Best wired controller for PC?

Jurrunio

I'm just thinking of getting one since keyboards dont give you linear control (linear keyboards are cool but cost too much). I prefer being wired so I don't have to worry about battery problems, not like a cable bothers me when I play on a laptop within arms reach. Size-wize, the one I've used before on the Xbox 360 (wireless) feels nice, weight dont really matter since I dont think I'll game with it that much.

Talking about the Xbox 360 wireless controller, should I buy modules to turn it wired instead? I think it still needs battery power though

edit: sometimes I play racing games, so extra points for gyroscope-equipped controllers like the DS4

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, Jurrunio said:

I'm just thinking of getting one since keyboards dont give you linear control (linear keyboards are cool but cost too much). I prefer being wired so I don't have to worry about

Logitech F310

has a switch for direct input mode and x-input mode

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

The best experience I have had is the xbox one controller with a charging station. You can also just connect them with microusb cables. I use to use a wired PS4 controller, but they are a pain to get the button labels correct. 

If you want a premium experience, i think what @Sorenson said is the way to go. Personally i have bought a year ago the Amazon Basics xbox one controller, it's really not bad but the buttons take a bit of being used to, the dpad isn't good and the triggers after long gaming sessions start to make a kinda squeaking sound. Aside from the sound of the triggers though, maybe I had high standards since i have a switch pro controller, which is really good, but lacks the analog triggers. Without mentioning the fact that xbox controllers are bound to have 1000 times better compatibility with pc, every game works right away 

Maybe things have changed in the many years since it was more common to do so, but I don't think of "third party" controllers as being good quality or a good experience (ie, mad catz, logitech etc - anything not playstation, xbox, etc.)

The xbox controllers have always been legendary for compatibility and reliability of plug & play, and I think they're quite good for ergonomics too.  Plus, they're simply what most PC games expect in controller mode, so that helps.  I have both and the 360 controller is good, but feels like a toy compared to the xbox one controller.  Another benefit of the one is it can be wireless or wired just put plugging it in or putting in batteries (and having the dongle, or using bluetooth if you get the newer ones)

Didn't know the 360 ones were not versatile in the same manner and you got either a wired or wireless one and that's all it could be.  That's unfortunate, but if you are willing to buy mods for it, you can probably just get a whole wired controller.  They were down into the mid $20s when they were still new and being made so I can only assume that on the used market they'll be even cheaper by now.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

hard to say - I have used PS4 DS4 controllers, an Xbox One Elite controller, and now a Razer Raiju Ultimate... they're all great. If you like DS4 controllers feel I would just go with one of those personally.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

I suggest to go for xbox one controller :) Ez pz plug and play and if you want you can use both wireless and wired, quality is great as well

Just go to Best Buy, and get the cheapest wired Xbox controller, it should work. It's what I do when I want to play with a controller.

Edit: It may not work in USB 3.0 or higher. Mine doesn't.

40 minutes ago, J4C0B 4W3S0M3 said:

Just go to Best Buy, and get the cheapest wired Xbox controller, it should work. It's what I do when I want to play with a controller.

Edit: It may not work in USB 3.0 or higher. Mine doesn't.

I've always heard legends of peripherals theoretically having issues with USB 3 but never experienced it myself or even heard of anyone else experiencing it until now.  I suspect this has more to do with the hardware and drivers behind the port than it does the controller.  Just out of curiosity, what system is this being used on?  I've also heard whispers through the ages that these problems are potentially left overs from the very early days of USB 3 when it was done with third party chips rather than native support (~2011 or earlier if possible), but due to the aforementioned rarity of these issues have never been able to confirm that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I understand the appeal of xbox controllers but wouldn't the micro USB port wear down and break with time, especially if you use it as a wired controller. 

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I understand the appeal of xbox controllers but wouldn't the micro USB port wear down and break with time, especially if you use it as a wired controller. 

Only if you constantly plug that in and then unplug it again which there's no reason for.

On 11/8/2019 at 3:39 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Maybe things have changed in the many years since it was more common to do so, but I don't think of "third party" controllers as being good quality or a good experience (ie, mad catz, logitech etc - anything not playstation, xbox, etc.)

Mad Catz was my go to back in the Gamecube days... I still have my controller from when I played smash on it, was pro for a short little bit and loved that thing...

Lowest possible latency *wired* is an XB1 controller per the tests I've seen, but if you have bluetooth as an option the Dualshock 4 will be your best bet. For PC i use an XB1 controller, though my favorite of all time is a Hyperkin Duke.

Yes, the Bluetooth Dualshock 4 has lower latency to a PC than the Wired XB1, as well as a wired DS4... I don't know.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

On 11/8/2019 at 8:39 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Third party controllers can be great as long as you buy then off a trusted seller. 3rd party controllers usually tend to compete in value. So for example I got a third party wireless controller, of a not very known brand. It costs less than an xbox 360 or xbox one controller but also offers more in return. For example it has a much longer battery life and I rarely charge it, and it has a nice texture of rubberized plastic which offers good grip and feels nice holding it. It has worked well for me in the past year.