[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

21 hours ago, Juular said:

Yes, Focus GX, GM and PX (just PX, not Plus Platinum) don't have these issues. Note that these new revisions still have FX, FM, PX suffixes in the model number, i.e Focus GX is called GX on the box but model number on the side of the box or on the PSU label will still be SSR-[W]FX.

Thanks for this.

I had purchased back in August one of those 750w Gigabyte units, to replace an over 5 years old AX850. I now grabbed one of the Focus GX-850 from Seasonic. It even has a card inside the box informing the buyer that they removed anything with cloth etc from the package due to Covid with a date of March 2020.

I think I'll just mount this on the new machine, put the AX850 from Corsair to my daughters computer and put the Gigabyte G750H out for sale... 

I had never skimped on my PSU, did it for the first time and I have never been so afraid my whole life in regards to it blowing up or something lol.

Relatively new to the forum. So I have a 6 yr old SX600-G PSU. I have done troubleshooting and have come to the conclusion that it is oveheating. I know this because it shutsdown whenever I start a game and the case of the PSU under the PCB is warm.

I never noticed the heat it generates because no hot air comes out of it during the 6 years it was installed on a Raven RVZ01.

Now that I am running it on open bench and after I have replaced the thermal pad under the PCB and now it is able to run workloads like games again. I notice that the case of the PSU is significantly warm. I would say it reached 50 to 55C on extreme cases, Is this normal?  Still no hot air comes out of through the exhaust though.

I am on the fence on buying a new PSU because if I were to buy one, I would want an 800W or 850W SFX psu.  The v850 sfx is nowhere to be found at the moment :(

Soooo. I'd like to stick to this PSU as long as I could. Current Specs of my PC as follows too
i5 4690k @ 3.7GHz

Maximus VII impact
1x SSD
Asus GTX1080 Strix @ 2Ghz

Hello, I recently started having problems with my PSU with a 3080 causing spikes triggering OCP. There is a big special on v1000 gold (I think its 2015 one) and v1200 platinum (I think its also 2015) from CoolerMaster. Would it be an alright Idea to buy an PSU that is 5 years old? I checked with a watt meter and my pc pulls up to 650W and triggers OCP(Turns off) randomly but always under stress tests within 2min. Is cooler master good? Also a RM850 costs the same as the v1200 plat and v1000 gold is 20% cheaper. I currently have SS-750 KM 3

23 minutes ago, TristanJ said:

Hello, I recently started having problems with my PSU with a 3080 causing spikes triggering OCP. There is a big special on v1000 gold (I think its 2015 one) and v1200 platinum (I think its also 2015) from CoolerMaster. Would it be an alright Idea to buy an PSU that is 5 years old? I checked with a watt meter and my pc pulls up to 650W and triggers OCP(Turns off) randomly but always under stress tests within 2min. Is cooler master good? Also a RM850 costs the same as the v1200 plat and v1000 gold is 20% cheaper. I currently have SS-750 KM 3

NO, it wouldn't.

Just get something like an RM 850W.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

5 hours ago, Phantasia said:

and put the Gigabyte G750H out for sale... 

I had never skimped on my PSU, did it for the first time and I have never been so afraid my whole life in regards to it blowing up or something lol.

It isn't that bad, a decent budget unit, P-GM is a different story ...

4 hours ago, ricsonc said:

I would want an 800W or 850W SFX psu.

Why ? You don't need 850W for SFX build because if you do, you're doing it wrong ... Just get a good 600-750W PSU.

2 hours ago, TristanJ said:

Also a RM850 costs the same as the v1200 plat and v1000 gold is 20% cheaper. I currently have SS-750 KM 3

Both V Gold 1000W and V Plat 1200W are basically the same PSU as you currently have. Also, PSU tripping issues with Ampere aren't necessarily because of OCP, so given that they're the same, just higher wattage may not help. I'd recommend to look for something like Corsair RM-x 750W too (or a dozen of other decent options depending on what's available to you).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Both V Gold 1000W and V Plat 1200W are basically the same PSU as you currently have. Also, PSU tripping issues with Ampere aren't necessarily because of OCP, so given that they're the same, just higher wattage may not help. I'd recommend to look for something like Corsair RM-x 750W too (or a dozen of other decent options depending on what's available to you).

Oh okay, I see. Well I looked around (I will add prices in brackets its in Rand) and I have the normal RM850 (2459), Antec High Current Gamer 850W(2230), Antec High Current Gamer 1000W Extreme (2814), The v1000 (2000) and v1200 (2500) for the higher watt ones. Then Super Flower Leadex 3(1850) and 1 750w(1750). The other corsair 750w's is just as expensive as all of the other 850/1000w's I mentioned. There is a 860w ion+ fractal design(2150) one coming in Jan but it so long from now. I dont mind paying more if it is the correct choice but I dont want to pay for something worse even though its more expensive. What do you think is the best pick?

New to the forum and trying to make a new system after years.

Is CORSAIR CP-9020195-EU RM SERIES RM750 - 750W 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFIED FULLY MODULAR worth it?

amd 3600 probably and 5700xt i guess for some 2k monitor.

10 hours ago, TristanJ said:

Oh okay, I see. Well I looked around (I will add prices in brackets its in Rand) and I have the normal RM850 (2459), Antec High Current Gamer 850W(2230), Antec High Current Gamer 1000W Extreme (2814), The v1000 (2000) and v1200 (2500) for the higher watt ones. Then Super Flower Leadex 3(1850) and 1 750w(1750). The other corsair 750w's is just as expensive as all of the other 850/1000w's I mentioned. There is a 860w ion+ fractal design(2150) one coming in Jan but it so long from now. I dont mind paying more if it is the correct choice but I dont want to pay for something worse even though its more expensive. What do you think is the best pick?

So SF Leadex III is cheapest ? Go for it then.

7 hours ago, gio23 said:

New to the forum and trying to make a new system after years.

Is CORSAIR CP-9020195-EU RM SERIES RM750 - 750W 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFIED FULLY MODULAR worth it?

amd 3600 probably and 5700xt i guess for some 2k monitor.

Worth it over what ? Over RM-x ? No. Over smth like CX ? Yes.

1 hour ago, Juular said:

So SF Leadex III is cheapest ? Go for it then.

Okay and if I want a 850w or more which of the other option are the best? I sent a mail to SSeasonic regarding the shut off and they recommended me to take a 850W as they said ampere 3080s can spike up to 500W and more if its a overclocked.

13 hours ago, Juular said:

Why ? You don't need 850W for SFX build because if you do, you're doing it wrong ... Just get a good 600-750W PSU.

Thanks! Because the V850 SFX is a bit cheaper and has longer warranty than Corsair SF750 where I am.

Still concerned about the heat I am geting from the PSU in the 1st place. If it were normal then I would postpone my PSU upgrade. I do not have a 3080 or a powerful CPU at the moment anyway.

Currently CX550 out of stock in my country. I almost buy NeoEco Zen Gold because it was in B-tier, but suddenly now in C-tier. So, now i'm looking for CX550 alternative and i found Seasonic Core GC 500w for $77. Is it worth? I'm afraid if soon it moves to lower tier.
Specification:

- Ryzen 5 3400G

- 2x4 GB DDR4-3000

- WD Blue 250 GB NVMe

- MSI B450M Pro-VDH Max

Maybe soon i'll upgrade to 5600x and mid-range GPU, so i think i'll need good B-tier PSU. Thanks.

ended up getting the bitfenix 650w formula gold, hope its better than the two previous psus i bought

Hi All,

Been looking at the list a fair bit recently to make my decision on forthcoming PSU upgrade, however I was slightly confused by this:

• be quiet! | Straight Power 11 Gold / Platinum

Looking at prices in the UK for these, the platinum is only £5 more than the gold unit, but the gold unit is apparently classed as better (i.e. best in tier) versus the platinum? Anyone know what the difference is as I don't see why you wouldn't spend the extra £5 for the platinum unit? 

1 hour ago, Bouncewasp said:

i don't see why you wouldn't spend the extra £5 for the platinum unit? 

Gold version performs better, which isn't surprising since efficiency certification is just an efficiency certification and doesn't reflect performance or quality at all.

In the A tier, there is a 1000-M PSU from Rosewill, but I dont find it on their website, only the 1000-MS, is this the same unit? 

https://www.rosewill.com/product/rosewill-bronze-series-rbr-1000ms-continuous-1000w40c-power-supply/

12 minutes ago, Raph8520 said:

In the A tier, there is a 1000-M PSU from Rosewill, but I dont find it on their website, only the 1000-MS, is this the same unit? 

https://www.rosewill.com/product/rosewill-bronze-series-rbr-1000ms-continuous-1000w40c-power-supply/

That's an entry for old Capstone with the SKU code 'CAPSTONE 1000-M', this one :

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2014/07/14/rosewill-capstone-1000m-1000w-power-supply/

And it was supposed to be moved to tier C in the previous revision ...

We don't have any info on the new revision.

9 minutes ago, Juular said:

That's an entry for old Capstone with the SKU code 'CAPSTONE 1000-M', this one :

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2014/07/14/rosewill-capstone-1000m-1000w-power-supply/

And it was supposed to be moved to tier C in the previous revision ...

We don't have any info on the new revision.

I'm receiving one in the mail today (Yay newegg bundles...) and was wondering wether to use it or my rm750x (2018) gold... Paired with a RTX3080 gaming x trio (3 pcie 8 pins), I'd have to use one of the cables for 2 of the power connectors if I use my rmx. Ideas ?

Also, I can gladly open it up and provide pictures if that would interest someone.

51 minutes ago, Raph8520 said:

I'm receiving one in the mail today (Yay newegg bundles...) and was wondering wether to use it or my rm750x (2018) gold... Paired with a RTX3080 gaming x trio (3 pcie 8 pins), I'd have to use one of the cables for 2 of the power connectors if I use my rmx. Ideas ?

Definitely RM-x (well, at least until we don't know what is that Capstone is), using one cable for two 8-pins shouldn't be an issue in this case.

52 minutes ago, Raph8520 said:

Also, I can gladly open it up and provide pictures if that would interest someone.

If you're willing to give up your warranty (even though technically in US you can't enforce that, i don't think this works in the reality), sure, that would be helpful.

Where would an AresGame psu be ranked on this? I have a 650w from them. Seems to be working well.

3 hours ago, ZonalThrone said:

Where would an AresGame psu be ranked on this? I have a 650w from them. Seems to be working well.

There are zero teardowns of them online, we don't even know who makes them.

So the Phanteks Revolt X... I'm not clear on how this is labelled.  Is it saying that exclusively the Revolt Pros are having issues with Ampere cards or that the Revolt X's are as well?

2 minutes ago, TheBlueJoo said:

So the Phanteks Revolt X... I'm not clear on how this is labelled.  Is it saying that exclusively the Revolt Pros are having issues with Ampere cards or that the Revolt X's are as well?

It's the Revolt Pro that were manufactured prior to January 2018, since it's uses the Seasonic Focus platform (don't remember if just a rebranded Seasonic FX or if they modified it at all). Those manufactured after Jan 2018 don't have this problem with the revision of the FX (now it's based of the GX).

In any case, there will be no problems with the Revolt X since that is using the Seasonic PRIME platform, which didn't have those issues.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

Just now, MrBrightSyde said:

It's the Revolt Pro that were manufactured prior to January 2018, since it's uses the Seasonic Focus platform (don't remember if just a rebranded Seasonic FX or if they modified it at all). Those manufactured after Jan 2018 don't have this problem with the revision of the FX (now it's based of the GX).

In any case, there will be no problems with the Revolt X since that is using the Seasonic PRIME platform, which didn't have those issues.

Thank you so much!  I picked up one of these on amazon for just over $200 and had a panic attack when I saw the note on here!