For $400 RTX 2070 OR RTX 2060 Super?

Op Point Baker

Looking to upgrade from a Asus GTX 970. Can't decide on a Gigabyte RTX 2070

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-gv-n2070wf2-8gd-rev-3-0/p/N82E16814932226

or a Zotac 2060 Super. 

https://www.newegg.com/zotac-geforce-rtx-2060-super-zt-t20610e-10m/p/N82E16814500471

No plans on overclocking or custom cooling. Just using it stock, out of the box. Usage will be purely for gaming.

It's going into a system with 

Ryzen 7 3700

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 CAS 16

Asrock X570 Taichi

HP EX950 M.2 512GB

Windows 10

Cooler Master HAF XB Evo

Seasonic Prime Ultra 650 Platinum

Asus VG248QG

You're thoughts?

the 2070. it's not only better in general over the 2060 super, but also the gigabyte windforce version is better than the zotac mini, as long as it fits in your case

The RTX 2070, have more RT OPS and better performance.

I don’t recommend buying AMD Graphic card because not all games take advantage of it

6 minutes ago, PRONOOB895 said:

I don’t recommend buying AMD Graphic card because not all games take advantage of it

what?

6 minutes ago, PRONOOB895 said:

What does that mean?  Not all games take advantage of an AMD video card?  

2070 is generally little better than the 2060s. Thats the way Nvidia did it to prevent lower tier card performs better than higher tier one

Neither...I'd get the best gtx series used from fleabay...look for a factory overclocked model...saw a 1080 Ti FTW3 last week for $440 delivered.

15 minutes ago, PRONOOB895 said:

Same can be said for Nvidia.  There are reasons to use Nvidia over AMD but it’s not really gaming as far as I can tell.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

24 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Hello,

If you want to consider AMD for GPU too you have this https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-5700-xt-gv-r57xtgaming-oc-8gd/p/N82E16814932208?Description=5700 xt&cm_re=5700_xt-_-14-932-208-_-Product same price and perform better :) 

not really don't just be an AMD fanboy (no offense) because the drivers are shit, the performance are meh, bad encoder if u wanna record/stream, no rtx functionality, and gigabyte has meh warranty.

5 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

not really don't just be an AMD fanboy (no offense) because the drivers are shit, the performance are meh, bad encoder if u wanna record/stream, no rtx functionality, and gigabyte has meh warranty.

Rtx huh?  Dueling fanboys?  I’m not sure I want to watch.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

33 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

what?

The unreal engine games have the trend for working better in Nvidia. That’s why if he going to play that games is better Nvidia cards

18 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

Yeah I'm an AMD fanboy with an Intel CPU.

RTX on this generation is still new that it's not even worth it especially for gaming.

GIgabyte has a 4 years warranty, the same as most big brands for this kind of hardware.

He will use a 3700x so he doesn't really need the GPU encoder to do that properly.

In general the 5700XT performs better than the 2070 and 2060S so yes for the exact same price, AMD makes sense.

48 minutes ago, PRONOOB895 said:

The unreal engine games have the trend for working better in Nvidia. That’s why if he going to play that games is better Nvidia cards

Well, I do play a lot of Satisfactory... 

I hadn't heard of appreciable differences between AMD & nVidia when it came to UE. Is there good evidence of that?

1 hour ago, redbread123 said:

1. Drivers are not shit, there have been stress tests with the all of the newest graphic cards from nvidia and amd (only gaming graphics cards) and AMD drivers failed 20 times less than NVidia (4h stress test, 6 times a day, 7 days long - multiple gpus for a total of about 500 tests)

2. Performance is meh? My Vega 64 is better than a 1080 (head to head with 1080 Ti) and a bit better than the 2070 my friend has

3. Bad encoder? Didn't test that but recording works better for me than with nVidia (i dont record much though)

4. No RTX? Tell me which games you play that actually have raytracing and where you would notice a difference?

5. Gigabyte warranty doesn't have anything to do with AMD quality wtf

re: AMD vs nvidia argument

Oh look! A squirrel!

Edited by Bombastinator
Derp

I'm gonna be completely objective here:

AMD Pros:

• You are going for a x570 chipset, it has PCIE 4.0. RX 5700 and 5700xt versions work slightly (super slightly) better than 3.0. Supposedly over time they should work even better
  • You get a better product for the price

AMD Cons:

• At the current date, a lot of people have driver issues with their cards. A lot have not. Depends on your luck

NVIDIA Pros:

• Stuff works out of the box 

NVIDIA Cons:

• The reality is that RTX games can be counted with the fingers of your hands. Properly optimized ones are even less. RTX is not a standard today, and it won't be for the next year at least. So the promised technology is just meh.
  • They are quite more expensive

You should balance this before choosing. Besides that, in the Gigabyte vs Zotac game, go Gigabyte. Windforce cards work really nice as said above

1 hour ago, Weinrib said:

AMD Pros:

• You are going for a x570 chipset, it has PCIE 4.0. RX 5700 and 5700xt versions work slightly (super slightly) better than 3.0. Supposedly over time they should work even better

AMD Cons:

• At the current date, a lot of people have driver issues with their cards. A lot have not. Depends on your luck

NVIDIA Pros:

NVIDIA Cons:

• The reality is that RTX games can be counted with the fingers of your hands. Properly optimized ones are even less. RTX is not a standard today, and it won't be for the next year at least. So the promised technology is just meh.

You should balance this before choosing. Besides that, in the Gigabyte vs Zotac game, go Gigabyte. Windforce cards work really nice as said above

I would add that there are a couple uses Nvidia card have over AMD, but they are very specific and have nothing to do with gaming.  If you need 12 bit color for art stuff, or if you want to stream games, Nvidia has use over and above their raw FLOP count bs AMD.  I personally would say that I suspect the current value of RTX to remain near zero in the future as well.  RtX was always more of a “look this can exist” thing than something that was actually useful.  It’s only a suspicion though.  Can’t be counted on.

4 hours ago, boggy77 said:

what?

He got it flip flopped and meant RTX Ray tracing ?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 hours ago, Weinrib said:

AMD Pros:

AMD Cons:

NVIDIA Pros:

NVIDIA Cons:

Left out NVENC. Otherwise I agree

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x