High Refresh Rate monitors not worth it in the long run?

Hey,

I saw an article on notebookcheck.com that was talking about the value of high Refresh monitors.

Overall, in some cases the article suggested that in may in a better idea for people who intend to keep hardware for longer and who initially are buying on a budget. The reasoning is that whilst on the day of purchase a gaming rig will be able to play current games at high frames, in 2+years time that hardware may not be able to keep up and you'll have to adjust back to lower frames /refresh. 

As I am looking to purchase my first gaming rig (laptop) for which opportunities for upgraded will be pretty slim I wanted to ask what this forum thought of this reasoning?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Are-high-refresh-rate-displays-worth-your-money.450053.0.html

refresh rate has nothing to do with longevity, they're just better to use because they're smoother

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

7 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If gaming was the only thing you did on the computer? That might make sense. But in my case, I don't just play games or the games I play aren't always demanding and the high refresh rate is nice elsewhere.

Aye, hence the trend we're seeing in phones towards 90hz over 60. Even for nongaming uses, smooth is nice.

For gaming it really just depends on personal taste as with anything. With OP doing a laptop, if the goal is spending $1500 on a laptop and the user wants to play AAA titles as they release, probably not going to get much gaming-side use of the high refresh rate unless the user wants to sacrifice in graphics settings. For people more into esports stuff, playing a mix of new/old, or even just being in a higher pricing bracket where the hardware could theoretically keep up with doing AAA at high fps longer, the higher refresh rate can have a lot more longevity. I don't think there's much of a wrong answer, so much as just personal preference and values.

Its just how things work with a laptop, you kinda stuck with it.

In PC if theres more demanding game, you just swap the GPU.

High refresh monitors is nice to have if you only games, and if you can afford the premium.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Still using an old gpu and a high refresh rate monitor. I just turn down the settings. Thus it’s just like the day I got it all minus some details. But I’ll take the frames any day. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz