Planning a new 3000€+ build

Ouja

Hi,

First of, hey everyone! Finally decided to join the forums after lurking for awhile. 

I’m thinking about building a new computer. It would be mainly for gaming but also for game developement and content creation. I am pretty much set on a ryzen 3900x build. I’m from Finland so everything is in euros and pretty darn expensive. Here are the parts I’m thinking about:

Amd Ryzen 9 3900X - 559.00 €
Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - 294.90 €

G-skill 32GB (2 x 16GB) Trident Z Neo DDR4 3200MHz, CL16 - 219.00 €

Corsair 850W RM850x - 131.90 €
Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG Strix OC - 1 399.90€

Fractal Define R6 USB-C - 164.90 €

Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black - 99.90 €

Samsung 1TB 970 EVO Plus SSD nvme m.2 - 229.90 €

Samsung 2TB 860 QVO, 2.5" SSD - 249.90 €

Total - 3 349,30€

I’d love some input for a couple of things.

So with amd and nvidia both coming out with new gpus this year, I’m not sure if I should hold up on buying the 2080ti for now. It’s crazy expensive and I might get a significant boost in performance with possibly the same price if I wait. I currently have a gtx 1070 and I was wondering how badly would it bottleneck the build if I’d hold on to it for now? It would be temporary of course. Or should I just go for the 2080ti. 

Also I heard that there are alternatives for the ssd’s for cheaper with similar specs. What would you recommend?

The motherboard is pretty much a tie with the asus rog strix x570-F and asrock phantom gaming. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Feel free to make suggestions and point out any possible brainfarts!

A 1070 can run most modern games pretty well, but obviously you'll be missing out on ray tracing for the time being.

In all fairness, a 1070 for the meantime would probably be fine, yes it'd bottleneck the CPU etc, but you'd still get great performance on any new game, just might have to set it to very high instead of ultra.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too. Just feels borderline criminal to build a computer like this and neglect the gpu. Guess I’ll wait at least until there’s some news or more reliable leaks out about the cards before buying. 

Oh and to add, I have 100hz ultrawide 1440p monitor so that’s the target when it comes to gaming. 

Imo the difference between the 3900X and 3950X is much greater than the difference between the 2080 Super and 2080Ti, hence why I went with these parts. Basically, the 2080 Super offers most of the 2080Ti's performance, at almost €500 less, so unless you just really need the 11GB of VRAM, I'd highly suggest going with the 2080 Super instead.

But regarding what you said about the 1070, it should still handle modern AAA titles fine in the meantime, and depending on how good Nvidia's new offerings will be, it could be a smart choice to wait a little.

I changed up the 970 EVO PLUS for the MP600 to take advantage of PCI-E 4.0, so you will be getting better speeds, but if I had to be honest, it's more of just a placebo, as the 970 EVO PLUS will be more than fast enough for any task and it is a very reliable SSD, so you could just go with that. Also I swapped out the 860 QVO in favor of the 660p just because it's NVMe, so it will save you from having to run SATA cables and it will be faster than a regular SATA drive.

650W will be more than enough for this system, I was also considering a be quiet Straight Power 650W, but the RMx was cheaper and comes with a 10 year warranty, as opposed to just 5 years on the Straight Power.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I’m going to hold on to the gtx1070 for now and upgrade the gpu later, or if I get impatient, which I am prone to do. That 3950x is an interesting suggestion, I’ll have to look into that. It is over 300€ more expensive though. 2 nvme’s might be the way to go, I am looking to make as a clean a build as possible. 

Thanks for the help peeps, this is what I ordered:

So I left out the GPU but otherwise went pretty much with what I had thought. I changed the samsung SSD's to ADATA's and both are m.2 nvme and about the same price as the samsung ones were. I also upgraded the power supply. Eventhough less would've been more than enough, I like to have plenty of overhead. I picked the trident RGB memories since they were the cheapest 3600mhz c17 sticks, and they are b-die sticks so that's okay I think.

Thanks again!

On 1/20/2020 at 12:32 PM, Ouja said:

So with amd and nvidia both coming out with new gpus this year, I’m not sure if I should hold up on buying the 2080ti for now. It’s crazy expensive and I might get a significant boost in performance with possibly the same price if I wait.

Unless you've got wads to blow, I suggest the 2080Super over the Ti. A really well cooled Super unit with high clocks is $500 less than a low/mid tier model of Ti with really something between a 8-15% performance difference depending on title. (And we're talking very high functioning numbers either way here. It's barely a compromise.)

8 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Unless you've got wads to blow, I suggest the 2080Super over the Ti. A really well cooled Super unit with high clocks is $500 less than a low/mid tier model of Ti with really something between a 8-15% performance difference depending on title. (And we're talking very high functioning numbers either way here. It's barely a compromise.)

I'd wait for the 3000 series launch. Chances are the 3070 will have 2080 super levels of performance, for 2070 prices

10 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

I'd wait for the 3000 series launch. Chances are the 3070 will have 2080 super levels of performance, for 2070 prices

Fair enough! Guys like me are just gonna buy 2070s at 1070ti prices :P 

I'm the type of guy who usually makes rash decisions when buying stuff, but this time I'll do my best to wait what AMD and Nvidia have to offer this year. This is subject to change though.:p Hopefully we'll get some official info soon. Thanks for the suggestions, I welcome all opinions.