First time using an AIO cooler, pump noise?

Hi, i just got my first AIO cooler, nothing fancy, its a " ID-Cooling AURAFLOW 240 Snow", and i think the pump its a little noisy, its conected via SATA, so i think its all the time at 100% right? sometimes it doesnt make any sound, and then starts making sounds again, for around 10 seconds sound, 3 - 4 seconds quiet.. is that bc the pump have air bubbles? its the pump going on and off? i tried moving the radiator a little, and heard the sound of water moving, but the pump noise its still the same, its that normal? its just a bad pump? any advice? thnx!

If you are connected via SATA it should run at full speed at all times, the sound could be air bubbles, but if your CPU temperatures start going up then it might be failing.

Thats what i tought... if its conected via sata its all the time 100% so if sometimes its quite,, it could be quite all the time, theres any way to take the air bubbles out? i tried moving the radiator a little but nothigs, its mounted vertical on the front, like this, should i mount it different?

3.jpg

11 minutes ago, Alvaro003 said:

Hi, i just got my first AIO cooler, nothing fancy, its a " ID-Cooling AURAFLOW 240 Snow", and i think the pump its a little noisy, its conected via SATA, so i think its all the time at 100% right? sometimes it doesnt make any sound, and then starts making sounds again, for around 10 seconds sound, 3 - 4 seconds quiet.. is that bc the pump have air bubbles? its the pump going on and off? i tried moving the radiator a little, and heard the sound of water moving, but the pump noise its still the same, its that normal? its just a bad pump? any advice? thnx!

I would return that Cooler if i where you. There are lot of bad reviews for it and support is non existent (typical Chinese manufacture). You never want to cheap out on a AIO. Worst thing is that it will start to leak and destroy your other components. 

Main Workhorse:-

Dual Xeon E5-2687W v3 | SuperMicro X10DAi Dual Socket Workstation Board | 64GB ECC DDR4 2400Mhz | Intel DC Series 500GB SSD | EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X | Seagate 7200rpm 2TB | SuperMicro Gold Series 1Kw PSU | SuperMicro EATX Chassis | LG Ultrawide 34inch 75hz | LG 1080p 22inch IPS 75hz | Ubuntu 19.10 x64 |

Server:-

Dual Xeon E5-2680 v1  | SuperMicro X9DRW-3LN4F+ Server Board | 64GB ECC DDR3 1600Mhz | 7 x Intel DC Series 500GB SSD's | SuperMicro SuperChasis SC119TQ-R700WB 1U | Redundant 450w Gold rated PSU's | ESXi 6.7

Laptop:-

2018 15 inch Apple Macbook Pro Touchbar with 16GB Memory and 256GB NVMe

Monitor your CPU temps, if everything is normal you could just have a noisy pump. If you notice the temps are creeping up too high and assuming it's mounted properly, then you know the pump is at fault. 

Temperatures are normal, i will show you a spreadsheet i made testing.. after the overclock temperatures reach around 80 on full load

image.png.af068c1981ea3e74c761efd644a8d425.png

You could try mounting the raidator so the tubes are at the bottom to see if that helps keep the bubbles in place as opposed to going through the entire loop and making noise in the pump.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

8 minutes ago, nick name said:

You could try mounting the raidator so the tubes are at the bottom to see if that helps keep the bubbles in place as opposed to going through the entire loop and making noise in the pump.  

its a little late here, i will try that tomorrow and let it go for a few hours to test it

this are the temps, after 15 mins of prime95 torture test, overclocked to 3.8 ghz, i dont see anything weird about tems

temp.png

1 hour ago, Alvaro003 said:

this are the temps, after 15 mins of prime95 torture test, overclocked to 3.8 ghz, i dont see anything weird about tems

temp.png

I am not expert on Ryzen but I have an 8700K and used to run it with a 240mm rad (Corsair H100i GTX) and at 4.5GHz would only reach 80 degrees Celsius

14 minutes ago, Behroon said:

I am not expert on Ryzen but I have an 8700K and used to run it with a 240mm rad (Corsair H100i GTX) and at 4.5GHz would only reach 80 degrees Celsius

as far as i saw in videos about overclock ryzen when i was testing, around 4ghz  its the max for my cpu, i think some intel cpus oc higher

1 minute ago, Alvaro003 said:

as far as i saw in videos about overclock ryzen when i was testing, around 4ghz  its the max for my cpu, i think some intel cpus oc higher

I don't mean the OC is low, I mean the temps are high, again imo.

33 minutes ago, Behroon said:

I don't mean the OC is low, I mean the temps are high, again imo.

ah i though u mean that 3.8 was low for 78°, mmm idk if the temps are high.. i was reaching 85 degrees at 3ghz on the stock cooler, 60° with the AIO, and 78° at 3.8ghz, sounds "normal", but again, i dont know much about overclocking and watercooling/AIO.. im new to this

Update 1: Yesterday i went to sleep with the PC on to let the cooler run, and when i wake up today it was quite, no pump noise, now im in work, and i leaved the pc on so it can have more time, i will check it when i come back to see if the pump its still quiet, maybe it just needed some time to get the air bubbles off..

Flip the rad.

AIOs will always have a pocket of air, they wont 'bleed' out the air, its there to stay. To stop it circulating through the pump all the time you want the in/out on the rad to be at the bottom, so the air pocket collects at the end tank at the top of the rad.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Dude, I have the same CPU with  different AIO in one of my systems with 3.9 and if you are reaching ~80 degrees thats a bit too hot :D What voltage you have on the CPU after to get to 3.8Ghz? As for noise, put the pc 45 degree angle and let it run for a bit. It's usually air bubbles and noise should lower after some usage.

59 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Flip the rad.

AIOs will always have a pocket of air, they wont 'bleed' out the air, its there to stay. To stop it circulating through the pump all the time you want the in/out on the rad to be at the bottom, so the air pocket collects at the end tank at the top of the rad.

I gave the same recommendation.  I think he said he was going to try it, but I'm not sure if he has yet.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Guys concerned about his max temps -- don't forget to take into account his ambient temps.  I think he was idling at 34*C.  

21 minutes ago, nick name said:

I gave the same recommendation.  I think he said he was going to try it, but I'm not sure if he has yet.  

Im still at work, but i will try that when i come home back, if the pump its still making noise (today when i woke up it was quiet, maybe already bleed out the air)

17 minutes ago, nick name said:

Guys concerned about his max temps -- don't forget to take into account his ambient temps.  I think he was idling at 34*C.  

Yes, its almost summer here, and the day i was testing, it was 32°c ambient.. maybe thats why it seems hot

1 hour ago, Envit0 said:

Dude, I have the same CPU with  different AIO in one of my systems with 3.9 and if you are reaching ~80 degrees thats a bit too hot :D What voltage you have on the CPU after to get to 3.8Ghz? As for noise, put the pc 45 degree angle and let it run for a bit. It's usually air bubbles and noise should lower after some usage.

mmm i dont remember the voltage, bc i tried ryzen master, and the bios for overcock, but the bios was setting the voltage auto, and ryzen master i think it was.. 1.25v? i remember trying 1.35-1.4 for 4ghz, but it was unstable at 1.35 and too hot at 1.4v for 4ghz, almost 100° in a single cinebench test, thats why i used 3.8 ghz at i think 1.25, but im not 100% sure right now

I'm using a different AIO, but my setup is the same as yours with the tubes and fittings. Currently no noise with that configuration, but maybe that will change over time when the coolant evaporates more over time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

Your temps are fine for a 240mm AIO.  At 3.8ghz with stock voltages (TG Kryo as paste) I was getting fine enough temps and these are fine enough temps (Corsair H100i GTX AIO), but to push further I had to build a custom loop.  Its when you start applying healthy amounts of voltage that the AIO will not be able to keep up.

As suggested before, I know Linus says to put tubes up top but no.  Put the tubes bottom mounted so, as said above, the air bubbles get trapped at the top of the radiator, where they will stay because #science

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

52 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Your temps are fine for a 240mm AIO.  At 3.8ghz with stock voltages (TG Kryo as paste) I was getting fine enough temps and these are fine enough temps (Corsair H100i GTX AIO), but to push further I had to build a custom loop.  Its when you start applying healthy amounts of voltage that the AIO will not be able to keep up.

As suggested before, I know Linus says to put tubes up top but no.  Put the tubes bottom mounted so, as said above, the air bubbles get trapped at the top of the radiator, where they will stay because #science

i Always saw linus and the other tech youtubers put them on top, thats why i mounted the rad that way, but right now, its very quiet, i think it bleed out all the air

Update 2. I just came back home, and the pc was running 1 full day, the pump its now very quiet, no noise, i think it just needed some time to bleed the bubbles, i will leave the rad mounted that way for now since im not moving the pc,,, if i have to move it for something, and i hear noise again, i will flip them to have the tubes at the bottom

Just now, Alvaro003 said:

i Always saw linus and the other tech youtubers put them on top, thats why i mounted the rad that way, but right now, its very quiet, i think it bleed out all the air

That's not how it works.  Currently the air is trapped somewhere but due to orientation, it will find its way back through the pump/block so when you hear some grinding let it pass and it will hopefully get re-trapped. 

Its POSSIBLE it will stay trapped, but unlikely, as the highest point in the loop is those tubes.  So if the air gets to those tubes, its going to get sucked out.  If you orient tubes down (Just cause Linus does something doesn't mean its right or better or best tbh) the air gets trapped, and stay, at the top of the radiator at the exchange.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

15 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

(Just cause Linus does something doesn't mean its right or better or best tbh)

haha i know, i mean, that i oriented the rad that way bc i tought it was the best one when i was mounting it, bc was all i saw in the videos, i will flip it