Minor rant. I really want to know more about navi21 in consoles

Bombastinator

My gtx970 is starting to not play games I want to play.  Not merely at nice sizes, but at all.(Breathedge in particular I can’t make work even with legacy compatibility options)  I could buy a 5700/5700xt and solve the problem, but if it won’t handle an Xbox or PlayStation 5 game it becomes junk upon their arrival, and that could be as little as 6 months away. Consoles IMHO control what hardware game systems need.  Whatever the navi21 apu in these upcoming consoles does is going to be the new minimum, and there is no data.  I don’t know if a 5700xt will even do it.  I don’t know if a 2080ti will do it.

i literally can’t buy a new GPU at all until I find out more about these things, and there is no information available.  It’s very very frustrating.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I really want to know more about navi21 in consoles

You and half the tech-industry. Just suck it up and wait until there's more information to be had.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Navi 21 is a custom made chip with ray tracing support inside a custom 8 core cpu.

It should come in desktop next year with Navi 23.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-navi-23-21-high-end-gpus-2020-rumor/

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My gtx970 is starting to not play games I want to play.  Not merely at nice sizes, but at all.(Breathedge in particular I can’t make work even with legacy compatibility options)  

the min requirements for that game is a GTX 660, so the 970 isn't too old to play it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

the min requirements for that game is a GTX 660, so the 970 isn't too old to play it.

That’s what theyre listed as anyway.  Reality appears to be different.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

That’s what theyre listed as anyway.  Reality appears to be different.

the GTX 970 still gets driver updates, so it's current gen software wise. You might just have a driver problem

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Navi 21 is a custom made chip with ray tracing support inside a custom 8 core cpu.

It should come in desktop next year with Navi 23.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-navi-23-21-high-end-gpus-2020-rumor/

Yeah, that’s the aug9th stuff that came out when navi10 did.  Not much data since that is of any use.  There was a blurb from Xbox claiming they would increase core and memory count on their systems to be bigger than Sony. Don’t know how true it actually was.  The hardware raytracing is the big unknown atm.  Will it be operation critical or just minimal eye candy?  If it’s operation critical it might still be software emulatable, but what will the hardware hit be for that?  Real pics of the PlayStation 5 dev kit came out and there’s a heckuva lot of airflow there.  High heat means high power.

32 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

the GTX 970 still gets driver updates, so it's current gen software wise. You might just have a driver problem

I might.  Checking..

update: gigabyte hasn’t updated their drivers since 2017 and I could possibly be linked to them.  Downloaded newest from nvidia.  They loaded but GeForce experience login seems horrendously buggy.  Click windows are waaaay off and I can’t seem to get past their “I am not a robot” even though I pass it.

Yeah, that’s the aug9th stuff that came out when navi10 did.  Not much data since that is of any use.  There was a blurb from Xbox claiming they would increase core and memory count on their systems to be bigger than Sony. Don’t know how true it actually was.  The hardware raytracing is the big unknown atm.  Will it be operation critical or just minimal eye candy?  If it’s operation critical it might still be software emulatable, but what will the hardware hit be for that?  Real pics of the PlayStation 5 dev kit came out and there’s a heckuva lot of airflow there.  High heat means high power.

Hardware raytracing is the one of the most important feature in the next gen consoles. It is confirmed. Both ps and xbox will have it hard coded inside the cpu.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

44 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Gave up on the buggy GeForce experience login and just tried the game.  Works now!  U ROK!

serious stupid on my part.  I assumed gigabyte would be keeping up drivers.

Lower game resolution or turn down the game settings to play them games.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I might.  Checking..

update: gigabyte hasn’t updated their drivers since 2017 and I could possibly be linked to them.  Downloaded newest from nvidia.  They loaded but GeForce experience login seems horrendously buggy.  Click windows are waaaay off and I can’t seem to get past their “I am not a robot” even though I pass it.

Don't use GeForce experience, it is a piece of crap.  Just install the drivers by themselves

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

13 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Hardware raytracing is the one of the most important feature in the next gen consoles. It is confirmed. Both ps and xbox will have it hard coded inside the cpu.

The whole point behind going to an amd64 system though was to leverage amd64 so they could get PC games on their systems.  This means it can be written around.  There could well be hellacious overhead.  There are software raytracing things out now.  AMD even released one.  The overhead is indeed hellacious.  If a Navi 21 runs even half as fast as a 5700xt it will beat it cold.

8 hours ago, FezBoy said:

Don't use GeForce experience, it is a piece of crap.  Just install the drivers by themselves

It was the worst gui I’ve seen in a very long time.

8 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Lower game resolution or turn down the game settings to play them games.

Tried that.  Wouldn’t even load.  Turned out to be old drivers though so I’m an idiot.  Nothing to see here folks.  Just an old man who got himself stuck in his fly.

Edited by LogicalDrm
Several subsequent posts merged