Why are external HDD's so much cheaper than internal?

RejZoR

I was just looking for 5TB 2.5" drives for mass storage of random less important stuff, both from Seagate and both same capacity, internal is almost 170€ where external one is 99€. Would think external to be more expensive since it has extra case, extra PCB with USB controller and connector, cable and yet that's not the case. I'm almost at a point of buying external drive and cannibalizing its drive and then plugging it directly to PC via SATA (like they are connected inside external cases anyway) and saving 70€. They both seem to be 5400 RPM too, so what's the deal with that? 70€ difference is A LOT.

I think because most 2.5in internal HDDs are OEM and replacement parts so they sell at a premium while packing the same hardware.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

You can find similarly priced drives if you look.  What they slap into those external products are white label drives with mediocre specs they would need to list if sold as a regular internal drive.  But those drives they put into those external products can be found (or very similar) if you look.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Hmmmm it seems much harder to find a cheaper drive in the 2.5" range.  I've been looking at external and internal 3.5" drives and gave my opinions based off of my shopping experience.  Though after looking at 2.5" drives there is far less to be found.  And when I found the same drive they put into those external drives the internal drive was about $10 more.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

The actual drive in external drives are lower quality than internal type drives. Manufacturers justify this practice by saying external drives are not as heavily used as external drives. I've always preferred using internal type drives in external enclosures or docks, or in internal hot swap bays.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I've also realized all the big 2.5" drives are 15mm thick, meaning none of them would even fit into my toolless cages in Silverstone Kubla KL-07 case. I'll have to stick it into 3.5" bay.