Nausea with e.g. PSVR vs. Valve Index?

WereCatf

I seem to be one of the unlucky ones who get serious nausea in VR rather easily. It only takes a few moments with the PSVR-headset even when there isn't a lot going on the display and if the player-character/-vehicle is actually moving around, it takes even less and last the entire rest of the day. With this in mind, is there someone else here who is similarly rather easily affected and who has tried both the PSVR and one of the higher-end headsets and could tell a little about their experiences? Before you say anything: no, I do not have any place where I could go and feel the difference for myself.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I have both the PSVR and Oculus Rift S. When I first started out in VR I too got bad motion sickness, have always had this problem IRL too. It does get better overtime the more you play with it. You do have to fight it a bit to get comfortable long term so dont give up on it.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I got motion sick in VR quite easily especially when walking with a controller and having first person view but I got used to it after exposing myself to it often. 

My worst experience made me sick for 2 days only after few seconds of wearing the headset and now it does nothing to me. 

I have to say though that if I go into VR and I don't feel well beforehand I will get motion sick again after about 30min to 1h of wearing the headset. 

28 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I seem to be one of the unlucky ones who get serious nausea in VR rather easily. It only takes a few moments with the PSVR-headset even when there isn't a lot going on the display and if the player-character/-vehicle is actually moving around, it takes even less and last the entire rest of the day. With this in mind, is there someone else here who is similarly rather easily affected and who has tried both the PSVR and one of the higher-end headsets and could tell a little about their experiences? Before you say anything: no, I do not have any place where I could go and feel the difference for myself.

I've never used PSVR but i did start with the Oculus DK2 and have used the CV1, WMR, HTC Vive , and Pimax headsets

I'm going to assume your tracking isn't jittery and you're not getting huge frame rate drops as that is a whole other issue.

Generally, most motion sickness in VR is caused by the world that your eyes are seeing moving while your inner ear doesn't detect any motion.  This non-agreement of the senses can through you for a loop for awhile.

If you do start to feel sick, stop immediately and come back to it later as trying to push through will make it even worse on you and harder to get through.

If you stick to room scale games where you walk around your room 1:1 in the VR world you shouldn't get any motion sickness as your eyes and ear both agree you've moved the same amount.

Once you get comfortable with that, games with teleport locomotion would be next. As you just teleport instantly from pace to place, you don't get the acceleration that makes you sick.

From there I'd say move to something with a cockpit like a driving or flying game so you've got the static reference of the vehicle you're in.  The sickness will probably start here but if you limit your sessions it should be manageable.

Once you are good with extended time in cockpit games, then go to FPS or other games where you are just a body gliding through the world.  These are the most nausea inducing until you build up a tolerance.

When I first started, anything with artificial locomotion beyond teleport would make me sick within 5 minutes or so.  Now I can fly as long as I want and play FPS games like Onward etc. for an hour or two before I start feeling off and have to take a break.

19 hours ago, trufret said:

Once you are good with extended time in cockpit games, then go to FPS or other games where you are just a body gliding through the world.  These are the most nausea inducing until you build up a tolerance.

When I first started, anything with artificial locomotion beyond teleport would make me sick within 5 minutes or so.  Now I can fly as long as I want and play FPS games like Onward etc. for an hour or two before I start feeling off and have to take a break.

Owning the Vive here. It's pretty much the above for me. I'm fine with most games now, but playing some FPS games like Serious Sam or something with a lot of actual movement still makes me a bit woozy. Especially walking around with the controller is something I guess you have to get used to. It made me motion sick after like 5 seconds the first few times, but now I can tolerate it much better.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

It doesn't help that PSVR's minimum requirements for games is only 60fps, unlike 90fps for the PC-based VR sets.  You just can't fight physics, 90fps will be much less motion sickness inducing if you can maintain it.  The higher the better of course, 120 being the next logical leap.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.