Apple gets patent trolled for 2 billion $

AlexGoesHigh

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/5/5382388/ipcom-suing-apple-for-over-2-billion

pple is facing off with another patent troll. The German company IPCom is seeking damages of over $2 billion (€1.57 billion) for Apple's alleged infringement of a European patent it owns and says is essential to 3G and LTE devices. Apple and a group of other major companies — including Nokia, HTC, and Vodafone — previously challenged the patent's validity, but the European Patent Office ultimately held up a narrower version of it last month.

IPCOM IS SUING NOKIA OVER THE SAME PATENT

Though IPCom has agreed to license its patents on FRAND (fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory) terms, it's been a courtroom regular in recent years. This same patent, EP 1 841 268, has been used to sue Nokia, among others, too. The patent covers a technology that allows a device to receive priority on a network in the event of an emergency, even if the network is congested. Like many of its patents, IPCom acquired this one from another company. Its primary business is licensing these mobile communication patents to manufacturers in the industry. Companies like this, colloquially referred to as patent trolls, have become a major point of contention in the tech industry, with many — the US Congress included — working toward reform over concerns that they might stifle innovation. Another patent holding entity filed suit against Apple over its processor designs just last week.

no one is save from this assholes company's  not even the master of it. Apple

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Does anyone else get pissed off when you hear these things? I don't even care about iPhones but this patent stuff gets old.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Does anyone else get pissed off when you hear these things? I don't even care about iPhones but this patent stuff gets old.

I honestly hate Apple. The closer they are to bankruptcy, the better.

My n00Build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/NameOfNoInterest/saved/ 

Do you really expect me to know things? 

$25.67/$~2500 (Price changes hourly..) I'm 1/100th of the way there!

The irrationality that pops up whenever it comes to stuff thats either related to Apple or patents (or both) is the stain on this forum's otherwise good reputation IMO.

Just look back at all the bull that was claimed when the Mac Pro came out. Almost completely wrong, but apparently needed to exist because of the Apple logo on that thing.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

I dislike them as well but I dislike dishonest people who come up with an idea everyone has thought of but never done and patents them to make money when people actually do it. Especially when that idea is something they themselves are doing nothing with. 

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Let's send all those hard working employees to the street! Yeah! Feed their family garbage can apples!

Seriously though, I think it's dumb for trolls to go after Apple. You can't expect me to believe Apple of all people can't worm their way out of this, especially when they have the money and power to fight it unlike most companies the trolls try to hit.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I dislike them as well but I dislike dishonest people who come up with an idea everyone has thought of but never done and patents them to make money when people actually do it. Especially when that idea is something they themselves are doing nothing with. 

Well, we all have opinions. He gained $2,000,000 off of the stupidity of apple the the court system.

Let's send all those hard working employees to the street! Yeah! Feed their family garbage can apples!

Seriously though, I think it's dumb for trolls to go after Apple. You can't expect me to believe Apple of all people can't worm their way out of this, especially when they have the money and power to fight it unlike most companies the trolls try to hit.

I'm sure plenty of other phone companies would be sure to hire them and also they possibly have stock in apple which could be cashed at any time.

The irrationality that pops up whenever it comes to stuff thats either related to Apple or patents (or both) is the stain on this forum's otherwise good reputation IMO.

Just look back at all the bull that was claimed when the Mac Pro came out. Almost completely wrong, but apparently needed to exist because of the Apple logo on that thing.

idiots everywhere shall abound no matter the cost.

Given+the+rate+of+population+increment+a

Man that's just absolutely stupid. Apple revolutionized the smartphone industry, and I'm not talking about the iPhone itself. They gave an incentive for other companies to push themselves and innovate. I mean I personally got an S3 and I love it, but without Apple being a game changer in the phone industry, I'm not sure that companies such as Samsung, HTC, and Sony would have bothered to push themselves as much. We probably would still have mediocre looking fliphones.

And besides, patent trolls should just die in a hole... no exception.

I guess this is kind of karma for the whole samsung debacle, but I can't stand patent trolls in any case; seriously f 'em. Stuff like this just shows we need patent reform.

Given+the+rate+of+population+increment+a

Man that's just absolutely stupid. Apple revolutionized the smartphone industry, and I'm not talking about the iPhone itself. They gave an incentive for other companies to push themselves and innovate. I mean I personally got an S3 and I love it, but without Apple being a game changer in the phone industry, I'm not sure that companies such as Samsung, HTC, and Sony would have bothered to push themselves as much. We probably would still have mediocre looking fliphones.

And besides, patent trolls should just die in a hole... no exception.

While that may be true, I still absolutely hate Apple I dislike that the country was based off stolen ideas and lies. Even if we still had only smart phones.... who would know? Sony is owned by Apple for clarification.

While that may be true, I still absolutely hate Apple I dislike that the country was based off stolen ideas and lies. Even if we still had only smart phones.... who would know? Sony is owned by Apple for clarification.

The country was based off stolen ideas and lies?

Country?!

Apple owns Sony?

Wat?

1368731654075.gifSmoke weed everyday

Apple owns Sony?

Wat?

I also am curious if this is true.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

meh, whatever, apple getting stooged at their own game,  tell me when there is an end result and  I'll decide if I agree or not.

AS for apple being a game changer, all they did was mass market a smart phone and introduce swipe to unlock, If that's what changes the game then it is a very fragile game. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

$2M wont even be a bug on apples windshield. and didn't iPhones account for like 51% of smartphone sales in Q4 of 2013? Apple isn't going bankrupt. ever. let alone soon.

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

They deserve it.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

The country was based off stolen ideas and lies?

Country?!

Apple owns Sony?

Wat?

1368731654075.gifSmoke weed everyday

Company. I forgot how to english. But yes, Sony is owned by Apple. And also Wozniack (if thats how it is spelled) was the creator of the original Apple I but Steve Jobs 1. Stole the idea and sold it and 2. Lied to Wozniack about how much he was selling it for

$2M wont even be a bug on apples windshield. and didn't iPhones account for like 51% of smartphone sales in Q4 of 2013? Apple isn't going bankrupt. ever. let alone soon.

Even if they aren't I still don't like Apple.

Yeah no kidding. Just tightening the noose around innovation's neck.

I normally hate patent trolls, but if anyone deserves this is Apple, since they're by far the most dangerous patent troll of them all. I mean look at this thread we already got a little lecture about their "innovation" pfff.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I normally hate patent trolls, but if anyone deserves this is Apple, since they're by far the most dangerous patent troll of them all. I mean look at this thread we already got a little lecture about their "innovation" pfff.

yeahp

Yeah patent trolls suck, at the same time so do huge corporations infringing patents without a care in the world and getting away with it. Which is worse?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Less competition breads less innovation mate, its as bad as an AMD or NVidia fan boy

Intel Core i7 4770K | Gigabyte R9 290 OC 4GB Windforce Edition | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Mobo

Noctua NF-S12A FLX 120 + 140mm Fans | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | BitFenix Ghost Case

Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM-850 PSU | G. Skill Sniper 16GB (4x4GB) | AOC G2460PQU 144Hz Monitor