Is there any workflow for which you MUST use an Intel CPU?

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,
10 minutes ago, quiet_thinker said:

But doesn't that mean that there might exist applications utilizing those instructions and in turn requiring you to use Intel? How does AMD deal with the lack of those? Does the difference result only in performance loss?

In the home market, no. Anybody targeting an application to the masses will target as many instruction sets as possible to make the app as compatible as possible.

In business, very much yes. There are scientific applications which rely on AVX512 and as such will only work on high end Intel CPUs but those are incredibly niche. You're talking universities and large scale scientific organisations, the type of places that will probably have super computers in the basement. Insane simulation, protein folding, the kind of stuff scientists do but us at home will never do. In fact most of this kind of stuff would probably be custom written code specifically for the purpose.

Hi Guys,

I got in a bit of a discussion with my friend regarding the new Mac Pro, based on an article showing that the low end configurations are bad-value.

One of the differences regarding a set-up that this site used to show this difference - was a use of a Threadripper CPU.

Because of that, my friend said that it is not fair as there are technical differences in how these CPUs work.

Now, I know that is true. These CPUs do operate a bit differently from each other.

What I don't know and what I can't find on the web is - are there any real-world workflows that require you to use an Intel CPU?

Basically - can you say AMD = Intel in terms of possibilities, or are there specific workflows for which you simply can't use an AMD CPU?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

No, just stuff that performs worse on AMD.

Unless you make some program yourself that requires the use of quicksync, in which case you wouldn't be able to use an AMD CPU.

But all programs out there that use quicksync can work without it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Must ? No. Where Intel will have some upper ground ? Yes, anything that relies on ST performance mostly, like gaming, Adobe CC software (all of it, even Premiere), CAD, 3D modeling, possibly some software that relies on RAM performance heavily since Zen 2 are still a bit slow on this side. But all this might change with the next generations.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

the new threadrippers are so fast on single thread performance, they are comparable with not overclocked intel chips. Same goes for the Ryzen chips. Intel does have more overclocking headroom, which will widen the gap in single core performance, but stock to stock, there is only a really small difference

1 minute ago, quiet_thinker said:

are there specific workflows for which you simply can't use an AMD CPU?

no consumer/prosumer workload that i am aware of. there are apperantly AI workloads where intel is the only x86 provider, but at that point you should be using a GPU anyways. and im pretty sure you can use other instructions for the same task.

2 minutes ago, quiet_thinker said:

Because of that, my friend said that it is not fair as there are technical differences in how these CPUs work.

with the exception of a couple of instructions, there really isnt a something you can do on intel you cant on AMD. 

their macro and microarchitecture is different, but they do the same stuff. 

Just now, Devryd said:

apple doesn't support amd, that is the only reason

hackintoshes have gotten around that, tho with some annoying limitations, but apperantly very easy installation process. 

tl;dr: there really isnt something one CPU can do while the other one cant. the speed at which they do it might differ, but that is a different story. 

The only difference will be instruction set extensions like SSE, AVX etc (except for a few arbitrary exceptions Intel enforces for no real reason apart from greed such as ECC RAM support).

Both CPUs are running an identical base instruction set (X86-64) and each CPUs will ultimately do the exact same work as the other. The difference is efficiency and by extension time.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

16 minutes ago, Devryd said:

apple doesn't support amd, that is the only reason

The do not officially but hackintoshes on AMD are easy according to some people, Sazzylabs just did a 12 core ryzen build and it crushed almost everything.

14 minutes ago, Devryd said:

the new threadrippers are so fast on single thread performance, they are comparable with not overclocked intel chips. Same goes for the Ryzen chips. Intel does have more overclocking headroom, which will widen the gap in single core performance, but stock to stock, there is only a really small difference

intels 18 core has almost no headroom.

the 9900KS maybe has 5.2 in it without sub ambient cooling.

2nd-8th gen had lots but with 9th gen intel pushed them to the limit from the factory.

My 6600k is 35-40% past spec, good luck getting a 9th gen part to do that.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The only difference will be instruction set extensions like SSE, AVX etc (except for a few arbitrary exceptions Intel enforces for no real reason apart from greed such as ECC RAM support).

Both CPUs are running an identical base instruction set (X86-64) and each CPUs will ultimately do the exact same work as the other. The difference is efficiency and by extension time.

ECC is actually working on a few AMD boards including the Pro WS X570-ACE :)

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

But doesn't that mean that there might exist applications utilizing those instructions and in turn requiring you to use Intel? How does AMD deal with the lack of those? Does the difference result only in performance loss?

17 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

hackintoshes have gotten around that, tho with some annoying limitations, but apperantly very easy installation process.

Since High Sierra AMD hackintoshes have had new patches available which removes most of the limitations, the only thing that still doesn't work properly is CPU power management. In actuality its better than an Intel based hackintosh as you can install system upgrades direct from the app store without doing any additional steps.

The one place where it still sucks is the media creation process. Creating the install drive for an AMD based system is a pain.

Also its my understanding that recently a new bootloader has emerged which removes even more of the work as unlike Clover it requires zero configuration.

I'm very out of the loop with hackintoshing ATM as my 5700XT was unsupported until very recently. I might install Mojave this weekend and see how it all goes.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

28 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Unless you make some program yourself that requires the use of quicksync, in which case you wouldn't be able to use an AMD CPU.

24 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

with the exception of a couple of instructions, there really isnt a something you can do on intel you cant on AMD. 

This is about the only possible scenario I can think of also, if some software was hard coded to require a feature only present in Intel CPUs. If this exists, it'll probably be very niche. General software may make use of multiple codepaths for different architectures to get the best out of each of them, regardless of the feature set available.

There is also some non-zero risk that even with the same instruction support, there may be implementation differences sufficient to cause it to work on one and not the other. This shouldn't happen, but nothing is perfect. Again, this could be taken care off by either the code or compiler having knowledge of this and doing what is necessary to make it work as expected.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, porina said:

There is also some non-zero risk that even with the same instruction support, there may be implementation differences sufficient to cause it to work on one and not the other. This shouldn't happen, but nothing is perfect. Again, this could be taken care off by either the code or compiler having knowledge of this and doing what is necessary to make it work as expected.

It would have to be some very old or non-standard CPU (like a xeon phi) that requires a special operating system.

The operating system is the one that would not support standard instructions.

Which is why you can't run regular programs on something like a xeon phi.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, quiet_thinker said:

In the home market, no. Anybody targeting an application to the masses will target as many instruction sets as possible to make the app as compatible as possible.

In business, very much yes. There are scientific applications which rely on AVX512 and as such will only work on high end Intel CPUs but those are incredibly niche. You're talking universities and large scale scientific organisations, the type of places that will probably have super computers in the basement. Insane simulation, protein folding, the kind of stuff scientists do but us at home will never do. In fact most of this kind of stuff would probably be custom written code specifically for the purpose.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

In business, very much yes. There are scientific applications which rely on AVX512 and as such will only work on high end Intel CPUs but those are incredibly niche. You're talking universities and large scale scientific organisations, the type of places that will probably have super computers in the basement. Insane simulation, protein folding, the kind of stuff scientists do but us at home will never do.

Well, after all Mac Pro is not really consumer/home focused product :) That is why I was discussing it in the first place. Knowing all the things you guys wrote, the next question should be - would it make a difference to Mac users (assuming there is a Threadripper Mac Pro)? Would it affect them, or are these solutions something that's for a completely different scope of users?

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It would have to be some very old or non-standard CPU (like a xeon phi) that requires a special operating system.

But as far as I understand, in this usecase even a different Xeon wouldn't work, right?

So it's not about Intel vs AMD anymore, but about a very specific product.

24 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm very out of the loop with hackintoshing ATM as my 5700XT was unsupported until very recently. I might install Mojave this weekend and see how it all goes.

My only insight is from some hackintosh youtuber doing a Ryzen 3900x system 

Which was very impressed with how easy it was. And i can recall paying attention to at least 5 hackintosh videos from him. 

2 minutes ago, quiet_thinker said:

Well, after all Mac Pro is not really consumer/home focused product :) That is why I was discussing it in the first place. Knowing all the things you guys wrote, the next question should be - would it make a difference to Mac users (assuming there is a Threadripper Mac Pro)? Would it affect them, or are these solutions something that's for a completely different scope of users?

These scenarios would be a different class entirely. They would have a problem and buy the hardware which best suits the solution and probably write their own custom software too.

We're talking weather simulation, space simulation, designing new medicines.

For average Joe Mac user, AFAIK at least, there's no situation where having an Intel would allow a workload that an AMD wouldn't.

7 minutes ago, quiet_thinker said:

Knowing all the things you guys wrote, the next question should be - would it make a difference to Mac users (assuming there is a Threadripper Mac Pro)?

Mac Pro users that use intel hedt it would make no difference if the CPU was a Threadripper afaik. Assuming Apple opened up to the usual MacOS stuff. Performance would be different.

Im hoping LTT compares their hackintoshes with the 28 core intel and 32 core AMD when they review the new mac. Since they would have all three on hand. 

22 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Not what I was thinking. Even for modern CPUs, there are a LOT of instructions. It could be that two manufacturers have a slightly different interpretation, giving different results, or maybe both did want to do the same but there was an error in the implementation resulting divergent operation. I can't give a specific example of either, but look at errata lists, it could be something working wrong, but everyone expects it to work wrong so it keeps working until a "right" implementation comes along and does something different.

22 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The earlier ones were kinda more like a co-processor so arguably you can't treat it as a general x86 device. The later ones did run any x86 software, although slowly as Linus found out when he tried to game on one. They're basically atom cores with a fat FPU strapped on. If you don't use that FPU which is why it exists, you don't get any benefit from it, only the drawbacks.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

11 minutes ago, quiet_thinker said:

But as far as I understand, in this usecase even a different Xeon wouldn't work, right?

So it's not about Intel vs AMD anymore, but about a very specific product.

Yeah if talking about consumer CPUs this doesn't apply, it would be specific models for specialized applications.

But the 'not supporting instructions' part would be on the operating system side not the CPU side, assuming it has the standard x86 or x64 architecture.

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, porina said:

Not what I was thinking. Even for modern CPUs, there are a LOT of instructions. It could be that two manufacturers have a slightly different interpretation, giving different results, or maybe both did want to do the same but there was an error in the implementation resulting divergent operation. I can't give a specific example of either, but look at errata lists, it could be something working wrong, but everyone expects it to work wrong so it keeps working until a "right" implementation comes along and does something different.

The earlier ones were kinda more like a co-processor so arguably you can't treat it as a general x86 device. The later ones did run any x86 software, although slowly as Linus found out when he tried to game on one. They're basically atom cores with a fat FPU strapped on. If you don't use that FPU which is why it exists, you don't get any benefit from it, only the drawbacks.

The instruction set of the x86 or x64 architecture is standard.

Otherwise you would require a different operating system for every model of CPU.

What limits the use of normal programs on a processor like a xeon phi is the operating system that communicates with the CPU.

Since it has a linux OS you can't run exe programs on it, but if you compiled a special version of a windows OS and libraries for it then yes you would be able to run regular exes on it because it has the x86 instruction set. It would run windows just like any i5 or i7.

As you can see, it is all about the OS that dictates what programs you can run.

The architecture x86/x64 is how both consumer AMD and intel CPUs are made, which means that with the same OS both CPUs can run exactly the same programs. The only difference then is the non-standard features provided by something like the iGPU, such as intel quicksync.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

No, just stuff that performs worse on AMD.

Hello adobe premiere, stupid adobe they need to support nvidia and AMD GPU's soon but are probably paid off by intel to keep the competition down.

Adobe has supported nvidia and AMD GPUs for more than a decade. Just quicksync adds an extra boost.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The instruction set of the x86 or x64 architecture is standard.

Otherwise you would require a different operating system for every model of CPU.

The base features are likely bug free and consistent, but it can be the case the later extensions may be less so. Don't rule out the possibility of edge cases of errors in implementation too.

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

What limits the use of normal programs on a processor like a xeon phi is the operating system that communicates with the CPU.

Since it has a linux OS you can't run exe programs on it, but if you compiled a special version of a windows OS and libraries for it then yes you would be able to run regular exes on it because it has the x86 instruction set. It would run windows just like any i5 or i7.

I'll have to see if I can find the video again, but Linus did run Windows on one to see how it would game. I think Linux was only required to make full use of its features, which Linus didn't care about cos gaming on 64 cores (not designed for that kinda use) was going to attract more views.