Is it safe to use SATA Power Y-splitter?

Ryksa
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

As long as the HDDs aren't pulling a combined total of 4.5A @ 12V and 4.5V @ 5V, it's fine. You should be able to find the power draw rating on the HDD's label.

Hello!

My PSU has only 3 SATA connectors, but I would like to use another HDD I plan to buy. I ordered the Y-splitter you can see on the picture under. Is it safe to split one port into two and connect into two different HDD?ű

Thanks for the help.

s-l1600.jpg

Just now, Ryksa said:

Thanks for the help.

I've done it on a server that was lacking in sata power, but the system has 1200 watts of dual redundant power supplies.

So far it's held up, but I've read real horror stories as well about systems catching fire with cheap splitters...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I've done it on a server that was lacking in sata power, but the system has 1200 watts of dual redundant power supplies.

So far it's held up, but I've read real horror stories as well about systems catching fire with cheap splitters...

Yeah, I heard those ones too, but only about Molex to SATA, which have different maximum Watt usage. Luckily, I do not use any Molex cable in my PC.

1 minute ago, Ryksa said:

Yeah, I heard those ones too, but only about Molex to SATA, I do not use any Molex cable in my PC.

you should be fine tbh

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ?