Windows 10 search borked by server side issues, opens can of worms about offline functions linked to cloud

JankyJeff

Evidently some alleged server side issues at MS broke the ability of many users to be able to do local searches on their machines.

Much ado was (andis still) being made, and a regedit level tweak is required for some users to get functionality back:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/02/06/windows-10-warning-serious-failure-provokes-questions-and-anger/#713a70746a52

6600K @ 4.7 GHz ASUS 1070, OCed a bit. Mini iTX case, same mobo as Paul's "hotbox" build.

@JankyJeff

Your thread was moved out of the Tech News section.

If you want your thread to be moved back in the News section, please edit it to make sure it follows the posting guidelines ;

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Holy smokes, so this is why I can't search for anything on either my laptop or desktop.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I didn't have any problems with search.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

A Forbes article is stating that Windows 10 needs Microsoft server support to search for files on my local machine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/02/08/windows-10-warning-serious-failure-provokes-questions-and-anger/#47b49bd37169

Now Linus knows why search is so bad.   I can see a lot of third party search software being written, because of this.

12 minutes ago, kris44dad said:

A Forbes is stating that Windows 10 needs Microsoft server support to search for files on my local machine.

> Merged with the existing discussion.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Damn it, I just wrote up a post about potential causes with some of the features in windows, then spotty merged the threads right as I was posting and it disappeared.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Windows has some features that allow you to link devices so you can share documents and files. It also shares your search history across devices and uses bing for that.  If this is interfering with the search function due to a borked update then it makes perfect sense that local searches would fail.  They could be trying to access other devices across the net that don't exist. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Damn it, I just wrote up a post about potential causes with some of the features in windows, then spotty merged the threads right as I was posting and it disappeared.

Sorry! :D

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450