3800x low cpu usage when gaming.

cadd

So I just got a R7 3800x yesterday with the intent of gaming and streaming on it, and I'm currently learning how to overclock Ryzen as it's much more complex than intel which is all I've had experience with. Now, I'm currently running a 4.2ghz stable oc on 1.2875v with .95v SOC, PBO enabled.

I've noticed that when doing stability tests and benchmarks, the temps go super high, which makes sense because all cores are being maxed out. Running CR15 I hit about 95c max. However, when I'm gaming It's a completely different story. The temps don't go over 60c with any games and the usage is usually around 20-30%. Now I know games aren't nearly as optimized for multi-threaded performance as benchmarks but this doesn't seem correct. My fps improved by about 25% just by disabling c-states alone. In Ryzen master, my individual cores flucuate from 3.2.3.9 ghz when gaming which also doesn't really make sense to me. I apologize if this is normal and I'm just ingorant but I am a ryzen newbie coming from the simplicity of intel, so I'd appreciate any advice and information you could give me. thanks.

8700k/1070ti/16gb ram

when gaming, the cpu needs to process the frames that the gpu manages to push. if your gpu can only do let's say 90fps and it's at 100% utilisation, the cpu will only have to process those 90 frames, which might be easy and thus only be 20-30% utilised. if both your cpu and gpu utilisations are low, then you have a problem. otherwise, it's normal. your system's performance is limited by your gpu (i would say bottlenecked, but I hate that word and the fear it spreads)

Just now, boggy77 said:

when gaming, the cpu needs to process the frames that the gpu manages to push. if your gpu can only do let's say 90fps and it's at 100% utilisation, the cpu will only have to process those 90 frames, which might be easy and thus only be 20-30% utilised. if both your cpu and gpu utilisations are low, then you have a problem. otherwise, it's normal. your system's performance is limited by your gpu (i would say bottlenecked, but I hate that word and the fear it spreads)

It's not. I have a 2080 super that is relaxing at 54c, not even having to reach max clock to keep up.

8700k/1070ti/16gb ram

2 minutes ago, cadd said:

It's not. I have a 2080 super that is relaxing at 54c, not even having to reach max clock to keep up.

So you're not getting enough fps?

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

15 minutes ago, cadd said:

So I just got a R7 3800x yesterday with the intent of gaming and streaming on it, and I'm currently learning how to overclock Ryzen as it's much more complex than intel which is all I've had experience with. Now, I'm currently running a 4.2ghz stable oc on 1.2875v with .95v SOC, PBO enabled.

I've noticed that when doing stability tests and benchmarks, the temps go super high, which makes sense because all cores are being maxed out. Running CR15 I hit about 95c max. However, when I'm gaming It's a completely different story. The temps don't go over 60c with any games and the usage is usually around 20-30%. Now I know games aren't nearly as optimized for multi-threaded performance as benchmarks but this doesn't seem correct. My fps improved by about 25% just by disabling c-states alone. In Ryzen master, my individual cores flucuate from 3.2.3.9 ghz when gaming which also doesn't really make sense to me. I apologize if this is normal and I'm just ingorant but I am a ryzen newbie coming from the simplicity of intel, so I'd appreciate any advice and information you could give me. thanks.

Considering you’ve got a 1050 your cpu is doing basically nothing. It’s to be expected.

Just now, The Torrent said:

Considering you’ve got a 1050 your cpu is doing basically nothing. It’s to be expected.

Where in the heck did you read that?

9 minutes ago, cadd said:

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

Wtf did you even bother to read the thread? I have a 2080 super lol.

Also no, I'm getting around 60-70 fps on stock compared to when I was getting 80-90 with my oc and c-states disabled.

8700k/1070ti/16gb ram

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

What games are you running? Some games can't issue enough active threads on average to saturate a 16 thread capable CPU.

Fortnite, overwatch, escape from tarkov mainly. And some VR here and there

8700k/1070ti/16gb ram

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Where in the heck did you read that?

Says on his profile

2 minutes ago, cadd said:

Wtf did you even bother to read the thread? I have a 2080 super lol.

Also no, I'm getting around 60-70 fps on stock compared to when I was getting 80-90 with my oc and c-states disabled.

Oh I didn’t read the posts no saw no reason to. I read your original post then I checked your profile as you didn’t stage gpu. I apologise for my mistake.

Oh I didn’t read the posts no saw no reason to. I read your original post then I checked your profile as you didn’t stage gpu. I apologise for my mistake.

Since it was (and is at posting of this message) is still like that on his profile you can share the blame a little between youz. :P

Is your fps locked? If your getting good fps this shouldn’t be a problem at all. What is utilisation of gpu? 100 percent and it’s fine.

maybe it’s just using a few cores whatever game you are playing, check per core on cpu in task manager

VR will not use much of your cpu, what mobo do you have and do you have latest bios? If not definitely flash it

Is your fps locked? If your getting good fps this shouldn’t be a problem at all. What is utilisation of gpu? 100 percent and it’s fine.

maybe it’s just using a few cores whatever game you are playing, check per core on cpu in task manager

fps is not locked. I checked per core usage and only a few cores are being taxed but still nothign more than 80%, its not like they're being maxed out.

Like I said gpu utilization is very low and it isn't even reaching max clock to keep up with the cpu.

8700k/1070ti/16gb ram

4 minutes ago, cadd said:

fps is not locked. I checked per core usage and only a few cores are being taxed but still nothign more than 80%, its not like they're being maxed out.

Like I said gpu utilization is very low and it isn't even reaching max clock to keep up with the cpu.

You said you were getting 90 fps but in what game?

12 minutes ago, Lakobrija said:

VR will not use much of your cpu, what mobo do you have and do you have latest bios? If not definitely flash it

Flashed bios this morning so its latest

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

You said you were getting 90 fps but in what game?

that was in escape from tarkov, fortnite my fps dips to 130 in the lobby when there are lots of people, and 150 in cities which is unacceptable for this build, considering my 9700k build is consistent 300fps on the same settings.

8700k/1070ti/16gb ram

I am not sure what is going on buy your OC's seem really low for a 3800X so I have to wonder if that has something to do with it or maybe you got a bad CPU.  My 3800X easily hits 4.5 Ghz all core and if I leave well enough alone and keep it stock, it will max boost 3 cores into the 4.543 Ghz range and none lower than 4.441 Ghz.  For gaming, I end up getting better FPS just leaving it alone than doing the all core OC.  I might have hit the silicon lottery with mine but 4.2 Ghz seems more in line with what I would expect from a 3700X, not a 3800X.

Did you set your RAM speeds?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

More cores, more clocks, best GPU in town equals more speed? Okay, it's not wrong, but truth would be that it depends.

Your CPU may have a TDP-restriction and by OCing it, especially with additional voltages, you are making things worse, not better. Not really getting more than 3.9ghz out of it should raise flags all over.

Then you use 8c/16t on games which may utilize 4 to 8 cores usually, while the threads move between the logical units of the cpu. Try it with SMT disabled, maybe give it a try to just run 6 of the 8 cores.

And yes, I didn't read the sig, I fell asleep halfway.