Looking at Desktop DAC as well as Mixer for multiple inputs.

Hey guys thought I might ask some other audiophiles for some advice.

I have 3 pairs of headphones that I'm looking to have inputed to a mixer and a DAC. Right now I have the Razer Tiamat's, The Razer Kraken Forged Edition, and the AKG 551's. 

I'm looking at getting a Mixer so I can switch between the inputs quite easily and also have some speakers as well. To my knowledge and I might be completely wrong but thats what you can use a mixer for correct? I also want to go for a coaxial input from mixer to the DAC or whatever I need to get 24-bit/192kHz to/from the DAC.

So I do have a sound card (Asus Xonar DS) in my computer which my Razer Tiamats is plugged into (they have 5 plugs). How much trouble would it be to get that into the mixer as well? Would I split it off? I have music on my computer that I want to listen too but also want to be able to switch between headphones for gaming or music.

Can you give me an example of how I could get this to work? I'm looking to have all three in one source and switch between them but I also need the DAC to be outputting the gorgeous quality. Would a mixer effect that? 

On an off note when you get a DAC does it have options for EQ and other things like that? My limit would be $800 for the DAC the mixer doesn't matter for price.

I was looking at these for some examples:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/nad-d-3020

http://www.whathifi.com/review/nad-d-7050

Are they overkill or not enough let me know what your thoughts are (just quick browsing through DAC's that are 5 Stars as well as nice build quality and decent price.

I really appreciate the help guys. Sorry if I'm a little confusing as well. Tried my best to explain a lot.

Alex

A "mixer" mixes together inputs, and I don't think that's what you want.

A "switch" can be configured to switch between outputs, but most are wired to switch between inputs.

A "splitter" is usually used for multiple outputs, but sends the signal to all devices at the same time.

To make the mic work on the headset(s) you're also looking into at least one ADC, which usually only come with an "audio interface." Some interfaces are like desktop DAC units with only inputs/outputs, and some are built into mixers. If you've really got that cash to blow, it's probably best to look into some custom work but I wouldn't know where to start outside of DIY. The hardest part will probably be the multichannel headset, so I'd plan on keeping that connected to the soundcard.

A "mixer" mixes together inputs, and I don't think that's what you want.

A "switch" can be configured to switch between outputs, but most are wired to switch between inputs.

A "splitter" is usually used for multiple outputs, but sends the signal to all devices at the same time.

To make the mic work on the headset(s) you're also looking into at least one ADC, which usually only come with an "audio interface." Some interfaces are like desktop DAC units with only inputs/outputs, and some are built into mixers. If you've really got that cash to blow, it's probably best to look into some custom work but I wouldn't know where to start outside of DIY. The hardest part will probably be the multichannel headset, so I'd plan on keeping that connected to the soundcard.

okay awesome. So do either a switch or a splitter have any downfalls?

What do you mean build your own DAC :o? Any links you can provide. 

I didn't even know you could do that. Is it almost like building a computer with like shopping for parts?

okay awesome. So do either a switch or a splitter have any downfalls?

What do you mean build your own DAC :o? Any links you can provide. 

I didn't even know you could do that. Is it almost like building a computer with like shopping for parts?

Shouldn't be anything negative about any passive equipment - they're just wires and resistors.

By "DIY" I mean "solder your equipment together in your garage." Despite all the hoop-la on the internet, audio isn't magic. It's actually one of the simplest things to do yourself. Not quite as easy as "build a pc" because with that you're basically playing with expensive legos.

Soldering aint as easy as playing go fish, but it is a useful and cost-saving skill to know. I'm sure t0wer, mr moose, and maybe some others would be willing to jump in and help if you're interested.

Lol, if he wants to be cheap and ghetto, but an $800 budget suggests otherwise.

it's not going to change the sound quality, he could spend $2000 connecting the two razors and the 551's to a dac and still risk worse sound qualiy than a basic switch.  

I personally wouldn't put more in the signal chain than necessary. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

it's not going to change the sound quality, he could spend $2000 connecting the two razors and the 551's to a dac and still risk worse sound qualiy than a basic switch.  

I personally wouldn't put more in the signal chain than necessary. 

Oh, I'm not suggesting he spend all $800. I'm just saying, he could buy all the individual components himself and throw it all together in a big-ish custom enclosure rather than having a mess of components and wires sprawled about on his desk. 

Just ignore the fact that I'm a very bad example of de-cluttering a desk.  :ph34r:

Oh, I'm not suggesting he spend all $800. I'm just saying, he could buy all the individual components himself and throw it all together in a big-ish custom enclosure rather than having a mess of components and wires sprawled about on his desk. 

Just ignore the fact that I'm a very bad example of de-cluttering a desk.  :ph34r:

fair enough, although there are nicer switch box with all the connections on the back panel like this:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=rca+switch+box&client=firefox-a&hs=6r6&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=OT73UviUOcyHkQWo5ICADw&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=920#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=tsF_YR1L-XwslM%253A%3B7IjWni1rg2SVGM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fm4.uxcell.com%252Fphoto_new%252F20070306%252Fc%252Fux_a07030600ux0096_ux_c.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.uxcell.com%252Floading-audio-video-rca-home-theater-switch-box-p-6713.html%3B600%3B289

I just picked the first one I found in google as an example.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I was looking at this Motu stuff. I am looking at it as kind of a 2 in 1 solution to my problem. I could have it for recording and mixing my guitars as well as mics but could it double as a DAC too?

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/track16

If not can you guys recommend me some desktop DACs that are maybe in the 400ish range to start? Something very nice build and reputable.

I could also stack it with one of the Audio Express - 6x6 Hybrid Firewire/USB2 interface one. So it could fit all four things. or am I getting off track here?

Thanks for the quick reply though guys!

I was looking at this Motu stuff. I am looking at it as kind of a 2 in 1 solution to my problem. I could have it for recording and mixing my guitars as well as mics but could it double as a DAC too?

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/track16

If not can you guys recommend me some desktop DACs that are maybe in the 400ish range to start? Something very nice build and reputable.

I could also stack it with one of the Audio Express - 6x6 Hybrid Firewire/USB2 interface one. So it could fit all four things. or am I getting off track here?

Thanks for the quick reply though guys!

Woah woah woah

You want a ghettup for actual recording, not for leaving multiple headphones plugged in? Both?

Don't need a fancy DAC if you're getting an audio interface for recording, as those'll already have one. They tend to not have the best amps for low impedance headphones, however. Additionally, a mixer is rather useful for recording purposes. So, I'd look into getting a Mixer with all the ins/outs you need and USB + a dedicated headphone amp. I don't know which professional products are good and which are bad, so I'll have to leave that to someone else to make specific recommendations. The O2 headphone amp is about all anyone really needs, but I do realize it's not in the most convenient form factor (everything on the front plate? ICK!).

Side note - I could be wrong, but I don't think flashy products like that MOTU is what you want to be looking at.

I can't speak for the motu stuff, Until now I hadn't even heard of it.   It sounds to me like you want to setup a recording studio,  But I can't work out why you'd want to stick with the razor headphones if you are willing to dump$400 into recording gear and dac's etc.

There are multiple ways to setup a studio but before anyone can recommend a setup we need to know exactly what you want to do, some setups will exclude features and others will be less than adequate depending on your priorities.

Can you be more definitive in what you need, what you already have and the total amount you want to spend?

I was just thinking if I could it would be awesome to have something that has multiple uses right. I really want a DAC that I can have multiple outputs for. Also the Razer tiamats have the true surround I love for gaming and the Kraken forged I got at half price (150) so those ones I would use for outdoors and travel they are such nice build quality as well as have a hard case. but the AKG 551 will be the desktop studio setup. I was giving an example for the multiple headphones as well as some monitors i would love to get as well. I would need alot of outputs on it.  

I came across the Motu and to me it seemed like it could do the job as well offer some other benefits for guitar covers as well as recording that i would love to do on the side. This was my kind of step into it as I have a shit load of FLAC i want to listen to with those 2 pairs of headphones.

So If you could recommend some stand alone DAC's that might suit well (around 400) and also some other recording stuff like the Motu (400 for that as well).

Also that kind of stuff has a DAC in it right? Just not an extremely nice one like if I was to blow 400 separately.

That Motu one just looked so compact as well for the use it would have.

I was also looking at mixers as well but I didn't know if I would have to go to that and then a DAC or how that would work. I apologize if I'm a little uncoordinated with what I need I'm pretty new to the whole sound setup.

I really can't talk to the Motu, it looks like with being all digital it might suffer lag, but who knows, it might also be everything and a bit for recording.  If I had your setup I would look into basic USB recording interfaces for the dac, Maybe @Windspeed36 can recommend a few.  I've always liked the look of the yamaha and presonus stuff but I don't have personal experience with them just positive reviews from friends. 

Then I would use the switch box I linked to earlier to connect and select multiple headphones. And finally if necessary I would ad a basic mixer to expand upon the inputs of the interface. 

This interface can be used as a basic sound card, mic in and mini studio recording utility because most of them come with software like cubase. 

I've only glanced over the thread and will provide a mode detailed response later but have a look a a quad channel headphone amp.

I've only glanced over the thread and will provide a mode detailed response later but have a look a a quad channel headphone amp.

Presonus (Or something of the flavor) makes one, sucks as an amp, but is quad channel with independent pots. 

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll defiantly get more into it.  

Can you guys tell me the difference between a DAC and and an AMP and whether I need both?

The term dac has become somewhat ambiguous over the last few years, originally and technically a dac is the device that converts a serial digital bit-stream into an analog signal.  But nowadays with chip technology the dac chip also contains a DSP and occasionally an interface.   For example if the chips was to be used in a usb dac it could have a usb interface, a DSP for signal processing (decoding 5.1 and adding effects etc) and then it would have the digital to analog converters.    Some dacs, like the latest realtek chips have small amps built in so they can drive headphones directly, they are by no means anything to write home about but they are capable of driving 60-80ohm headphones to a moderate listening level.  

After this if the headphone is particularly hard to drive, either because it has a low sensitivity or high impedance (or both) then an amp may be needed to get the headphones to a decent level.  Some sound solutions have a separate amp for this, I.E the fiio e10, the stx and the ZxR.   When you hear about devices with swappable op-amps, this is what they are talking about, although most of us just don't see the logic behind it other than a marketing tool. 

So long answer short: you will always need a dac, but you only need the amp if your headphones are hard to drive or your dac only puts out line level.