersome process. That would need another member of moderation to agree with users dispute. Also we only have 2 admins,  I would rather have my dispute available to whole moderation without requiring someone else to agree. Currently that's only possible if I dm to mortis or whiskers.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I've not that many dealings with moderation of my posts. But when it was done i could always find a reason in either the topic or the inbox.

But i do agree, that the user should be informed, even if its just so they can know not to make the same mistake again.
But like i said, afaik thats being done.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

17 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

I've not that many dealings with moderation of my posts. But when it was done i could always find a reason in either the topic or the inbox.

But i do agree, that the user should be informed, even if its just so they can know not to make the same mistake again.
But like i said, afaik thats being done.

Not just that, it helps a ton with transparency side of things.

Moderators reaching out to members is entirely manual, and sometimes it's not always possible for a mod to PM the person.

I know there is an automatic notification feature on other forums (like RedFlagDeals), but I'm unsure if that is something we have or want to use here ;

image.png.7350088262700f33c488537b85602532.png

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

In most cases where clarification is needed, most moderators do dm/pm as to why, in some other cases we leave a comment in the topic or on the comment itself (edited for <insert reason>). Obviously I cant speak for all moderators of course. I can only speak to what is expected of us by the Admins.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 hours ago, Levent said:

In the current report system when a post gets reported its up to whoever is dealing with the report to let the user know that post is moderated. For example wkdpaul dm's when he moves or deletes posts however it is only him that does that (the only one that I know of)

It would be nice to have a system that provides a feedback to user on reason behind moderation. I dont think this would put that much extra effort on moderation team. I also think there should be a way to dispute the moderation in that system.

You have to remember that these are forums owned and paid for by LTT. That means they are fully in control of what content they want or allow on it. So if they decide something should be deleted or removed they can just do it. They don't owe you, me, or anyone anything. It might be best practice, but it should just be considered a courtesy if they do choose to do so.

24 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

You have to remember that these are forums owned and paid for by LTT. That means they are fully in control of what content they want or allow on it. So if they decide something should be deleted or removed they can just do it.

Very true, this is mentioned in the Community Standards, also Linus and Luke would be WAY more harsh than we are ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg-qVqjUN_w&t=36m0s

They don't owe you, me, or anyone anything. It might be best practice, but it should just be considered a courtesy if they do choose to do so.

While we technically don't have to, we do try to contact members, yes, but sometimes life get in the way, one thing people forget is, we do this voluntarily, on our own time ... Sometimes I'll remove a reply or a thread and IRL stuff happens before I have the chance to contact the member.

I'm not being selfish here when I say that my family and my work comes first, that's the same for the other mods, and it's understood in the team that if we need to take care of something IRL, then there's absolutely no issues and they can take the time needed ( in some cases months ).

Edited by wkdpaul

20 hours ago, Levent said:

a lot of moderation happens here daily and none of them can be questioned or disputed

I see your point overall, but it doesn't work that way ;) If you have an issue with moderation, as mentioned in our Community Standards, you take it up with said mod directly or PM anyone else from the moderation team. Mod decisions aren't a public debate here and I'm fairly certain that they never will be ?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I see your point overall, but it doesn't work that way ;)

True, also, moderators aren't like cowboys issuing warning like it's candy. There's always a discussion about the appropriate course of action (there are exceptions like spam bots and posting guidelines violations like in the Tech news section)

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Mod decisions aren't a public debate here

I think it's like that in the majority of forums, especially big ones like LTT.

I've wasted plenty of mederators' (and an admin's) time and they all seemed more than willing to spend that time.  If I had the option of impaneling a group of mods then I'd only have wasted their time as well.  While I haven't always agreed with an assessment -- I realize it isn't my assessment that matters.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case