Looking to replace Case and PSU by myself. Sensible decision ?

Hey all.

so i have been looking to change my PSU ( as it is quite old ) and my Case ( as it has very poor cooling system ). I usually take it to a shop, but its quite far away from my home, so i figure i would do it myself.

Now i have adequate knowledge of computer and its components, but i am just scared of 'breaking' something. that's what freaks me out, as i cannot afford any mistakes ( literally can't afford, as everything is hell expensive here )

Let me know if it is wise for me to do this stuff by myself

Secondly, i need some help on choosing a case. Now we have a fair variety of cases available (  i will list some websites down below ) but i don't really know how to choose one that have enough space to fit my setup. 

I am listing my specs so you guys and gals can help me choose.

CPU COOLER : The default one that comes with Ryzen 1500x

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Rx580 8GB

Motherboard : BATTLE AXE C.X370M-G DELUXE V14

The PSU i will choose is Cooler Master MWE 650 Gold, as suggested by @Juular 

i figure these are the main things that will have to considered when choosing a case.

Also, i don't want to take out the GPU from the motherboard when moving the mobo to the new case. I know i'll have to detach the GPU from the case, but do you think it is possible to move the motherboard with the GPU still in place ?

That's all i want to know. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Links for Possible cases : ( i am on a budget, so the cheaper the better, but feel free to suggest what will guarantee a better environment for my PC )

http://www.czone.com.pk/casing-pakistan-ppt.168.aspx

https://www.shingpoint.com.pk/pc-casing-in-pakistan

https://www.eezepc.com/product-category/casings/?orderby=price

https://www.techglobe.pk/gaming/pc-casing

https://www.ishopping.pk/electronics/laptops-computers/accessories/laptop-and-pc-accessories/cover.html?dir=asc&order=price

No, you will have to remove the video card.

The reason is because it would be much easier to insert the motherboard into the new case at an angle, so that the connectors on the IO shield, will "slide" in the holes of the IO shield.

So if you insert the motherboard at an angle, the bracket of the video card will hit the case and it won't work.

Removing the video card is easy... there's a locking mechanism at the bottom of the pci-e slot, you usually have to pull some lever to the side, or up/down to release the card from the slot. Then, you can simply lift the video card from the slot. 

So basically:

Remove IO shield that comes with the new case

Put the IO shield that came with the motherboard on the new case

Look at the standoffs on the case and remove any standoffs for which there are no holes on the motherboard (if some standoffs are outside the area used by motherboard, you can leave them on the case).

Depending on the case, you may want to route the front panel audio connector cable first, so that it comes out near the front panel audio header. Same for the EPS 8 pin cpu cable, or 4 pin cpu cable, if the space is really tight on top, between motherboard and case.

image.png.ca39f6cc4e1769d9cc1a5bb3aa2257c0.png

48 minutes ago, Yaxir said:

do you think it is possible to move the motherboard with the GPU still in place ?

If you want to risk breaking the GPU's PCI-e connector then sure, otherwise i highly recommend against that.

For the case : CM 590 III, Corsair SPEC-01 or CM NR600, TT J24 if you're willing to go for more modern look for extra price.

Side note, looking at this entry for CM MWE Gold it's fucking amusing, MWE Gold in title, product picture for VSM Gold (which is better), description for possibly MWE Bronze (which is somewhat worse) and overview for MWE 80+ (which is way worse), what the fuck ? What they're selling even ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, Juular said:

If you want to risk breaking the GPU's PCI-e connector then sure, otherwise i highly recommend against that.

For the case : CM 590 III, Corsair SPEC-01 or CM NR600, TT J24 if you're willing to go for more modern look for extra price.

Side note, looking at this entry for CM MWE Gold it's fucking amusing, MWE Gold in title, product picture for VSM Gold (which is better), description for possibly MWE Bronze (which is somewhat worse) and overview for MWE 80+ (which is way worse), what the fuck ? What they're selling even ?

thanks for the detailed response mate !

i'll remove the GPU. i just freak out over the thought of damaging stuff

P.S : that Power Supply picture you're talking about, thats most probably poor organization. don't worry, i'll check the box before i buy ? 

@Juular btw, you think its alright for someone like me to change PSU and Casing ? considering i've never done it before ?

anything in particular i should look out for ?

1 hour ago, Yaxir said:

@Juular btw, you think its alright for someone like me to change PSU and Casing ? considering i've never done it before ?

Just remember to be careful, in most cases you don't need to use a lot of force.

And for the love of god read the manuals.

1 hour ago, Yaxir said:

I think you'll be fine (indicator on that is you being sensible enough not to plunge into it but ask for opinions and help here first).

Justz make sure you have (or download) the motherboard manual; it will help reconnecting the smaller connectors loke reset, on/off switch and hdd led.

Dont be in a hurry, take it one step at a time; when in doubt, just take pictures and ask here, ton of experienced and helpfull people here :) (this is assuming you have acess to the forums once pc is disassembled ?)

Safety first: power off and disconnect from mains before openjng/working on things; and just DONTget curious and open your old psu once removed to see whats inside (psu internals are dangerous). Stick to that and youll be fine.

The one thing you might encounter (not always) is the 24pin connector psu to mainboard; it ussually has a clip but even with clip pressed open sometimes its stuck in there and wont come out easily; it then takes a bit of wigling to get it out, nothing much to worry about but if inexperienced it can make you sweat as a bit of (gentle) force might be needed.

Should both old and new psus be modular:  make sure to use the cables that come with the new one (dont mix em).

Enjoy the process!