Your own GeForce now?

The Torrent

If I have a spare pc in my house and my mate has a shitty laptop how can I set up a GeForce now type of interface so he can connect and play some games.

ik teamviewer etc. But that seems clunky and a lot of latency to me unless that’s the same as any other way.

im thinking some out of thing u know like steam link u can use to stream ur pc onto ur phone like thwt but not for local.

or any other assorted computer remote control low latency service that allows all keyboard input.

thanks

Unless you have insane upload speeds it would end up being trash. Lend him your PC instead...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

Unless you have insane upload speeds it would end up being trash.

Even with insane uploads that still wouldn't overcome the obvious latency penalty in even the best scenario and make it pretty much trash from that alone.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Actual user of GeForce now (the windows one) here- it’s still garbage. Game streaming isn’t ready, and I honestly think it never will be

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Unless you have insane upload speeds it would end up being trash. Lend him your PC instead...

About 50mbps upload so idk where that’s placed,

but what’s the best that is possible. which software has the least latency?

7 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

About 50mbps upload so idk where that’s placed,

but what’s the best that is possible. which software has the least latency?

Let's assume good conditions and you're wired end to end, no wireless in the mix. You're looking at probably around 50 to 100ms of latency from your home to his, assuming decent coax cables and that you're both on the same ISP, plus any overhead a remote client will introduce as well and you're probably looking somewhere in the neighborhood of 100ms to 200ms+ of latency at least. Toss in some bad connections, different ISPs for additional hops, high network load or wireless into the mix and that's going to go up like crazy.

This is all spitballing by me based on averages that I've seen and it could be lower or much much higher, it's hard to say.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Like @Kilrah said, unless you have a god-tier internet connection, it's not going to be playable.

The 3 real options are:

1. Lend the PC to your friend

2. Have your friend come over to your house to play.

3. Run a network cable (most likely needs to be fiber) from your house to your friends house. You need to reserve about 100 grand for this, if it's less than like a few miles

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

4 hours ago, The Torrent said:

If I have a spare pc in my house and my mate has a shitty laptop how can I set up a GeForce now type of interface so he can connect and play some games.

ik teamviewer etc. But that seems clunky and a lot of latency to me unless that’s the same as any other way.

im thinking some out of thing u know like steam link u can use to stream ur pc onto ur phone like thwt but not for local.

or any other assorted computer remote control low latency service that allows all keyboard input.

thanks

Actually steam has this function?

I'm not sure if it works for all games but I kinda think it should. It's like remote play on ps4 basically. 

I tried it recently with a friend who has shitty satellite connection and he complained a lot about lag - didn't stop him from beating me in a fighting game though haha. 

I guess the lag wouldn't be actually so bad with a normal Internet connection and I think people exaggerate the issue tbh.  I played fighting games with Japanese friends - so about 300ms ping,  and it worked just..   fine honestly? 

Just try it out on Steam! I'd say.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Actually steam has this function?

I'm not sure if it works for all games but I kinda think it should. It's like remote play on ps4 basically. 

I tried it recently with a friend who has shitty satellite connection and he complained a lot about lag - didn't stop him from beating me in a fighting game though haha. 

I guess the lag wouldn't be actually so bad with a normal Internet connection and I think people exaggerate the issue tbh.  I played fighting games with Japanese friends - so about 300ms ping,  and it worked just..   fine honestly? 

Just try it out on Steam! I'd say.

Steam can do it over wifi? I thought it was local only?

It is local only but you can create a vpn with things like hamachi so that 2 distant computers appear on the same network.

Note that you need to share your Steam credentials then, and can't play a Steam game while your friend does.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, The Torrent said:

Steam can do it over wifi? I thought it was local only?

I'm honestly not quite sure what you want to do but no, it's like PlayStation remote play - I just found it odd no one mentioned it. 

https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay

PS: seems to be multi-player only, but I don't quite understand why it wouldn't work for games that have both :thinking:

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

It is local only

Well this ^  isn't ?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Yeah but this is a different thing, it's only for games that have 2-player play on same PC, the 2nd player can be located remotely.

F@H

GPD Win 2

On 12/29/2019 at 2:04 PM, Mark Kaine said:

I'm honestly not quite sure what you want to do but no, it's like PlayStation remote play - I just found it odd no one mentioned it. 

https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay

PS: seems to be multi-player only, but I don't quite understand why it wouldn't work for games that have both :thinking:

Well this ^  isn't ?

So it works I found out if u both u and ur mate use them same IP address vpn then it tricks it.

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

So it works I found out if u both u and ur mate use them same IP address vpn then it tricks it.

Nice,  that's kinda what I figured. :)

So I'm curious though, what games did you try? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity