Phones with face unlock

Alesek

Hi all,

I am looking for an android phone with a 3d face unlock because I do not have fingerprints due to rock climbing and I am sick of having to enter my pin all the time. I was going to buy a Pixel 4xl but the phone looks very disappointing for the price.

Are there any android phones with a secure face unlock? I wouldnt count all the face unlocks with only front facing camera as secure.

Please do not suggest iphones as even though it is probably the best option atm, I do not want to get used to iOS and my galaxy watch wouldnt work with it well.

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

iPhone. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

24 minutes ago, Alesek said:

Are there any android phones with a secure face unlock?

imo, samsung s10  is good enough, at least no bad news so far

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

samsung s10  is good enough, at least no bad news so far

That just uses the camera

1 hour ago, Alesek said:

Are there any android phones with a secure face unlock? I wouldnt count all the face unlocks with only front facing camera as secure.

Not really, some have attempted it but none have come close to Apples FaceID. I dont know of a single android phone that allows face unlock to be used for mobile payments (even if you have no interest in using your phone for mobile payments its a good way of showing how secure it is). 

The pixel 4xl face unlock is a joke because it works even if you're asleep, I think Huawei tried to mimic Face ID on the Mate phones but I don't know how secure that ended up being. 

Apple is still your best bet for secure facial unlocking, Android manufacturers are obsessed with making it faster instead of more secure.

5 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

That just uses the camera

Not really, some have attempted it but none have come close to Apples FaceID. I dont know of a single android phone that allows face unlock to be used for mobile payments (even if you have no interest in using your phone for mobile payments its a good way of showing how secure it is). 

The pixel 4xl face unlock is a joke because it works even if you're asleep, I think Huawei tried to mimic Face ID on the Mate phones but I don't know how secure that ended up being. 

Apple is still your best bet for secure facial unlocking, Android manufacturers are obsessed with making it faster instead of more secure.

that it works even if you're sleeping is ok as if someone is stealing my phone while I am sleeping, I have bigger problems than them getting in and my gf knows my pin so won't help there either. It's more about what the pixel 4 is for the money compared to a literally any other phone...

I am really considering iphone but I don't like their closed ecosystem at all... Tough choices

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

18 minutes ago, Alesek said:

that it works even if you're sleeping is ok as if someone is stealing my phone while I am sleeping, I have bigger problems than them getting in and my gf knows my pin so won't help there either. It's more about what the pixel 4 is for the money compared to a literally any other phone...

I am really considering iphone but I don't like their closed ecosystem at all... Tough choices

I use an iPhone and I wouldnt consider any other phone anymore, before this I had 2 note 9's and an S10, I would recommend at least trying an iPhone they're pretty great nowadays

8 hours ago, Alesek said:

There are a few with secure unlock, as Huilun mentioned, but those outside of the Pixel 4 won't do Google Pay or other secure payment systems you'd find in Europe and the Americas.  And something to remember: yeah, you're not worried about anyone unlocking your phone using your face right now, but what about in the future?  What about other people?

I look at the iPhone this way: a smartphone is ultimately a launching pad, not an end into itself.  While added flexibility is nice, you ultimately want a phone that accomplishes tasks quickly, reliably and securely -- and in my experience, the iPhone generally does those things better.

20 hours ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

~snip~

12 hours ago, Commodus said:

~snip~

I would consider an iPhone if I would get a chance to try it for a week or so. I know it is not gonna work so well with other devices I have but I don't know how much extra pain it will be and I don't want to risk it.

In the end, I think I will just go with Pixel 4 XL as it is the only Android phone right now which has a decent face unlock (and hopefully will get better). It just sucks that Google thinks they know better and use below average hardware, while the phone has also some pretty dope features...

Thanks everyone for the help

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

1 hour ago, Alesek said:

I would consider an iPhone if I would get a chance to try it for a week or so. I know it is not gonna work so well with other devices I have but I don't know how much extra pain it will be and I don't want to risk it.

In the end, I think I will just go with Pixel 4 XL as it is the only Android phone right now which has a decent face unlock (and hopefully will get better). It just sucks that Google thinks they know better and use below average hardware, while the phone has also some pretty dope features...

Thanks everyone for the help

Pixel 4 is actually less secure than most android phones, did you consider something like the note 9 with the IRIS scanner?

8 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

Pixel 4 is actually less secure than most android phones, did you consider something like the note 9 with the IRIS scanner?

how is it less secure? The only issue is the closed eyes which does not bother me and Google promised to fix it in next coming months. Also, afaik most android phones can be unlocked by a photo of someone.

I did consider the iris scanner but didn't hear good things about it unfortunately

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i