Is Windows 8 Good As A Gaming Platform Or Should I Get Win 7?

hi guys im new to pc building and im currently in a drag between windows 7 and 8. so if somone could help me that would just be great :)

Linus has done a couple of videos on that_to some extent there some improvements check this link 

Linus made several videos on this topic, I think the conclusion was that Win 8 gets better minimum frames but not as high averages. Also Win 7 has better compatibility so I  would stick with that

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

If you want your unsigned drivers to work, stay with 7 until MS fixes 8.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I have been using Windows 8 for 6 months now and I really like it. I have had no problems with game compatibility even with some titles from 2002! 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

How bad is the trouble with games for windows live which he's talked about? Does anyone who has tried think it's worth the trouble?

i have tried windows 8 and i have windows 7. my preference is win 7 

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 4.2GHz Quad-Core    CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid     Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150   Memory Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600     Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD     Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB   Case Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower   Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V  Optical Drive none Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 ultimate

There is no big difference between windows 7 and 8 in gaming .I would get 8 because it is newer and i think probably safer.

They're essentially the same as gaming platforms. The question is whether you adapt to change well.

I would get Windows 8 because it is becoming better with driver support,game compatibility, and its newer! :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I LOVE the start button xD so for me windows 7 is better.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Windows 8 is great. If you think you are hindered by the Start Menu you may not like, get Start8 it costs only 5 bucks.

i have 3 PCs running windows 8 and i play games on 2 of them. and i have not had any problems with it.

any thing worth mentioning is that games do feel more fluid and system is more responsive as well.

so my recommendation ( if it means anything) - just get Windows 8. if you miss the start menu install "StartIsBack"and you will be fine. if you have any problems with any games i am sure some one out there have found the solution to it.

cheers, Keep Gaming

Windows 8 is great. If you think you are hindered by the Start Menu you may not like, get Start8 it costs only 5 bucks.

i think Start is back is a better option. but that is just me. 

I tried to use Windows 8 but I just couldn't do it and I reverted back. I would stick with 7 not only for gaming but for the overall experience as well.

my view is that windows 8 is optimised for touch screen and since i dont have a touch screen there not much sense in getting it, I do seeing it being good for laptops though

Its all about those volumetric clouds

If you want your unsigned drivers to work, stay with 7 until MS fixes 8.

You can disable driver signature in windows 8..

i had the message "sorry this program is not compatible with windows 8" pop up when trying to install GTA IV on a friends system. I am personaly sticking with windows 7, atleast i am until Steam for Linux is done porting over tittles.

You can disable driver signature in windows 8..

Um the only thing you can do is enable test mode and sign them yourself, afaik. Which is retarded. If you have some other magical solution to make unsigned peripherals work, do tell, because 48 hours of straight, deep googling of this issue came ub with a big huge BLANK of how to force Windows 8 to not block my unsigned mouse without using test mode.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Um the only thing you can do is enable test mode and sign them yourself, afaik. Which is retarded. If you have some other magical solution to make unsigned peripherals work, do tell, because 48 hours of straight, deep googling of this issue came ub with a big huge BLANK of how to force Windows 8 to not block my unsigned mouse without using test mode.

You can disable driver signature in the advanced boot menu. You can make a script so that every time you reboot you get the advanced boot menu and you just press 7 to boot without driver signature enforcement. 

You can disable driver signature in the advanced boot menu. You can make a script so that every time you reboot you get the advanced boot menu and you just press 7 to boot without driver signature enforcement. 

Unfortunately, that particular fix did not work with my particular problem. As I imagined it didn't work for 60% of others who've tried it based on the comment section from every article that recommended this solution.

i had the message "sorry this program is not compatible with windows 8" pop up when trying to install GTA IV on a friends system. I am personaly sticking with windows 7, atleast i am until Steam for Linux is done porting over tittles.

Setup check which type of OS you have to install the appropriate files for the game or software to work. Windows 8 is based on Windows 7. All you need to do is by-pass the OS if condition check.

To do this, is simple: Right-click on the program setup executable, select Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, and select from the drop down menu: Windows 7, hit OK, and now try to run the setup. It will install properly, and work properly.

You need to do this for every setup of all software, that have such implementation. This is a common thing that occurs at every new version of Windows.

There is no fix for this. The software, driver, game maker needs to update their setup software. Software and drivers are usually done (unless it's no longer supported), as for games, support is usually cut immediately after the game is released. So, no fix, beside the above (well these is a fix, you need to edit the setup config file to add Windows 8, but it's easier to do the above thing). That is why Microsoft added this feature in XP, because it was just ridiculous.