Is my ISPs actions illigal ?

Faisal A

So, last year, my ISP decided to block all VPNs. It doesn't just straight out block it, it resets the connection evry time you try to open a VPNs website, minimizing people finding out it is them who blocked it and probab;y to cover up their actions, when they say they never blocked it (technically, the just reset it, not blocked it, however the browser prevents you from viewing it if the connection is reset). So, I contacted them and they said it is nothing to do with them, they allow VPNs and the VPN has a problem on their side, or a setting which prevents talktalk users from seeing it. I have got evidence of this conversation. Is what my ISP is doing illigal ?

And before somebody says, maybe it is the VPNs fault on their side, I have tested it in 4 different buildings, one of which uses the buisnssd line connection and each device has a fresh install of either Windows 7 or 10. All firewalls have been switched off. 

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

1 minute ago, Faisal A said:

Is what my ISP is doing illigal ?

You haven't even provided any evidence of your ISP being the culprit.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

@WereCatf 

5 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

I have tested it in 4 different buildings, one of which uses the buisnssd line connection and each device has a fresh install of either Windows 7 or 10. All firewalls have been switched off.

image.thumb.png.bf0a900f2a21bbd81608e49bf666f177.png

image.thumb.png.98936b75b86751476fe4bbca5ad36336.png

If you've purchased the VPN package, then go to the VPN provider. They'll have more tools, and more clout, to tackle the issue. My first port of call would be this, as the level of diagnostics you can do at the end of a domestic internet connection is limited.

I have heard of ISP's blocking certain ports on domestic connections as a result of spammers. Basically, they block anything that a confidence trickster/telephone con artist, could use to remote control someone's PC. Seems a bit drastic, but some ISP's are doing it. Usually, however, there is a setting in the customers control panel.

If you get through to a green techy on the end of the phone who isn't clued up on VPN blocking, then mention the blocking of remote control software... that might ring more bells.

2 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

That's not really evidence. First of all, did you try other browsers? Did you try e.g. on your phone or on a tablet while connected to WiFi? If you can access the website with a different browser or using your phone, then it's obviously not blocked.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

@duncannah But my homesafe show a talktalk screen for spam websites. Why are they not doing it for VPNS

@WereCatf When I used my phone hotspot on the same browser it worked.

2 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Looks like TalkTalk Kidsafe (Homesafe) is the culrpit: https://www.blocked.org.uk/site/http://nordvpn.com

I had completely forgotten those stupid "child-safe" filters. Typical UK-idiocy.

2 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

@duncannah But my homesafe show a talktalk screen for spam websites. Why are they not doing it for VPNS

The VPN websites use HTTPS, so a message can't be displayed. The most they can do is simply shut off access

🙂

@WereCatf But the childsafe filter shows a talktalk screen when it is blocked. Why not with VPNs. Do they have something to hide ?

If you got a "child protection" on, you better talk to your parents first before looking at legal options.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Connection_reset means the TCP session was closed mid session. If your ISP was actually blocking VPNs you wouldnt have gotten far enough to begin the handshake.

There could be a ton of factors between you and the VPN's service that is causing the issue. Firewall, CGNAT, proxy...

5 hours ago, Faisal A said:

. I have got evidence of this conversation. Is what my ISP is doing illigal ?

And before somebody says, maybe it is the VPNs fault on their side, I have tested it in 4 different buildings, one of which uses the buisnssd line connection and each device has a fresh install of either Windows 7 or 10. All firewalls have been switched off. 

Are you ~sure~ that's what is happening? Do you not have to authenticate with some login system before it permits connections?

As far as legality goes, the ISP owes you nothing. If it's not mandated by Ofcom (UK), then it's not likely to be a thing.

Every country has it's own communications regulator, and the internet is frequently hot-potatoed between "is this a telecom service (and thus we aren't permitted to block) or is this a broadcast service (thus we are required to collect fees and censor content)"

Depending on the government of the day, your country could be in nanny-state mode, and this might be an intentional blocking.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:44 PM, WereCatf said:

I had completely forgotten those stupid "child-safe" filters. Typical UK-idiocy.

Yeah because the UK only do that....

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

Have you tried setting a manual dns? try cloudflare or google (1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8), your phone's hotspot might have a dns that is not blocking those websites