Windows Licenses Attached to Windows Login Account

Jimble

Am I right in thinking we can now attach our various Windows OS licenses (cica 2019) to our Windows Login and then port them to new machines when we decommission an old build and reinstall on a newer system? Seems to be working for me. Only thought about this after Linus' "Why we pirate windows video? (2018). This could be a really good FAQ and solution video maybe? Or am I totally wrong here?

I am not sure, but one day in the past, when i was putting together a rig with parts that were hanging here and there.

I installed windows, logged into my account and everything was running just fine.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Windows 10 has been billed as a "live service" "long term evolution" and a few other similar descriptors.

As such, yes, you can link your license(s) to your microsoft account to transfer between systems. There are some limitations on this however. I believe it can only be done a certain number of times, and OEM, VLSC or SI licenses are not transferable, full retail versions are.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Just now, Jimble said:

You believe or know Semper?

As stated above, Your license can be linked. That is fact.

Speculation is the number of times. I do not have a concrete answer for you on this matter.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

3 minutes ago, Jimble said:

So you don't know. Why are you posting? Speculation?

Objectively, I know that your license can be linked. I have directly addressed the context of your post. I have added additional information that you may find useful, and/or may encourage you to find out on your own.

This is not sufficient enough to satisfy your obviously superior intellect.

Please find your answer independent of my input.

Can you elaborate on "Objectively, I know your license can be linked", and give me some proper engineer (I know my shit) answers please? Step by step please. Thank you so much in advance. Good luck :)

42 minutes ago, Jimble said:

Can you elaborate on "Objectively, I know your license can be linked", and give me some proper engineer (I know my shit) answers please? Step by step please. Thank you so much in advance. Good luck :)

@Jimble you can find all the answers you seek in the following official Microsoft article.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Yes you can. If it refuses to activate there is a troubleshooter than allows you to activate through that, it deactivates your old machine's license. Do it enough and you'll have to contact Microsoft and explain why you've moved between machines so many times, but they'll usually do it for you. They obviously know if the old machines have been online or not so can tell they're not in use any more.

I have to reactivate if I swap my drive between 2 identical machines.

If you're not going to listen to people who take time to answer your question, you could instead search for it yourself and see that nobody really seems to know if/how multiple licenses on an account works, so any answer you get regarding that will be speculation. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Also note that this "tying to the account" is only for actual retail licenses you went and bought at $130 a pop, which... approximately nobody would do, especially with multiple of them on one account?

Nearly everyone is running on OEM licenses that are tied to the hardware and not the account.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

*** Thread locked ***

If you ask question, you should be happy to get any answers you can. You could do your own research on this, the subject has been discussed multiple times over the past few years both here and other places in the internet. Only actual facts you get directly from Microsoft. Everything else is based on user experience which can vary and is ofc incomplete.

We have standards for communication here, and you are needlessly belittling others who are trying to give you answers. Please take another look at

(In case you agreed on them without reading)

Generally speaking, as long as you stick to the following core principles you should not find yourself subject to disciplinary action:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

PS. OEM licenses can be transferred if they are linked to MS account. How many licenses can be tied to single account and it still works is unknown, mine are on two different accounts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv