[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

5 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

and to confuse everyone

old focus platinum: PX
new focus platinum: PX

This is incorrect.

Old focus platinum:

"Focus Plus 850/750 Platinum" (Old series name=Focus Plus Platinum)

New focus platinum:

"Focus PX-750/850" (etc).

You're confusing the product name (OneSeasonic series name) and the "Safety model name".  SSR-850PX  The safety model name hasn't changed.

So don't go by the safety model name.

So to get the new model, you look for "Focus PX-750" and so on.

9 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

This is incorrect.

Old focus platinum:

"Focus Plus 850/750 Platinum" (Old series name=Focus Plus Platinum)

New focus platinum:

"Focus PX-750/850" (etc).

You're confusing the product name (OneSeasonic series name) and the "Safety model name".  SSR-850PX  The safety model name hasn't changed.

So don't go by the safety model name.

So to get the new model, you look for "Focus PX-750" and so on.

I.e it's ... correct ?

Old Focus Platinum had PX model suffix, new Platinum rated Focus called 'Focus PX' has PX suffix too. It hasn't changed in comparison with Gold rated Focus where it went from FM\FX to GM\GX, they could've changed model suffix to PX2 or smth or just nuke Platinum Focus altogether since it has no reason to exist but it's Seasonic. They did exactly that before with Gold rated X series, changing platform internally and retaining a model name with KM suffix.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

I.e it's ... correct ?

Old Focus Platinum had PX model suffix, new Platinum rated Focus called 'Focus PX' has PX suffix too. It hasn't changed in comparison with Gold rated Focus where it went from FM\FX to GM\GX, they could've changed model suffix to PX2 or smth or just nuke Platinum Focus altogether since it has no reason to exist but it's Seasonic.

Don't look for the model name.

This is what I bought a few weeks ago.  Pay attention to the naming scheme.

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-prime-ultra-platinum-ssr-1000pd-1000w/p/N82E16817151200?Item=N82E16817151200

The old version would have been called "Prime Ultra Platinum"

Now it's called directly on the box "Prime PX-1000".  

This should make it much more self explanatory.

So the new focus series is called directly "Focus PX-850" right on the front of the box.

The old one was called Focus 850 Platinum.

13 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Don't look for the model name.

That's not a very wise way to buy a PSU, the same series with exactly same name on the box could actually have PSUs with different model names and internals. There's not much such examples in Seasonic lineup besides the one i've mentioned above already (X Gold KM), probably only M12II \ M12II Evo which has units with GM \ GM2 suffix and X20W wattages (620W being top one) and AM \ AM2 suffix with wattages X50W (starting from 650W), and these are completely different inside. Yes, wattages are different but it's easier to just look at model suffix and this might not be always the case with other lineups (Seasonic at least makes an effort to change a wattage a bit to indicate platform change). Other examples are Corsair PSUs which you could also distinguish by the label color for the most part but again, it's not very reliable way to do that because retailers could've reused a picture from different lineup with the same name not knowing better, same as with Seasonic PSUs too for that matter. Whereas seeing a model number you instantly know what exactly you're buying (assuming retailer didn't fuck that up too).

2 hours ago, Juular said:

That's not a very wise way to buy a PSU, the same series with exactly same name on the box could actually have PSUs with different model names and internals. There's not much such examples in Seasonic lineup besides the one i've mentioned above already (X Gold KM), probably only M12II \ M12II Evo which has units with GM \ GM2 suffix and X20W wattages (620W being top one) and AM \ AM2 suffix with wattages X50W (starting from 650W), and these are completely different inside. Yes, wattages are different but it's easier to just look at model suffix and this might not be always the case with other lineups (Seasonic at least makes an effort to change a wattage a bit to indicate platform change). Other examples are Corsair PSUs which you could also distinguish by the label color for the most part but again, it's not very reliable way to do that because retailers could've reused a picture from different lineup with the same name not knowing better, same as with Seasonic PSUs too for that matter. Whereas seeing a model number you instantly know what exactly you're buying (assuming retailer didn't fuck that up too).

That's part of the problem you're complaining about.

The model name didn't change between original units and fixed units.

The brand name did.

And I was forced to do what I did. Prime PX-1000 is the correct thing.  The original Prime Platinum Ultra only had six PCIE/CPU connectors.  Oklahoma Wolf reviewed that one and mentioned he didn't like that.  The revised version "Prime PX-1000" has 8 CPU/PCIE connectors and 6 non-split PCIE cables.

It's all right here.  So I did the correct thing.  If I had searched for Prime Ultra Platinum, or, as you suggested, the model safety name "

SSR-1000PD", I could have easily gotten the older unit.  In fact that's what I originally found.  But when I did Prime PX-1000, I got the correct one.

https://seasonic.com/oneseasonic

21 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

"Prime PX-1000"

The heck ? So new 'OneSeasonic' stuff has old model numbers on them ? So say 550W Focus GX has GX-550, uh, smth on the box and then old SSR-550FX model name too lol ? Apparently it was too costly to recertify a lineup with new suffixes ? Seasonic, you went full retard ...

Exactly how good are the Seasonic prime gx, px and tx power supplies? Is the build quality for the new Prime series in any different from the Prime Ultra series?

1 hour ago, ZeRedz said:

Exactly how good are the Seasonic prime gx, px and tx power supplies? Is the build quality for the new Prime series in any different from the Prime Ultra series?

They are top notch PSU's.  LTT simply doesn't favor them because they want multi-rail 12v lines at the top tier due to OCP/OVP issues. But there's nothing wrong with them.

1 hour ago, ZeRedz said:

they're internally the same as the old Prime series

45 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

they're internally the same as the old Prime series

The Prime PX-1000 has extra PCIE connectors that the Prime Ultra Platinum did not have (8 CPU/PCIE connectors with 6 single 6+2 PCIE cables+2 EPS12v).  Previously only the old Titanium had all the ports on the back filled.  Since the connections are there, it can't be 100% the exact same internally.  There don't seem to be any reviews of the updated chassis anywhere, however.  All the reviews on the net show the 6 connector version.

4 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Since the connections are there, it can't be 100% the exact same internally.

Clearly the modular daughterboard isn't being considered as an internal segment. Or at least, not enough of one to count it in internal comparisons. Anyway, in all other ways, these models are indeed identical.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Wouldn't this be an S-Tier PSU: https://seasonic.com/prime-snow-silent (white version of Prime Ultra Titanium 750w 80+)?

On pcpartspicker my soon to build system is estimated to use 566W, so my question is would the above mentioned PSU be overkill (CPU OC to 5.2GHz, 9900KS, 1.35v).

GPU: 3080Ti, but let's run with a GTX 2080Ti for discussion sake with node gains and OC aside, what would be the absolute best PSU I can get in terms of efficiency (let's say it's on 16h per day).

Leaving money aside as that isn't an issue, I'm trying to find a white PSU as I'll use Thermaltake H200 TG RGB and there's a cut-out that makes the PSU visible.

If anyone have the case, did you try and fit a 360mm radiator infront since their website says 3x 120mm fans will fit, but then under radiator it says 280mm...

All in all should I get a 600w PSU, 650W or will the 750W above function optimally with CPU+GPU OC'd?

2 minutes ago, Shinta said:

Wouldn't this be an S-Tier PSU: https://seasonic.com/prime-snow-silent (white version of Prime Ultra Titanium 750w 80+)?

no? tier a+ and a require a multirail ocp, which outside of nzxt e isn't found on any modern seasonic psu

3 minutes ago, Shinta said:

All in all should I get a 600w PSU, 650W or will the 750W above function optimally with CPU+GPU OC'd?

you'd be fine with a 650w of similar quality here

6 minutes ago, Shinta said:

Wouldn't this be an S-Tier PSU: https://seasonic.com/prime-snow-silent

No, because single-rail.

6 minutes ago, Shinta said:

On pcpartspicker my soon to build system is estimated to use 566W, so my question is would the above mentioned PSU be overkill (CPU OC to 5.2GHz, 9900KS, 1.35v).

GPU: 3080Ti, but let's run with a GTX 2080Ti for discussion sake with node gains and OC aside, what would be the absolute best PSU I can get in terms of efficiency (let's say it's on 16h per day).

For gaming ? Kinda. For rendering or other workloads with high simultaneous load on CPU and GPU - not really, right on spot in fact (not to mention that we don't know the powerdraw for RTX3080Ti but lets assume it would be comparable to current generation or slightly higher). And if you really want a white PSU there are very few other choices, maybe only old Corsair RMx.

@Juular
So like im using the riotoro enigma g2 PSU. Sometimes when i restart my pc(its only happened 2 times, once when i turned on xmp and once when i restarted for chipset driver) it shuts itself down completely then after like 2-3 seconds it turns itself on and it's normal. Also this morning when i powered it on after like 4 seconds it turned itself off and then after 2-3 seconds it turned itself on and boom normal operation. Sometimes it doesnt do this sometimes it does(in the 3 situations i just mentioned)

I really wanna know why it happens, its completely fine in windows.

1 hour ago, NeptuneIX said:

@Juular
So like im using the riotoro enigma g2 PSU. Sometimes when i restart my pc(its only happened 2 times, once when i turned on xmp and once when i restarted for chipset driver) it shuts itself down completely then after like 2-3 seconds it turns itself on and it's normal. Also this morning when i powered it on after like 4 seconds it turned itself off and then after 2-3 seconds it turned itself on and boom normal operation. Sometimes it doesnt do this sometimes it does(in the 3 situations i just mentioned)

I really wanna know why it happens, its completely fine in windows.

That's likely motherboard 'issue' or rather it's just motherboard retraining DRAM on startup, it's normal.

45 minutes ago, Juular said:

That's likely motherboard 'issue' or rather it's just motherboard retraining DRAM on startup, it's normal.

oh yeah, i DO have new ram as well so it might just be that

10 minutes ago, NeptuneIX said:

oh yeah, i DO have new ram as well so it might just be that

You can try to tweak RAM OC profile, it's likely that motherboard can't run it at exact values XMP profile defines and tries smth different, hence restart.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

You can try to tweak RAM OC profile, it's likely that motherboard can't run it at exact values XMP profile defines and tries smth different, hence restart.

Restart? No no, it doesnt randomly restart. It's completely fine in windows and works at the XMP timings fine, i dont rly mind if it shuts down and turns itself on when i restart/turn it on sometimes

4 minutes ago, NeptuneIX said:

Restart? No no, it doesnt randomly restart. It's completely fine in windows and works at the XMP timings fine, i dont rly mind if it shuts down and turns itself on when i restart/turn it on sometimes

Restart at startup. Motherboard tries to set and use RAM timings supplied by XMP profile, it doesn't quite work out, it changes some stuff and restarts again to apply that.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Restart at startup. Motherboard tries to set and use RAM timings supplied by XMP profile, it doesn't quite work out, it changes some stuff and restarts again to apply that.

Meh idk, its done 3 times now. Once when i applied xmp and exited bios, once when i restart for chipset driver installation and this morning.
Honestly it doesn't bother me i was just curious tbh lol
As for the PSU the cables are really thick lol, like it was so hard to bend them it was honestly a pain setting it all up...
Btw which mode is the best? There's a button at the back but i accidentally clicked it a bunch when i was setting it up, i decided to have the button turned off(yknow when its protruding out)

12 minutes ago, NeptuneIX said:

Btw which mode is the best? There's a button at the back but i accidentally clicked it a bunch when i was setting it up, i decided to have the button turned off(yknow when its protruding out)

Uh, 'Silent' - in-between mode probably, when it still spins the fan at low RPMs even at low load, that should be better for hydrodynamic fans to keep the grease from escaping the bearing chamber eventually if it sits there still for too long.

2 hours ago, Juular said:

Uh, 'Silent' - in-between mode probably, when it still spins the fan at low RPMs even at low load, that should be better for hydrodynamic fans to keep the grease from escaping the bearing chamber eventually if it sits there still for too long.

Can i press the button even when the PC is on?