Do I RMA my drives?

Do I RMA my drives  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do I RMA my drives

• RMA Drive 1
    • RMA Drive 2
    • RMA both Drives
    • RMA neither Drive

Hi, I currently have 2 WD drives one of which I've already packed for an RMA, however I am not sure whether the second is worthy of an RMA as it hasn't yet failed.

The first drive was a WD 2.5" 750GB HDD of which the smart test results are shown below (please excuse me not using crystal disk or something but I just used the smart of speedfan and noticed how bad shape the drive was in that I didn't even bother installing crystal disk.)

Upon removing the first drive I was clever enough to backup all of my data to my removable HDD, due to my wonderful luck and fortune the disk seemed to go corrupt or something and the file format turned from NTFS to RAW for some reason. I then had the wonderful experience of recovering all my data (which I did, hats of to Recuva)

I then downloaded crystal disk and it is showing a caution due to the current pending sector count. Is this a suitably large enough error to RMA this drive to

Do I RMA my drives?

Disk 1: WD 2.5" 750GB HDD - pic that isn't using crystal disk

Disk 2: WD MyPassport 1TB external drive - Crystal disk pic

Thanks, TheCommentator123 

Disk Smart info.jpg

WD PASSPORT SMART.jpg

3 minutes ago, TheCommentator123 said:

it hasn't yet failed

Unless it fails some kind of hard drive test, I doubt WD will take it back

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Any time you have a drive showing bad sectors or bad pending sectors I would advise a replacement. Even if WD won't RMA it, you should still replace it.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

From the looks of it, you've got a single bad sector that's still pending remapping.

This is definitely a caution - though the drive may still last a long time (all HDD's have a certain number of spare sectors for cases like this - it's not unusual for a few bad sectors, but typically once you get some, it gets worse quickly).

I would personally try and RMA it with WDC - if they accept the RMA, good. If not, I would demote the drive to "non crucial data storage".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Um, how old are these drives? Both of them have thousands of power-on hours and start/stop-counts, which would probably indicate several years of use.

EDIT: Just asking, because are you sure they're even under warranty anymore?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Both are throwing SMART errors, RMA both. One of my 3TB drives showed 8 reallocated sectors last week, to the trash bin it went. Lol

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

how old are these drives?

The 2.5" is about 4 years old but is a WD black and has a 5 year warranty and therefore I would expect it to last 5 years of realistic use. The removable HDD is 2-3 years old and still has another year of warranty

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I would personally try and RMA it with WDC

I agree and think I may try, however I have to pay postage to WD and if they don't replace it then I'll have to pay return postage too :( and sure that's only maybe $30-40 total but I'm a student and I'd rather not part with money unnecessarily.

Thanks for everyone's swift replies btw.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Um, how old are these drives? Both of them have thousands of power-on hours and start/stop-counts, which would probably indicate several years of use.

Well 173 full days for the bottom one.. if I read correctly. Could be if always plugged in / used right?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

17 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Well 173 full days for the bottom one.. if I read correctly. Could be if always plugged in / used right?

Used during the day for university work, and used at night for music/dj-ing. That's probably why the value is so high.

4 minutes ago, TheCommentator123 said:

Used during the day for university work, and used at night for music/dj-ing. That's probably why the value is so high.

Oh I don’t see how that is much use, that’s what I meant, but could be reading it wrong somehow 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Hi everyone, So I contacted WD and they got me to install their software and it passes their smart test (I presume because it hasn't actually failed yet)

Might be a dumb question but should I start saving and deleting lots of random data to try and make the drive fail so I can send it back? ?

Thanks

Edit: after digging around in their software the current pending sector count cannot be justified for a warranty. The 3 attributes that will result in a RMA are: 

The raw read error rate, the spin up time and the reallocated sector count.

This might mean that my internal drive with 138 reallocated sectors cannot be RMA'd yet due to not reaching WD's required warranty attribute value - sucks.

I would try and push the issue with them. Pending sectors are left pending if the data can not be remapped. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Personally I'd discontinue use of both disks for anything important. Get your important data elsewhere if not already done.

If WD wont take them under warranty in current condition, I'd do the following process.

Run the WD tool and do a full surface read. This doesn't fix anything, but will at least detect if there are more regions going bad that haven't already been picked up.

Run the WD tool and do a full surface write. This will wipe the disk. It will also allow it to reallocate pending sectors.

Run the WD tool and do a full surface read. This verifies there are no pending sectors left.

There is a chance it might find deeper degradation which might also allow RMA. If not, I'd only use them for replaceable data e.g. game installs.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

15 minutes ago, porina said:

Run the WD tool and do a full surface read.

I was just doing this and the disk has just suddenly formatted from NTFS to RAW again. What is happening? When I reformat it goes back to NTFS and everything seems fine.

1 minute ago, TheCommentator123 said:

I was just doing this and the disk has just suddenly formatted from NTFS to RAW again. What is happening? When I reformat it goes back to NTFS and everything seems fine.

The read test shouldn't do anything to the data on the drive. Maybe something else is going on but I don't know where to start on that. If you're going to do the write test afterwards, might as well leave it unformatted for now.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

28 minutes ago, porina said:

might as well leave it unformatted for now.

So I'd already formatted the drive before you posted this comment. Anyways, all seems fine to begin with, the disk appears in the file explorer as normal, but as soon as set the WD software to scan/do anything with the drive the drive becomes unresponsive for example when trying to access from the file explorer the drive shows "E:\ is not available Access is denied" - (the software also seems to be stuck in some infinite scanning loop or something)

However, upon unplugging and re-plugging the drive, it becomes responsive again.

1 hour ago, TheCommentator123 said:

Reply back to WDC about the RMA with this new information. Could be a controller issue.

Also I would still do this:

1 hour ago, porina said:

Run the WD tool and do a full surface read. This doesn't fix anything, but will at least detect if there are more regions going bad that haven't already been picked up.

Run the WD tool and do a full surface write. This will wipe the disk. It will also allow it to reallocate pending sectors.

Run the WD tool and do a full surface read. This verifies there are no pending sectors left.

Don't do anything in between each of these steps - if the drive shows as RAW, just ignore it and keep going until you've done a full surface Read, Write, Read.

After that, re-run the full diagnostics test.

WD has their own Diagnostic utility for testing their own drives. To make your life easier, where they'll accept it for an RMA, run their diagnostic tool and it will spit out a error code or message if it's bad. Then use that to do the RMA. Do note that the return drive you will get back are refurbished and from my personal experience they don't last too long either. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

my toshiba drive shows relocation sector errors on crystal disk info and hwinfo64 in less then a month..they accepted it back and give me a new 1...xD

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X 4.3Ghz (-0.1V)
  • Motherboard
    MSI MEG X570 ACE
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
  • GPU
    GeForce RTX™ 3060 EAGLE OC 12G (rev. 2.0)
  • Case
    Cooler Master MASTERBOX MB520 ARGB + Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB
  • Storage
    ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
    ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB 2.5" SSD
    Toshiba X300 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache
    TOSHIBA MG06 (MG06ACA10TE) 10TB 3.5 Inch 7200RPM Enterprise SATA Hard Drive
  • PSU
    Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
  • Display(s)
    Acer KG271B Gaming Monitor (HDR Ready 27" 1920X1080 240Hz) + MSI PRO MP241
  • Cooling