Shopping for function over fashion in 2020.

N7_RiZe

Hey everyone, due to my PSU dieing 4 years into it's 10 year warranty, I feel like it's given me the kick up the butt I need to get a new PC case for my main and/or finally building a 2nd PC of which I've had parts for a long time, which i'll be using for a sim racing setup.
I currently have a Gamemax Abyss which I got after watching the full RGB PC videoI can confidently say I don't like it so I'd like to get rid of it if I need to tear down my PC for the dead PSU. For the Abyss, apart from the infinity window, the LEDs are way too annoying to keep on since they emit the light outwards rather than in the case, long story short it's just a Chinese knock off the InWin case from the video which is terrible to work with.
Before the Gamemax case I had a Inwin MaNa 136 (I still have it, currently empty but was previously used for a linux backup PC) which was a prebuilt system I got in 2013. From my few years in IT I will easily say that the MaNa 136 is the best case I've seen in person. 6 full 3.5" HDD slots and the 3 front expansion slots is what gets me all while having great options for air cooling and a nice looking front. The Abyss only has 2 full HDD slots (advertised as 3 which is false) while having a few 2.5" areas just put wherever they could. Back to the MaNa, I miss the DVD drive as I always seem to have to dig up my laptop im using right now to make an iso, then transfer it over. Same for SD cards, it would be nice to get an internal slot front panel for different storage cards, no need for USB adapters. A few things the MaNa 136 lacks is dedicated space for my SSD and a side panel window as that is something I personally do really like (even with no RGB/LEDs), instead it has air flow holes which covers about 30% of the side.
As you can see I'm someone who likes to have function over fashion, (of course without the generic office PC look and well the Abyss is terrible so maybe you can prove me wrong), in my opinion the front of a case should provide airflow, front expansion and personally the power + included USB. I feel that a flat front panel is wasted space.

So I'd like to ask you reading this, what's your opinions on the topic?
What PC case/s should I look for, for either the main PC or 2nd PC?
And are there any good looking cases with the functionality I talked about above without breaking the bank?

Trying to list features you want:

side window

1x5.25” ext. bay

3x3.5”bay

multifuncion SS card reader (might need a 3.5” ext bay and $20 for this one)

2.5” spaces for ssd(s? Number?)

I feel I’m missing some stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thanks but I'm already fully aware of what I'm personally after, you are correct though, it's just after looking around there's very little NEW options available.
What I've seen so far is:
CM 590 III: Great price, looks pretty nice. Perhaps too small? Only decent new coolermaster case.
Obsidian Series™ 750D Airflow Edition Full Tower ATX Case:
Perfect features, looks a bit too simple, ugly front fan space, although too expensive for what I think it's worth.
Other options either don't have front airflow or are way too overdone.

In response to 
Bombastinator to list what I'm looking for, I'm looking for something with at least two front expansion bays (DVD drive and perhaps more USB and SD etc ports), space for 2 front fans with actual space for them (not behind a flat panel, something that works with the design of the case), a good amount of full HDD bays, dedicated SSD spaces, side window and top space to mount a rad. Anything outside of that is bonus. I currently have 2 HDDs (previously a third loose one in the Abyss) with an SSD, I have bunch of extra drives spare so potential space for them is ideal. Trying to buy something new, amazon prime availability would be perfect because used cases are too much hassle, either too far away or too big to post.

I doubt the perfect case for me is out there but if it is, I'll most likely get it. I'll keep looking around, I'm probably missing older models or unfamiliar brands. The Abyss was around £85 so I'll start there as my potential maximum.

I was trying to list stuff because I got the impression you were looking for case suggestions and I was trying to figure out what might meet your criteria.   There were a couple possible definitions of what “the topic” might be.  I guess it was not what it was.  As far as commonalities go the only even somewhat uncommon bit is the external 5.25” bay.  There are still a lot of cases that have that.  Finding a case WITHOUT a glass side panel is nearly impossible these days so that won’t be an issue.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

There were a couple possible definitions of what “the topic” might be.

I was hoping to start some sort of discussion of people's opinions on the features I want and why everything in one case seems hard to find, such as do they agree, the current direction the case market is heading / is right now and what do they currently use etc, as I feel like I was in a large group of people for what case I'm looking for but obviously it seems I'm being very picky.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I was trying to list stuff because I got the impression you were looking for case suggestions and I was trying to figure out what might meet your criteria.

You were correct (my bad if I worded my reply wrong), as also with trying to start a discussion, with that I was looking for recommendations due to the surprisingly lack of cases that fit what I want.

Continuing from before.
As for me I'm probably going to get the 750D, seems to be everything I want, it's just from the pictures it doesn't seem very attractive but my opinion could change when if I see it irl. However, another great option is the MasterCase MC500, £50 cheaper to the 750D on Amazon, much more attractive to me from the pictures, full glass side panel, but it's a mid tower so room may be an issue if I pack it with everything I want. The price and looks do say a lot, I'm in a big pickle about which to choose if it has to be between these two. Ebay seems to be a bust right now. I'm still waiting for any reply regarding my dead PSU's warranty so I have plenty of time to decide and look around for others.

18 hours ago, N7_RiZe said:

However, another great option is the MasterCase MC500,

The MC500 is solid, the Mastercase lineup across the board has actually been pretty good (Except the original H500P)

There's no set definition on "Mid tower" vs "Full tower", it's a generic word thrown around (For example, the Lian Li PC-O11D was originally listed as a full tower before realizing hey, it's smaller than case s like the Fractal Design R6 which is also a mid tower. 

Personally I choose a case based on the build I'm doing, so there's many options I might choose. My favorite for a while was the Enthoo Pro M TG since it was abasically a slightly longer Meshify C, which for most people is the best all-rounder case.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

18 hours ago, N7_RiZe said:

I was hoping to start some sort of discussion of people's opinions on the features I want and why everything in one case seems hard to find, such as do they agree, the current direction the case market is heading / is right now and what do they currently use etc, as I feel like I was in a large group of people for what case I'm looking for but obviously it seems I'm being very picky.

You were correct (my bad if I worded my reply wrong), as also with trying to start a discussion, with that I was looking for recommendations due to the surprisingly lack of cases that fit what I want.

Continuing from before.
As for me I'm probably going to get the 750D, seems to be everything I want, it's just from the pictures it doesn't seem very attractive but my opinion could change when if I see it irl. However, another great option is the MasterCase MC500, £50 cheaper to the 750D on Amazon, much more attractive to me from the pictures, full glass side panel, but it's a mid tower so room may be an issue if I pack it with everything I want. The price and looks do say a lot, I'm in a big pickle about which to choose if it has to be between these two. Ebay seems to be a bust right now. I'm still waiting for any reply regarding my dead PSU's warranty so I have plenty of time to decide and look around for others.

I wouldn’t say you’re being picky, particularly except you’re looking for older legacy features a lot of newer builders not only are not looking for but actively do not want.  Multiple 3.5” HD bays for example.  5.25” external is another.  It’s kind of hard to even FIND dvd stuff these days.  There are a few cases that have integral SD card readers but most of the formats other than SD have flat out died.  The 3.5” external for a card reader for multiple formats of extinct data cards is something downright rare.  They exist, but only because there are companies still using older tooling.

3.5” bays and 5.25” stuff uses up front of the case real estate newer builders want to use for fans.  There will be very high end cases that are huge and have everything just because, and very low end cases that have older stuff because it was in tooling that is still used, but I don’t think you’re going to find anything in the middle or new designs.

as a possible suggestion, instead of trying to find a 5.25 and a 3.5 external, look for 2 5.25 external and either buy a 5.25 card reader or convert it to 3.5.  More choice that way.  5.25 is easier to find than 3.5