Screen burn on Galaxy S9

Lenovo1984

Reduce brightness and avoid static content.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

This.  Of course you could always do what I did.  Shatter your screen and spend $200+ to get it replaced.  No more screen burn! 

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Also make sure you have the auto screen off set, I had wicked burn in on my S6 because for some reason it wouldn't go off while YouTube was open (which I left open several nights)

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I should have put more info in the original post. I don't have static content on my screen (other than the status bar), and I usually use a lower brightness. 

My keyboard is totally burned in on my note 8. 3 years of use. bound to happen. i just live with it

4 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

My keyboard is totally burned in on my note 8. 3 years of use. bound to happen. i just live with it

Yeah, I know people with a completely burned in keyboard. My S9 doesnt have that. 

On 10/29/2019 at 7:50 AM, Lenovo1984 said:

I have been using a Samsung Galaxy S9 since August of 2018. The phone still works great, and I don't think I will need an upgrade for a while, but I have noticed a bit of a problem lately. There seems to be small amounts of OLED burn in on various parts of the display. Is there something I can do to slow this down? 

Nope. You can turn the brightness down or make the power management more aggressive so it turns it off after several seconds, but once OLED starts doing this, it quickly escalates. 

This is why I don't recommend OLED devices to begin with, but sometimes that can be migitated by making sure that when you play games or use programs (eg SUBWAY's app) that you immediately close the app when you're not using it. In the case of the Subway app, if you forget to close it, it will leave the screen brightness on max and generate a lot of heat in your pocket if left on the QR code screen. Always make sure you lock the screen manually when you put it back in your pockets.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:50 AM, Lenovo1984 said:

I have been using a Samsung Galaxy S9 since August of 2018. The phone still works great, and I don't think I will need an upgrade for a while, but I have noticed a bit of a problem lately. There seems to be small amounts of OLED burn in on various parts of the display. Is there something I can do to slow this down? 

You can try using adaptive brightness if you're not already using it, and change the settings so the screen shuts off after like 1min. You got insurance? File a claim. If you don't try hitting up Samsung, you're a a few months removed from the warranty (assuming it was new in August of 2018) but sometimes if you're upset enough they'll fix it for you without a deductible.

On 10/30/2019 at 2:50 PM, Kisai said:

Nope. You can turn the brightness down or make the power management more aggressive so it turns it off after several seconds, but once OLED starts doing this, it quickly escalates. 

This is why I don't recommend OLED devices to begin with, but sometimes that can be migitated by making sure that when you play games or use programs (eg SUBWAY's app) that you immediately close the app when you're not using it. In the case of the Subway app, if you forget to close it, it will leave the screen brightness on max and generate a lot of heat in your pocket if left on the QR code screen. Always make sure you lock the screen manually when you put it back in your pockets.

Kind of agree, from the viewpoint of an individual that keeps devices for a long time. Not sure if this is resolved in software, but uneven wear of the differing subpixels can also cause color shifting over time as well.

MicroLED really needs to be a thing soon.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…