As I get older, I get worse at games....

RecyclopsReveng3

Back when I was a teenager I was a LANing across the country playing Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Source, Unreal Tournament and Quake 4. I was an animal. I had professional Counter-Strike teams scouting me out. Now if I load up Counter-Strike I'm horrible. It's embarrassing. Am I the only one who's gaming ability degrades with time? I thought you were supposed to get better at these things with practice. 

[Intel i7 7700K 4.9GHz][Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz][EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 2100MHz][Samsung 970 Plus 1TB][Samsung Evo 850 1TB][ASUS Hero Maximus IX][EVGA Supernova 1000W G+][Rosewill Cullinan]

21 minutes ago, RecyclopsReveng3 said:

Am I the only one who's gaming ability degrades with time?

playing games degrades the person

less motivation

less social skills

but the manual dexterity increases, good for military

Just now, amdorintel said:

playing games degrades the person

less motivation

less social skills

but the manual dexterity increases, good for military

I guess I'll go join the military 

[Intel i7 7700K 4.9GHz][Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz][EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 2100MHz][Samsung 970 Plus 1TB][Samsung Evo 850 1TB][ASUS Hero Maximus IX][EVGA Supernova 1000W G+][Rosewill Cullinan]

Just now, RecyclopsReveng3 said:

I guess I'll go join the military 

you have to think about that, ptsd, little pay, no after service support

maybe if you play more often, you will get better or maybe you just matured

how old were you then and now

43 minutes ago, RecyclopsReveng3 said:

Back when I was a teenager I was a LANing across the country playing Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Source, Unreal Tournament and Quake 4. I was an animal. I had professional Counter-Strike teams scouting me out. Now if I load up Counter-Strike I'm horrible. It's embarrassing. Am I the only one who's gaming ability degrades with time? I thought you were supposed to get better at these things with practice. 

Better step up gaming skill mang. This grandpa is still living his life. Grandpa Gaming Youtube channel

42 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Better step up gaming skill mang. This grandpa is still living his life. Grandpa Gaming Youtube channel

"The 66-Year-Old Former Navy Diver And Cancer-Surviving Grandpa"

Hell yeah, good for him!

15 hours ago, RecyclopsReveng3 said:

I played a ton of Counter strike source and cod4 promod for fun. I did dabble in the ESEA client for promod but nothing too major. I also played quake 4 and quake live. 

Going back to any of those games im horrible at them now. 

Im only 28 years old and now i feel more comfortable in a slower more tactical shooter like Squad or Hell Let Loose. The only game i remotley play right now thats competitive is rainbow six siege. 

Back in ~2000 i was a CS Killing Maschine. Times are long gone. Its a normal thing ;)

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

On 12/23/2019 at 3:14 AM, Founders said:

Your reflexes and reaction time will degrade over time as you get older but you can still do plenty to offset that. 

That's true but I don't think it's that bad that you should notice it in games,  I didn't really get worse in games,  actually I keep getting better!   (for the most part lol)

The most important thing is : practice practice practice... 

Hundreds of hours... thousands... Know all tricks / situations /etc It's like a job basically! 

Kids generally have more time so it's easier for them (often) 

But wasn't for me, I kinda sucked at videogames as a kid. Except STEET FIGHTER!  Always on top in my neighborhood haha ;)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I got worse too but while getting older, I totally lost interest to game 8 hours a day... Life changes, interests change! I enjoy other things in gaming. 

On 12/23/2019 at 2:57 AM, RecyclopsReveng3 said:

I thought you were supposed to get better at these things with practice. 

Well how many hours per week do you play "Counter Strike"?

(it doesn't really sound like you practice at all,  once you stop playing you'll lose your skills fast in most games and basically have to start from scratch - the only thing you won't lose quickly is experience,  but that alone doesn't really help you much usually) 

PS: often in games where I want to be competitive, like a fighting game I will play at least once per day (1-2 hours)  even if I don't really feel like playing because I KNOW I will lose my skills fast if I don't play daily at least a bit... 

Sounds like work,  is kinda like work and the best thing is you don't get paid!  Awesome.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I too, have gotten old and inept at games. Back in my day, I was a gaming beast. On the Atari, I broke Breakout. I pounced on Pitfall. I got entire families of frogs over dangerous roads. On the Commodoe 64, Turrican and Karateka lay defeated at my feet. I even completed Jet Set Willy. On the Amiga, Zool, Speedball 2 and even Another World met their demise on my little 600. Then came the consoles. I smashed my way through the Playstation, Saturn and N64 libraries. The Dreamcast and Gamecube followed. MDK2 and Ikuraga put up a fight, but I beat them both in the end. Then came the second wave of adulthood, and gaming was reduced to bouts of Ultima Online and Guild Wars 1, until eventually life pulled me away from games.

I made a triumphant return this last few years with the advent of Steam and Proton on Linux, and played a cute, simple easy looking platformer called Hollow Knight. It looked so cute, so simple, so easy. Just a jump here and a swipe there, right? Lordy, it chewed me up and spat me out, over and over again. As I lay dead under my desk, beaten by Hornet for the 17th time, I realised this is exactly how Grand Vizier Jaffar must have felt after my 17th playthrough of Prince of Persia. 

My gaming ability didn't just fade with age and lack of practice. It was taken out back and shot. 

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

Aging has slowly taken away my skills in shooters. Reaction time is not what it was. Tom Clancy's Rogue Spear my skill peaked (giving up my age). Black Hawk Down i started to notice the decline. Since then my career has restricted most of my gaming to just weekends, that has something to do with it. Ive been playing the DayZ map, more survival than shooter. World of Warships would be more my speed, but its very grindy and dont have that time and dont want to spend a lot of money on a 'free' game.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R