One hinge not enough for you? How about two? TCL unveils trifold phone.

williamcll
On 10/24/2019 at 11:44 PM, Bacon soup said:

I want smaller phones!!! I dont want to walk around with a large block of glass!

Agreed, the Note and phones that size are just too damn big. The idea that manufactures are now focusing their efforts to make foldable tablets for your pocket is a neat idea but not overly practical as a daily driver. 

On 10/24/2019 at 11:48 PM, FezBoy said:

Oh yay, more points of failure!

@Bacon soup Allow me to introduce the motorola razr 2019

Motorola-Razr-2019-concept-1.jpg

People are all ready to call this phone a total flop before it even releases and sure it could be the case. But I think Motorola is on the right track to be honest. It utilizes foldable technology to minimize its physical foot print while maximizing screen ratio and prioritizing mobility. The Razr may be a stepping stone, but it's one in the right directing IMO.

36 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

manufactures are now focusing their efforts to make

* phones more fragile

The last thing I want is a phone twice as thick as it is now.

I'm fine adding a couple of milimeters in thickness, but not more.

I don't need a bigger screen either.

22 hours ago, floofer said:

Oatmeal and raisins are delicious and so are phones with no headphone jack.

What happened to having a second USB-C port for a headphone jack?

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

1 hour ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

or a Headphone jack power cable combo

✨FNIGE✨

On 10/26/2019 at 6:12 PM, Caroline said:

Thankfully I don't see anyone hating on my phone for not having a jack.

872_01.jpg

I have an old samsung with a proprietary charge + remote jack, and yeah, it is a PAIN. Complaints were there, but as there was little standard for phone + remote + mic setups, they all went proprietary (I had one of those Sony Ericsson's, and the clips ALWAYS broke, really annoying vs headphone jack that will only break if you put a rhino against it!).

On 10/27/2019 at 2:40 AM, Ehmc130 said:

Agreed, the Note and phones that size are just too damn big. The idea that manufactures are now focusing their efforts to make foldable tablets for your pocket is a neat idea but not overly practical as a daily driver. 

People are all ready to call this phone a total flop before it even releases and sure it could be the case. But I think Motorola is on the right track to be honest. It utilizes foldable technology to minimize its physical foot print while maximizing screen ratio and prioritizing mobility. The Razr may be a stepping stone, but it's one in the right directing IMO.

My Note 9 is not big enough. XD

On 10/26/2019 at 9:40 PM, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

That would defeat the purpose of removing it.  The only benefit to doing so is it frees up some extra room in the phone.  What anyone is doing with it and whether it's ever worth it is unclear as it's not like it's really that big, but that's the only advantage.

Don't confuse that with the only reason though, reasons include wanting to force people to buy wireless headphones they didn't need or want when they already had perfectly good options.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:48 AM, FezBoy said:

motorola razr 2019

Motorola-Razr-2019-concept-1.jpg

I know that usually quoting images is a no-no, but I hope you can let this one slide (or if it is just not acceptable at all, please remove the image and give me a warning for the future). 

Personally I do not care about folding phones right now (I mean, I can see how trifold phone having the option of basically turning a phone into a tablet and how that could be useful for many people, but I am one of those, that never ever found tablets useful for me at all anyway) and I even openly dislike the concept of phone having touchscreen on both front and back, that's just a no for me. I like having big screen to body ratio and all, but I want to have one safe side on which I can put my phone on, without worrying about damaging it (either by using a phone case or even without phone case, I really do not exactly mind microcuts on the plastic backside of the phone, however damaging the actual screen? Hell no!).

But this one and I am not sure if it is only a concept or actually planned to release in the future, that looks like an awesome usage of foldable screen technology. Obviously any moving parts are always an additional point of failure, but I do not need my phone to last 10 years, so if it would break in 5 years due to the fold? Oh well, by then there will be tons of new technologies and so on for me to be able to accept getting a new phone at that time.

I am totally being subjective about this, because I absolutely loved the old motorola razr phones from back then. There was even about half a year or so when one of my smartphones broke and I dug the razr out of storage and totally enjoyed it even without the smart functions I was used to already.

Not to mention this actually seems really smart on the front of having a big screen when used but small enough when closed for just about any kind of pocket to fit easily.

What I want in a phone:  ?

1. much thicker, 3 times thicker is better than 2. I want a brick in my pants pocket so all the ladies will be staring at me.

2. another point of failure

3. much larger screen so when I listen to music with the phone in my pocket I can pretend it's better.  And when texting having a much larger screen to ignore is also nice.

What I do not want:

1. Optical zoom camera (x5)

2. better larger battery 

3. headphone jack

</sarcasm mode off>

Seriously, just take my phone and add a x5 optical zoom and somehow make the battery bigger and I'd be thrilled.

I'll be the last person to buy a thicker phone.  I don't care about a phone being razor thin, but I sure as hell don't want a foldable, twice or thrice a sthick phone, with no headphone jack.

You can never have too much hinges and folds. 

https://getyarn.io/yarn-story/5ae9ab5f-2dc5-4d4e-bcf8-6adac222f4f8#BknpoA-h5r.copy

Geez, this took so long for just a joke.

I'm greatly above potato, but I'm getting there...

Midrange Potato LVL 60:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 with Snowman MT-6 Dual Fans (CPU @ 3.8 GHz - 4.375 GHz to 4.5 GHz @ 1.1V - 1.35V),

MOBO: MSI B550-A Pro
GPU: Asrock RX 5600 XT Phantom Gaming D3 (1820MHz core @930mV)

RAM: TeamGroup T-Force Delta DDR4 Gaming 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz 16-17-17-37-58 @ 1.35V,

HARD DRIVE: WD 1TB Blue 
SSD: Toshiba XG5 Series NVMe 512GB (KXG50GVN512G) & Crucial MX500 1TB

CASE: DeepCool Kendomen Titanium case
PSU: Corsair RM-750 (2019) 80+ Gold

Display: Asus VP249QGR via HDMI (144Hz)

Keyboard: Generic PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse: Generic Honeycomb 250Hz Mouse
Speakers: Generic Headset

And yes, there are now fans. 5 Arctic P12 PST's

Userbenchmark Run: 
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25234338 I don't trust that site anymore

Lets just skip ahead to retinal implants and I will be happy.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

quadfold phone when???

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh