nzxt h710i fan issues

safarihunter

I have an NZXT H710i that is powered by an EVGA 1000G3 that I got for free, the case fans are plugged into the smart controller as they were before I unplugged them when i was moving them but they aren't working. I havnt downloaded windows yet so I don't know if I should have software or drivers to make them work. 

Build

intel i9 9900k

rtx 2080 super

250 nvme M.2

2Tb SSD

Aorus z390 pro wifi

EVGA 1000G3 

NZXT h710i

This smart controller. Is it part of the PSU, part of the mobo or a separate piece?  What is it plugged into?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

This smart controller. Is it part of the PSU, part of the mobo or a separate piece?  What is it plugged into?

It's a part of the case, plugged into the motherboard front panel section

4 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

It's a part of the case

Ah.  Well that’s why you mentioned the case then.

• The new Smart Device V2 includes a faster microprocessor for NZXT CAM-powered control of two HUE 2 RGB lighting channels and three fan channels that support either voltage regulated or PWM fans.

Apparently there’s a NZXT CAM application that controls it.

says it also comes with four fans and names the type (aer f120) but there’s an asterisk that also say that the particular type doesn’t necessarily come with the case. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  Well that’s why you mentioned the case then.

• The new Smart Device V2 includes a faster microprocessor for NZXT CAM-powered control of two HUE 2 RGB lighting channels and three fan channels that support either voltage regulated or PWM fans.

Apparently there’s a NZXT CAM application that controls it.

says it also comes with four fans and names the type (aer f120) but there’s an asterisk that also say that the particular type doesn’t necessarily come with the case. 

Ok, so I'll get windows booted and download that software to find out if that's the issue, which I hope it is.

1 minute ago, safarihunter said:

Ok, so I'll get windows booted and download that software to find out if that's the issue, which I hope it is.

There’s a couple other things it could be as well.  The controller is going to want to be plugged into the motherboard and/or powered correctly, and the fans will also need the same.  It’s got rgb headers and power headers and if you plug a power header into rgb you’re going to get nothing.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s a couple other things it could be as well.  The controller is going to want to be plugged into the motherboard and/or powered correctly, and the fans will also need the same.  It’s got rgb headers and power headers and if you plug a power header into rgb you’re going to get nothing.

which ones are which? I haven't removed anything but where the fans were connected to the cable that had 3 spots to connect them with. everything else is as it came stock

4 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

which ones are which? I haven't removed anything but where the fans were connected to the cable that had 3 spots to connect them with. everything else is as it came stock

Not a clue.  The nzxt site didn’t have any pics.  I was told once that most rgb fans are pwm so the fan power will be 4 pin and the rgb will be 3 pin

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Not a clue.  The nzxt site didn’t have any pics.  I was told once that most rgb fans are pwm so the fan power will be 4 pin and the rgb will be 3 pin

I got it working once I downloaded the software, thanks for the help.