Question: Do you register your components on the manufacturer’s website? ?

GamerBlake

So a lot of the components I’ve purchased have little cards in the box saying “Don’t forget to register your XYZ” and I’m wondering if I should register them or does it not really matter?

Does registering a product provide any benefit that is worth the time it takes to go through all the steps to register?

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

Warranty registration is usually processed by doing that. So yes 

-Moved to General Discussion-

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Yes, do that, it helps a lot when you have to claim the warranty as the info is already in the manufacturer's system. Specially if you have multiple products of the same brand.

48 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Warranty registration is usually processed by doing that. So yes 

-Moved to General Discussion-

Sorry about that I wasn’t sure where to post it but I figured “Well I’m talking about registering components that usually takes place prior to building the PC so I’ll post it in Build Logs.”

I wasn’t trying to break the rules I swear.

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

43 minutes ago, Suzaku said:

Yes, do that, it helps a lot when you have to claim the warranty as the info is already in the manufacturer's system. Specially if you have multiple products of the same brand.

Ohhh ok! Well I have an MSI Laptop, MSI monitor and MSI motherboard and I only registered the motherboard because of the $50 rebate and free Monster Hunter World base game and Iceborne expansion,

I also have an EVGA 2080 Ti and EVGA CLC 280mm AIO so I was going to register those too.

34 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Registering a product gets you through the warranty process smoother, if they even let you start it without registering it first.

Oh wow really?! You have to register it to get the warranty?

Just now, it_dont_work said:

Nope, doesn't help with warranty at all in Australia, is usually just a waste of time. 

What about the people who say it extends the warranty? I checked EVGA and it says registering the product adds an extra 3 months to the warranty. With MSI you can get the warranty extended by filling out a survey after registering.

1 minute ago, GamerBlake said:

What about the people who say it extends the warranty? I checked EVGA and it says registering the product adds an extra 3 months to the warranty. With MSI you can get the warranty extended by filling out a survey after registering.

If something sold in Australia doesn't last a reasonable amount of time, the store you bought it from needs to have it replaced. I just had my (1 year warranty) dishwasher replaced at 7 years old, because law says it should last around ten years.

90% of extended warranty is bs

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Just now, it_dont_work said:

If something sold in Australia doesn't last a reasonable amount of time, the store you bought it from needs to have it replaced. I just had my (1 year warranty) dishwasher replaced at 7 years old, because law says it should last around ten years.

90% of extended warranty is bs

Ah well Australia must have stronger consumer protection laws than some other countries.

Here in the US it’s up to the company’s discretion if they want to replace an item that’s out of warranty.

However most electronics products do come with 1-2 year warranties at a minimum. Some, like Corsair’s PSU, come with a 10 year warranty right from purchase.

1 minute ago, GamerBlake said:

Ah well Australia must have stronger consumer protection laws than some other countries.

Here in the US it’s up to the company’s discretion if they want to replace an item that’s out of warranty.

However most electronics products do come with 1-2 year warranties at a minimum. Some, like Corsair’s PSU, come with a 10 year warranty right from purchase.

If something is advertised here with a warranty period longer than 1 year (most consumer products this is the minimum here), So say like seasonic they advertise a 5 year warranty, the store you purchase it from needs to replace it if it breaks within warranty. If that store no longer exists then the company that produced it should, international companies without offices here that gets to be an issue, for example evga isn't sold here. 

Standard warranty terms here by law are 

-Fit for purpose the item was sold for. (what a sales persons tells you counts here as well, ie "yea mate X cpu will overclock to blah, if it doesn't return it) 

-Breaks through no fault other than intended use, repair,replacement, or refund is up to the point of purchase +plus a reimbursement for the reasonable cost of returning the item (usually just a prepaid postage slip is given)

-Required to last for a reasonable amount of time compared to consumer expectations (this is a gray area, some items this is in law such as white goods, other consumer electronics that are more than a couple years old get harder)

Alot of companies offer extended warranties in Australia that don't give you better protections than you've already got by law, which i will admit some idiots buy. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Yep, especially for big purchases like my laptop i do it, i didnt know it was diretly related to warranty but for my alienware laptop it helped a lot to access to customer representative through my account to return and get it repaired when i had issues 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

43 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Oh wow really?! You have to register it to get the warranty?

Yes. Part of registering the product is proving when and where you bought it (usually by way of sending them a copy of the invoice or receipt). If they don't have that information already, you're going to go through a barrage of questions first.

17 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

In that case you are basically buying extended warranty above what is offered with the product originally. 

No, no point. For warranty you are here supposed to contact the store first anyway, I do some exceptions if I know the manufacturer have really good service bu otherwise no. And because the minimum by law here is so long, manufacturers don't usually offer extended warranty at all, and those that do usually don't matter.

And if some rare cases it does (PSUs maybe?) you can just registrer it before you contact them anyway.

Also, privacy, manufacturer don't have to know what product I have if there is no need.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, Marbo said:

In that case you are basically buying extended warranty above what is offered with the product originally. 

How is that buying an extended warranty if it doesn’t cost anything? ? 

Never buy extended warranty or insurances etc, never worth it.

Do register your products, can help and I have always found it handy.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

7 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

How is that buying an extended warranty if it doesn’t cost anything? ? 

Just because you're not paying cash doesn't mean it's not costing anything. 

They're giving you extended warranty in exchange for your personal details. 

I usually always register any new stuff I buy. Partly for like what Mira Yurizaki said, to make any possible warranty stuff go smooth.

Partly so I might eventually get more products and features I personally care about.

What is weird to me is how some companies don't seem to want me to register my new products.

I had tried several times over a period of months to register a new Samsung 4k TV and Blu-ray player on their website when I first bought them and couldn't do it.

When I complained about it on the website they asked me "why did I want to register?"

Which was weird to me since they had the link on the page to register new purchases. It just didn't work. ?

?