How do you even cool this thing - i9-10990XE + 10th gen i3/i5 spotted

williamcll
1 hour ago, mr moose said:

They are prebuilt systems, they are not bought by people who intend to upgrade them in the future.

But muh same-socket-half-generational CPU upgrades ?.

I came across a news source that is really dubious regarding a xeon "W-3375X"

Spoiler

20200115_212158_714.jpg

20200115_212347_699.jpg

Honestly it looks photoshopped since reverse image search shows me this thread: https://forums.evga.com/Just-another-day-in-OC-Lab-m2957680.aspx

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

• 3 weeks later...

This whole thing speaks to definition of terms within use case there is office use case and there is game use case.  A lot of stuff specced  for office use case which might be fine for office would be considered “shit” for game use.   It reminds me of this game of German “top trumps” my step brother had in the 80’s for mini cars.  There were a bunch of different specs and the cards that were good at one thing were bad at another.  A lot of gaming specced stuff is “shit” for office work because it is expensive and drains huge amounts of power for no work load gain.  Prebuilts are built by engineers.  The trick with bridge building is not making a bridge that stands up, its making a bridge that barely stands up, because the barely stands one is cheaper to build and lasts just as well.  The problem is not that the word “shit” is wrong so much as it’s an overly general term.  Gaming machines are white boxes slapped together by hobbyists that aren’t doing load limit math.  One can make a machine capable of handling load but more slop is needed.   This is seen a lot in PSUs. How much PSU does a machine need is a question that gets a lot of vague answers.   It’s a question that CAN be answered quite accurately if the load limits are known.  With gaming home built a though load limit can vary a lot, and if it’s exceeded, boom, so slop is built in.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.