Placing existing 2tb drive with OS and programs into new system.

Bender Blues

I've never really got a straight answer in another thread so hoping to here.

I'm simply needing to know (and deeply hoping so), I'm taking my existing 1070 and PSU out of my current (older) build.

New build is of new MSI mobo, Ryzen 5 3600 and 16gb DDR4 3600 ram.

And adding from my old build, the 1070 and evga 600w PSU.

What I'm needing to know: Will I simply be able to remove my 2tb drive with W10 and and programs installed and inject it right into the new build and be off and running?

I remember many, many years ago, this couldn't be done because of Windows would be seeing different hardware installed - protecting itself from piracy. But that was in w95/98 days.

Thank you much!

** Here on the West Coast USA **

Stupid answer but: Maybe?

Windows sometimes does an okay job at swapping out drivers and such. But it screws up sometimes and causes a bunch of wacky errors.

As a general rule from me: reinstall windows when you get a new motherboard. You'll avoid all the issues that could possibly come without doing so.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 hour ago, Bender Blues said:

What I'm needing to know: Will I simply be able to remove my 2tb drive with W10 and and programs installed and inject it right into the new build and be off and running?

Windows will deem this as a significant hardware change and will require reactivation but...

As a rule, I suggest you do a fresh install of Windows when swapping out motherboards (as Slottr also stated). You may get away with it but you may also run into lock ups and other random problems with your rig if you insist on keeping your old Windows image. Save yourself possible future problems and backup what you need to retain, format the drive and reinstall Windows.

5 hours ago, Slottr said:

Stupid answer but: Maybe?

Windows sometimes does an okay job at swapping out drivers and such. But it screws up sometimes and causes a bunch of wacky errors.

As a general rule from me: reinstall windows when you get a new motherboard. You'll avoid all the issues that could possibly come without doing so.

Damn. So Windows will actually try and install drivers (not worried about GPU drivers) if I even plug it in, in an attempt to see if it will work?

5 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

Damn. So Windows will actually try and install drivers (not worried about GPU drivers) if I even plug it in, in an attempt to see if it will work?

Yeah

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 6:03 AM, Slottr said:

Yeah

What drivers would it be installing that aren't there now just by adding a new mobo, CPU and RAM?

I don't get this. I've seen Linus do it a thousand times, every time the desktop is relatively the same so its a W10 drive with his stuff on it. He swaps that drive in and out all the time.

Just like today, he did it again, three or four times!! With different ram and mobo each time. This is the same desktop I've seen over  and over and over again.

So why couldn't I just bring my C drive over with W10 and installed programs and just plug it in with a new mobo/cpu and RAM?

Only the motherboard swap could be a cause for concern 

Each board has different requirements, and drivers for previous boards could possibly conflict with the new ones

I'm also pretty sure that theyre not using these systems for prolonged time 

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

Only the motherboard swap could be a cause for concern 

Each board has different requirements, and drivers for previous boards could possibly conflict with the new ones

I'm also pretty sure that theyre not using these systems for prolonged time 

OK, but if there is indeed a conflict, why couldn't I just install the drivers thats having an issue? Thats why I asked, what specific files does W10 install for one motherboard and not another?

What system files for W10 are chosen to be installed or  not to be installed in going from a mini atx Gigabyte 78LMT USB3 R2 mobo to a ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming mobo? 

17 minutes ago, Bender Blues said:

OK, but if there is indeed a conflict, why couldn't I just install the drivers thats having an issue? Thats why I asked, what specific files does W10 install for one motherboard and not another?

What system files for W10 are chosen to be installed or  not to be installed in going from a mini atx Gigabyte 78LMT USB3 R2 mobo to a ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming mobo? 

Then go for it if you have the patience 

I'm not an engineer or OS dev so I can't really say 

3 hours ago, Slottr said:

Then go for it if you have the patience 

I'm not an engineer or OS dev so I can't really say 

But you said, 

What are those requirements from mobo to mobo? 

4 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

But you said, 

What are those requirements from mobo to mobo? 

Different boards have different devices. So if you wanted to research which drivers did what for each little thing- you could.

Or you can just reinstall windows, where it will install most of the drivers you will need from y=0 so you don't have to go through that mess.

Reinstalling is a much cleaner, easier process. Just back up your data

17 hours ago, Slottr said:

Different boards have different devices. So if you wanted to research which drivers did what for each little thing- you could.

Or you can just reinstall windows, where it will install most of the drivers you will need from y=0 so you don't have to go through that mess.

Reinstalling is a much cleaner, easier process. Just back up your data

Oh right! Thats what Im missing. Its different USB's possibly, different ethernet manufacture, on board audio differences etc..... ahh yes. All that stuff. Now its clear :D TY!

3 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

Oh right! Thats what Im missing. Its different USB's possibly, different ethernet manufacture, on board audio differences etc..... ahh yes. All that stuff. Now its clear :D TY!

Np lol

I can see where it's confusing. Good luck!

On 11/16/2019 at 3:47 AM, Bender Blues said:

Yes, just connect your current system to new build, wait for new drivers to be installed and you'll be ok.

Many people recommend to made new install, but mostly because other people recommend that and it's vicious circle. Simplest and fastest will be just plug and check what happens - you always can made fresh install, but do not start with that.

Activation is another thing. You should connect your local account to Microsoft account before change if you want to keep your license.

20 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Yes, just connect your current system to new build, wait for new drivers to be installed and you'll be ok.

Many people recommend to made new install, but mostly because other people recommend that and it's vicious circle. Simplest and fastest will be just plug and check what happens - you always can made fresh install, but do not start with that.

Activation is another thing. You should connect your local account to Microsoft account before change if you want to keep your license.

Right, fresh install is out of the question. Its not just as easy as backing up data.

Activation - will I lose the license by just dropping in my drive? W10 was installed a year ago with the USB/method and has worked flawless. Fully functional.

Thanks for the reply. 

This W10 was installed using the Windows media creation tool onto a USB.

Not by this dude. Just an example ?

10 hours ago, homeap5 said:

You don't loose your license if you have box version. But if it's oem, you must first link your account like I said. How?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Read section "Link your Windows 10 digital license to your Microsoft account".

OK gotcha. In the shot below, I assume this is the box version, do I have that right?

And thank you very much for the info.

And one more thing if I can - I take your word on this above 100%. But have you done this very same thing before, with just putting in an existing C drive and the files get automatically installed that are missing? Thanks again @homeap5

spacer.png

I made this (swapping systems between devices) LOT of time. My current system starts as i5 3rd gen on H77 chipset and now I'm using i7 8tg gen on Z370. Also - this is my third ssd I changed by cloning existing system to another drive (without any reinstall of course). I have oem win10 and it works.

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

I made this (swapping systems between devices) LOT of time. My current system starts as i5 3rd gen on H77 chipset and now I'm using i7 8tg gen on Z370. Also - this is my third ssd I changed by cloning existing system to another drive (without any reinstall of course). I have oem win10 and it works.

OK perfect. TY

Is it safe to say the drivers will be the same for the ethernet, to just hopefully plug in and if any drivers need installing, it can reach the web? Or will I have to throw new drivers on a thumb and install new ones.

Thanks again!!

6 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

OK perfect. TY

Is it safe to say the drivers will be the same for the ethernet, to just hopefully plug in and if any drivers need installing, it can reach the web? Or will I have to throw new drivers on a thumb and install new ones.

Thanks again!!

Even if not the same - ethernet drivers installs without problem. At least in my cases.

I have proposal - less asking, more trying. :)