What makes a 2080 Ti so expensive??

GamerBlake

Is there something in the manufacturing process or material or parts that make a 2080 Ti cost over $1,000?

I noticed there is a huge gap in the price between a 2070/2070 Super and a 2080 Ti.

But what is the reason for it?

Is Nvidia just charging as much as they can? Or is there something about it that it super expensive to make them?

All I can think is that the 11GB of GDDR6 vram is more than the other models have but even the 1660 Ti has GDDR6 vram.

Or maybe they number of cores?

This is just a curiosity question. I know even the 1080 Ti wasn’t over $1,000 so I’m curious why the next generation 2080 Ti is.

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

2080Ti is more of a rebranded Titan. It has huge amount power in it.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

It has no competition, therefore the price is super high. It doesn't cost an insane amount to make, it's just what they can get away with.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, GamerBlake said:

Is there something in the manufacturing process or material or parts that make a 2080 Ti cost over $1,000?

I noticed there is a huge gap in the price between a 2070/2070 Super and a 2080 Ti.

But what is the reason for it?

Is Nvidia just charging as much as they can? Or is there something about it that it super expensive to make them?

All I can think is that the 11GB of GDDR6 vram is more than the other models have but even the 1660 Ti has GDDR6 vram.

Or maybe they number of cores?

This is just a curiosity question. I know even the 1080 Ti wasn’t over $1,000 so I’m curious why the next generation 2080 Ti is.

Before all the butt hurt people flock in saying its just NVIDIA charging extra as their defence for not being able to afford one. You have to remember peoples only metric is previous gen cost. This doesn't factor cost of R&D, production, marketing, projection of sales etc.. NVIDIA stated that their rtx cores had been in development 10years. So that is 10years of research there. Then they launched at a time when ram prices were 3 times what they are now. They had to buy sufficient stock or yields to make it worth investing in.

If you go back to 2006 the 8800gtx ultra cost $899.. That was 14 years ago.. Adjust that for inflation and you'll see it wasn't cheaper.

Plus everyone gives NVIDIA a hard time. Yet AMD release the vega 7, it performs the same as a 2080, costs the same.. And yet NVIDIA rip people off. Surely if amd could have made it cheaper to sell more they would have done...

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

It has no competition, therefore the price is super high. It doesn't cost an insane amount to make, it's just what they can get away with.

How much does it cost then? As you know more than the average consumer. Also what was the development cost?? Shed some light please so we can use the data to work out how much profit they're making!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

1 minute ago, Badger906 said:

Before all the butt hurt people flock in saying its just NVIDIA charging extra as their defence for not being able to afford one. You have to remember peoples only metric is previous gen cost. This doesn't factor cost of R&D, production, marketing, projection of sales etc.. NVIDIA stated that their rtx cores had been in development 10years. So that is 10years of research there. Then they launched at a time when ram prices were 3 times what they are now. They had to buy sufficient stock or yields to make it worth investing in.

If you go back to 2006 the 8800gtx ultra cost $899.. That was 14 years ago.. Adjust that for inflation and you'll see it wasn't cheaper.

Plus everyone gives NVIDIA a hard time. Yet AMD release the vega 7, it performs the same as a 2080, costs the same.. And yet NVIDIA rip people off. Surely if amd could have made it cheaper to sell more they would have done...

Pretty much a combination oft this 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Just now, Badger906 said:

How much does it cost then? As you know more than the average consumer. Also what was the development cost?? Shed some light please so we can use the data to work out how much profit they're making!

Chill bro!

It costs not much more than making a non ti or a 2070 thats the point he wanted to make. R&D cost you have to see combined for the whole generation of cards for one barand.

But the MARGIN is waaaaaay up on that 2080ti. And thats the usual cost for "the big boy" + they can charge more because they have no competition. We have seen this on the CPU market to.

3 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

So basically they’re not trying to rip people off they’re just trying to recoup the R&D and make some profit?

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

Chill bro!

It costs not much more than making a non ti or a 2070 thats the point he wanted to make. R&D cost you have to see combined for the whole generation of cards for one barand.

But the MARGIN is waaaaaay up on that 2080ti. And thats the usual cost for "the big boy" + they can charge more because they have no competition. We have seen this on the CPU market to.

I did notice it was HUGE.

It takes up almost 3 full slots (2.75) so I’m curious what it is that makes it so huge? Do they cram more stuff in?

I know the heatsink and fans are taking up a lot of space but even the barebones looking FE 2080 Ti is a monster in size.

CE2EABED-CC28-49F0-9B80-6D04AA2C33FD.jpeg

So basically they’re not trying to rip people off they’re just trying to recoup the R&D and make some profit?

they are doing both. 

Super low end is only possible because of higher cost parts. The margins are tight.

Middle of the road is where the big $$ comes in

High end is much more $$ revenue per sold unit but since there are not that much sales compared to mid level cards... mid level still earns you more.

In gerenall i am pretty sure they could make the card cheaper by a good amount, but wont because the CAN charge that much. I mean 2080tis are still sold good.

@Badger906 got one according to his profile and I bet it games NICE

1 minute ago, GamerBlake said:

In short yeah. The target sales for it are much lower due to its cost. So that has an effect.

Think of it as a car. A ferrari costs 250k, it doesn't have 250k worth of carbon fibre in it, nor does its engine cost that much.

But they'll have spent a few hundred million designing it and testing it. They may only predict to sell 1000 models. So the cost of R&D, production, advertisement, testing, legal fees etc etc have to be divided by those predicted sales. Then slap on a mark up fee for profits

7 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

So basically it’s because it’s at the bleeding edge of technology and all that development and research costs sunk into making it requires a hefty price tag?

I did notice it was HUGE.

It takes up almost 3 full slots (2.75) so I’m curious what it is that makes it so huge? Do they cram more stuff in?

I know the heatsink and fans are taking up a lot of space but even the barebones looking FE 2080 Ti is a monster in size.

How big it is is down to EVGA in your case, not Nvidia. Thats because this card is build to OC and with a proper OC can draw serious power

Part of it is that the 2080 Ti by itself is an expensive part to make. Firstly, the cost per transistor has sort of flat-lined once we hit 28nm. The 2080 Ti is a 18.6 billion transistor part, compared to say the 13.6 billion of the 2070/2080 and the 12 billion of the 1080 Ti, or by comparison, the 10 billion transistor RX 5700 XT.

The second part is that the chip itself is relatively huge, so there's going to be less yield per wafer compared to a smaller chip. If I use https://caly-technologies.com/die-yield-calculator/ and plug in just the area of the die (I'm using a square root because they want H x W and I don't have this) on a 450mm wafer, leaving the rest alone, I get about 81 good chips, 83 bad chips, and 16 partial chips (basically bad chips). If I do the same thing on the Radeon 5700 XT, I end up with 422 good chips, 118 bad chips, and 16 partial chips.

These two factors have to be made up somehow. NVIDIA isn't going to sell hardware at a loss.

10 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

I have as much insight as you so your point is moot

all I have to go on are what people in the industry say, and people like Steve from Gamers Nexus (who does in fact have knowledge of some of the production costs and development from industry contacts) says nvidia makes big margins on the 2080 ti.

And besides, think about it the other way around. If the 2080 ti released and had to compete with something, it would be dead in the water if the price was exorbitantly high. Instead, you had the 2080 matching the 1080 ti in both price and performance, despite the "R&D cost" driving the supposed pricing of manufacturing up.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Badger906 said:

In short yeah. The target sales for it are much lower due to its cost. So that has an effect.

Think of it as a car. A ferrari costs 250k, it doesn't have 250k worth of carbon fibre in it, nor does its engine cost that much.

But they'll have spent a few hundred million designing it and testing it. They may only predict to sell 1000 models. So the cost of R&D, production, advertisement, testing, legal fees etc etc have to be divided by those predicted sales. Then slap on a mark up fee for profits

+ a markup for the brand. But thats normal. Especially in the car business, but also true in hardware

they are doing both. 

Super low end is only possible because of higher cost parts. The margins are tight.

Middle of the road is where the big $$ comes in

High end is much more $$ revenue per sold unit but since there are not that much sales compared to mid level cards... mid level still earns you more.

In gerenall i am pretty sure they could make the card cheaper by a good amount, but wont because the CAN charge that much. I mean 2080tis are still sold good.

@Badger906 got one according to his profile and I bet it games NICE

I have one too (an EVGA XC2 Ultra 2080 Ti) but it just doesn’t make sense to overprice it and sell less of them than to cut the cost and sell more of them.

If they sold say 100 of them at $900 each they would make more than if they sold 50 of them at $1200.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Part of it is that the 2080 Ti by itself is an expensive part to make. Firstly, the cost per transistor has sort of flat-lined once we hit 28nm. The 2080 Ti is a 18.6 billion transistor part, compared to say the 13.6 billion of the 2070/2080 and the 12 billion of the 1080 Ti, or by comparison, the 10 billion transistor RX 5700 XT.

The second part is that the chip itself is relatively huge, so there's going to be less yield per wafer compared to a smaller chip. If I use https://caly-technologies.com/die-yield-calculator/ and plug in just the area of the die (I'm using a square root because they want H x W and I don't have this) on a 450mm wafer, leaving the rest alone, I get about 81 good chips, 83 bad chips, and 16 partial chips (basically bad chips). If I do the same thing on the Radeon 5700 XT, I end up with 422 good chips, 118 bad chips, and 16 partial chips.

These two factors have to be made up somehow. NVIDIA isn't going to sell hardware at a loss.

yes that is true! But still there is an extra tax added for it being the fastest and being without competition at the top of the stack (at the moment... lets see and hope for the rad guys)

It is a premium NVidia product. Even their low-mid grade GPU's are overpriced. 

I am not a big fan of their business practices in general...

3 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

n gerenall i am pretty sure they could make the card cheaper by a good amount, but wont because the CAN charge that much. I mean 2080tis are still sold good.

Also then they'd start cannibalizing the sales on their mid-high range cards that make more money due to a higher volume sold. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, GamerBlake said:

I have one too (an EVGA XC2 Ultra 2080 Ti) but it just doesn’t make sense to overprice it and sell less of them than to cut the cost and sell more of them.

If they sold say 100 of them at $900 each they would make more than if they sold 50 of them at $1200.

This is also about establishing price points!

Think about apple iPhone X was one of the first units for over 1k$ that sold in big volume. Now were used to 1k phones at the top end 

1 minute ago, steelo said:

It is a premium NVidia product. Even their low-mid grade GPU's are overpriced. 

I am not a big fan of their business practices in general...

lol me to. But sadly thats true to SOOOOOOO Manny things and brands and basically how our markets work.

Dimishing returns for your $$

yes that is true! But still there is an extra tax added for it being the fastest and being without competition at the top of the stack (at the moment... lets see and hope for the rad guys)

Ultimately though, the 2080 Ti is a premium part. It's the creme de la creme. I feel like complaining that the 2080 Ti is too expensive is like complaining a Porche or a Mercedes is too expensive.

2 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

But think of it this way..

If you were Ferrari would you want to sell 1000 models at $250K each ($2.5 million).

OR 3000 models at say $200K each?

The lower the price the more buyers there are.

It seems like a lot more people bought 1080 Tis and 980 Tis because once they crossed that $1,000 mark it seems to have turned people off and sent them looking for something else like a 5700 XT or 2080 Super.

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Also then they'd start cannibalizing the sales on their mid-high range cards that make more money due to a higher volume sold. 

yes!